+ Reply to Thread

Thread: First time down the strip

Status

Default First time down the strip

This weekend my buddy dragged me to the local 1/8th mile track, where I made my first ever passes. I learned that uniroyal doesn't make a good drag tire. I blew the tires off it and granny shifted to a 9.5 at 78. Then I didn't launch hard enough at all and ran a 10.3. Final pass I got it down to a 9.5 without spinning, but I know it has a ton left in it. Long story short, I am hooked, and need to start looking for a decent set of radials, and caltracs, and shocks, and.... Mostly I need to keep driving it and get to be a better driver. The biggest accomplishment is that this pile I built in my rented garage after watching a couple videos and reading posts online drove to the track where it survived idling in line for 20 minutes to get in, wide open throttle, and then drove home. I can't say thank you enough for all the info that is here, and I hope to be able to share what I learn too.

It is rather addicting. I made my first pass when I was three. While on my ride, I was called up by another tricycle driver. Down the sidewalk we went. Rubber burning, Pampers coming loose. Shit flying and I crossed the lights (the mother yelling at us to stop) first. Seemed like an eighth mile but probably wasn't. I was hooked. The rest is history.

Accumulating parts...

Status

Caltracs will definitely help at the track, but aren’t as fun on the street if you daily the truck. Even if they aren’t “loaded” they still have aluminum bushings that will wear faster and make a stiffer ride.
    I recommend finding a set of The 10-spoke 15x8 Dakota rims, and getting some drag radials for them. That will help you plant your launch, unless you’re making serious power or really making it a street/strip ride, hold off on Caltracs.
    12.10@106@Famoso Raceway

Status

Quote Originally Posted by GoFastGray View Post
    Caltracs will definitely help at the track, but aren’t as fun on the street if you daily the truck. Even if they aren’t “loaded” they still have aluminum bushings that will wear faster and make a stiffer ride.
    I recommend finding a set of The 10-spoke 15x8 Dakota rims, and getting some drag radials for them. That will help you plant your launch, unless you’re making serious power or really making it a street/strip ride, hold off on Caltracs.
    based purely on bench racing from similar builds and the guy that spec'd the cam and work the heads, I should be around 450 at the crank. It isn't my daily, but I do use it when I need to go to the lumber yard. sadly, with the 03 rear end in the back my factory 15's rub on the caliper bracket. I assume there are some steel wheels in a 15 that might clear though. I have thought about 3 links and the likes, but they are just thoughts for now.

Status

if you know how to set up Caltracs they will work for street and strip use. set them on a buddies truck and the thing drove like a caddy and hooked the best it ever did on the street. but you have to have 2 adjustments for them as if you drive on a track adjustment you will ride hard and your back will hate you after a little while lol
    99 RT Fully built 365

+ Reply to Thread