+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Question on timing.

Default Question on timing.

We did this with a "twist" of the distributor in my day.
    Different world today.
    It's been advised to take out timing as a result of engaging a power adder so one does not detonate. This is part of "the tune" I surmise.
    Because of all this electronic crap, is there any correlation to advancement of cam cut (mine is at +4) and ignition timing?
    In other words, if you're running say nitrous and your cam is cut to 4* advanced if placed straight up, if you're supposed to take out 1.5* per 50 hp shot, does the cam advancement have to be taken into consideration?

Accumulating parts...

Status

Timing is part of the tune, yes. Computer controlled.
    Moving the distributor will mess with your fuel sync which is something else your tuner may have you adjust.
    12.10@106@Famoso Raceway

Status

Most the time people use a MSD box like the 6AL to pull timing for N2o.
    99 RT Fully built 365

Status

Yes cam timing will effect the ignition timing. Get the base, na tune/timign down then add the nitrous to it. Depending on the base tune will change how much timing you need to pull out while on the system.
    Read up on how to read spark plugs.
    And then buy a case of plugs bc you will go thru a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by niebs View Post
    Yes cam timing will effect the ignition timing. Get the base, na tune/timign down then add the nitrous to it. Depending on the base tune will change how much timing you need to pull out while on the system.
    Read up on how to read spark plugs.
    And then buy a case of plugs bc you will go thru a lot.
    So help me out here.
    I've read plugs based on carburetors and simple ignition with no computer control. Heat on electrode had to do with heat range. Porcelain showed you detonation. Base ring showed jetting.

So firing up with nitrous has to do with timing. So once timing is established and you are set up with fuel solenoids, is there enough adaptive memory in the computer to relegate fuel amounts for a nitrous shot?

I mean we used to change jets for fuel distribution. Now I have to rely on a computer?

Quote Originally Posted by 99lowdakota View Post
    Most the time people use a MSD box like the 6AL to pull timing for N2o.
    I don't have an "AL". It's just a 6A. Is there a component to connect for timing pull out for these?

Will a duel stage system mitigate the need for a window or WOT switch?

What is needed to shut down nitrous in case of fuel delivery problem?

Status

Quote Originally Posted by arro222 View Post
    So help me out here.
    I've read plugs based on carburetors and simple ignition with no computer control. Heat on electrode had to do with heat range. Porcelain showed you detonation. Base ring showed jetting.

So firing up with nitrous has to do with timing. So once timing is established and you are set up with fuel solenoids, is there enough adaptive memory in the computer to relegate fuel amounts for a nitrous shot?

I mean we used to change jets for fuel distribution. Now I have to rely on a computer?
    No. The stock computer will not add the fuel needed for the nitrous. At WOT the computer goes to a preset fuel/timing table thats loaded in the ecm. So if you dont have it tuned then it will be what ever the factory table will be. You will want to use a "wet" kit nitrous system. that will add the extra fuel (thru a jet) when the nitrous is flowing. You will need to change the jets to adjust the afr while spraying. You will still need to retard the timing somehow.
    Plug reading is the same for carb or efi. Ground strap mark shows timing, heat on the threads show heat range, base ring of porcelain shows afr.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by arro222 View Post
    Will a duel stage system mitigate the need for a window or WOT switch?

What is needed to shut down nitrous in case of fuel delivery problem?
    You will still need a way to activate the nitrous. I would look into a single stage and use a NX maximizer to control the system.
    Some systems will have a fuel pressure switch for a safety, or use a wideband o2 sensor as a fail safe.

Status

The simplest way for us regular folk is what I did, and just had FRP send me over a safe nitrous tune for the shot i want to run. Fueling tables and timing is already taken care of. And just use an AFR to make sure its not leaning out for some other outside reason (bad injector, weak fuel pump, etc.)

My system is simple, all on a panel
    Master arming switch
    Bottle heater ran onto switch
    Purge solenoid switch
    The go button is ran to a motion raceworks button (with the coil wire)
    Generic wideband to monitor. I use a push button just so i know for sure when im in or out of spraying.

Im sure some nitrous gurus will correct my setup for a safer and more advanced setup, but for someone who only goes thru a bottle maybe every couple months, its very consistent and a tune from Ryan guarantees the timing is safe
    2003 Dakota R/T CC Flame Red. Bolt ons, Built Trans.
    Dynotune Nitrous Wet system, 100 shot, FRP tuned. (SOLD! Gone but never forgotten)

Acts 2:38

Quote Originally Posted by SPelf View Post
    The simplest way for us regular folk is what I did, and just had FRP send me over a safe nitrous tune for the shot i want to run. Fueling tables and timing is already taken care of. And just use an AFR to make sure its not leaning out for some other outside reason (bad injector, weak fuel pump, etc.)

My system is simple, all on a panel
    Master arming switch
    Bottle heater ran onto switch

Purge solenoid switch
    The go button is ran to a motion raceworks button (with the coil wire)
    Generic wideband to monitor. I use a push button just so i know for sure when im in or out of spraying.

Im sure some nitrous gurus will correct my setup for a safer and more advanced setup, but for someone who only goes thru a bottle maybe every couple months, its very consistent and a tune from Ryan guarantees the timing is safe
    I'd feel safer with a "button" to press as well but with the exception of a pressure gauge that I can say is something else, I want nothing showing in the passenger space related to nitrous so I would want to hide all engagement switches some place such as inside the console. This will include the engagement switch, the bottle warmer, the remote bottle turner on-er , purge button and the controller niebs mentions.
    The shaker hood crap I have will cover any solenoids. I can hide any control boxes within the engine space.
    Heck, i don't want to even show a purge so I have to figure something for that as well.

This system will be strictly for the track as I'm not the type to "street race" any longer so why have a system such as a supercharger for a daily driver?
    My punk street racing days are long gone.

+ Reply to Thread