+ Reply to Thread

Thread: October air = fast passes...

Status

Default October air = fast passes...

Or at least i hope... Going out for the last outing at my local 1/8th mile this saturday.
    Going for a personal best with the weight ive shaved (150lbs) plus cooler air. (Best is 8.90 at 79)
    I will be running in the hard tire class, so i will have my cheap federal 595ss.
    So with those being a softer compound tire (200 tw) vs a typical highway tire (400tw) how much more receptive to being warmed up will they be? I know burnouts + hard tire is no no. But with a softer tire, should i smoke them pretty good or just clean them off?

Also kicking around running a short belt past AC and power steering while im there. Any real gains for a heavy street truck?
    2003 Dakota R/T CC Flame Red. Bolt ons, Built Trans.
    Dynotune Nitrous Wet system, 100 shot, FRP tuned. (SOLD! Gone but never forgotten)

Acts 2:38

Quote Originally Posted by SPelf View Post
    Or at least i hope... Going out for the last outing at my local 1/8th mile this saturday.
    Going for a personal best with the weight ive shaved (150lbs) plus cooler air. (Best is 8.90 at 79)
    I will be running in the hard tire class, so i will have my cheap federal 595ss.
    So with those being a softer compound tire (200 tw) vs a typical highway tire (400tw) how much more receptive to being warmed up will they be? I know burnouts + hard tire is no no. But with a softer tire, should i smoke them pretty good or just clean them off?

Also kicking around running a short belt past AC and power steering while im there. Any real gains for a heavy street truck?
    Clean em off.
    Some of my best passes when using a 7" slick were driving around the water box and simply going up to stage. No burn outs. When I switched to the super stock classes, I just warmed up the 9' slicks and drove to the line. The hotter the track, the less you do to heat tires up at this level.

Remember, "burn outs" started as showmanship. What funny cars started in the 60's with what was called the bleach box, was simply used as a crowd pleaser to make smoke. Bleach made tires super slippery but smoked them up good. Then every class started doing them. That is why they used to put rosin down on the track to gain back some traction back in the day.

Like regular cars putting in high overlap cams simply to sound like "race cars", I think "burn outs" are not cracked up to what people think they do.

I doubt there be any gains with bypassing a/c pulley. The a/c pump is not working that hard as long as there is no R-134 to compress.

Status

Right, like the guy in his bone stock Iroc Camaro that does a 45second 1 wheel peel and then proceeds to run a 17sec pass lol..

Good info though. I'll just drop the pressure a bit and clean them off. Hoping for decent 60ft , but this track is no prep and rugged. Basically a back road quality. Hard to get a good hook, even for big radial guys
    Dynotune Nitrous Wet system, 100 shot, FRP tuned. (SOLD! Gone but never forgotten)

Status

Daily driver? If not then take the wheels off and start prepping them to break the tire compound down some. Drive around the water box (unless its 'pour your own puddle') and back into it. spin until you get a light smoke. Dont bother dicking with the belt.
    Tire pressure has way to many variables for anyone here to help with. Thats all on testing and track prep.

Status

No not a daily. Just a weekend driver. Ive heard wd-40 and plastic wrap. Does that trick actually do enough to make a difference?

Quote Originally Posted by SPelf View Post
    No not a daily. Just a weekend driver. Ive heard wd-40 and plastic wrap. Does that trick actually do enough to make a difference?
    IDK. Someone was always willing to experiment with technique. I recall one funny car driver in the 60's that mixed his burnout bleach with his own urine.
    Tire pressure is always gonna be the dominant factor for traction aspects and that is going to be determined by the track and temperature.

When I was competing at national levels in SS/E, pressure would deviate from anything between 22 to 6 lbs for the exact same tires as niebs alludes to. Also, the slower the car, the less difference anything you do makes as far as "tricks"..

Don't sweat these little "tweaks" ppl come up with. They never seemed to make that much difference.
    I recall when "cool cans" were the rage. Never did anything for me with my 11.2 et 68 Mustang even when people would swear up and down they made a difference.

I have a friend who has a 64 Vette. Best of 9.88 et. He uses Goodrich street tires at 17 lbs. But those Vettes have 50-50 weight distribution. He comes out half throttle for about a car length then mashes it and hooks.
    Everything and everyone is different so a person needs to discover their own goldilocks area.

+ Reply to Thread