+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Head swap first THEN a cam swap.

Question Head swap first THEN a cam swap.

So due to money basically I want to just swap out my heads.
    I got a pair of eq's cheap that I took to the shop had them 5 angle cnc'd and all that jazz....
    I have 1.7NA(i know) Harland sharps on my old heads...
    I dyno'd my truck(it's on youtube) and I want to see the difference with JUST a head swap...now my question is. Can I do this swap?
    I understand I won't get as much HP as if I also swapped my cam with it.
    Can i keep my stock everything and just reuse my lifters,rods if i swap out my heads only and add the 1.7rockers?
    then one day...ill swap out my timing chain with the cam and all and see the HP difference....

Status

You’ll want to check pushrod length at the very least.

why/how would length affect the head swap? seriously asking not trying to sound smart.

Quote Originally Posted by robroy82 View Post
    why/how would length affect the head swap? seriously asking not trying to sound smart.
    If heads have a different deck height, this would most certainly affect push rod length. Did you have the heads cut to reduce combustion chamber cc? Even if you are just replacing these heads with no cutting, it is still wise to check pr length as heads can differ from manufacturer to manufacturer. If your Harlands are adjustable, that can take up some of the slack.
    If you eventually get a cam and are keeping your rockers, bear in mind what rocker ratio the cam is cut for.

As far as the lifters, you can keep them if you're not doing a cam just yet.

no i didnt pay for anything like that..just a bronze guide replacement and a 5angle valve job. otherwise stock EQ iron heads. not sure if they are 2.02 or not.
    Last edited by robroy82; 08-29-2020 at 09:20 PM.

Status

if i were you i would just wait till you are ready to cam swap as well. spend less money and just do both. and if you cam swap those 1.7s are going to be useless. you want 1.6 for less valve train turbulence. also when ever installing a new head or cam always check your PR length and where your rocker arms are riding on the valve tips.
    99 RT Fully built 365

+ Reply to Thread