+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Looking for PIE GC Fan Shroud for '00+

Status

Default Looking for PIE GC Fan Shroud for '00+

Anyone have one? My viper fan was on it's way out back when I was driving my truck (kept lunching relays), so bought a GC fan but couldn't get a hold of the shroud back in the day (pretty much got blown-off by Chris when I tried buying from him back then). Truck is still camped out in the garage, but the shroud is still on my list of parts, so...anyone have one lying around they feel like selling? Thanks!
    - Justin

'00 BW CC R/T
    '91 Graphite Turbo Targa Supra

F-Quick Myspace Facebook

Accumulating parts...

Status

I just had Rudy re-wire my whole Viper set-up. Mine ate a relay and melted some of the fuse box, then motor went out, than was eating fuses. Found an exposed wire, but completely re-did everything and now it’s working great.

If you want to go to GC, can’t you grab a shroud on RockAuto?
    12.10@106@Famoso Raceway

Why do these things keep lunching relays with electric fans? Are the alternators big enough on the R/T's to warrant a 30-40 amp draw?

Status

Quote Originally Posted by arro222 View Post
    Why do these things keep lunching relays with electric fans? Are the alternators big enough on the R/T's to warrant a 30-40 amp draw?
    Obviously idk the OP's set up but, I find most the time people have issues with launching relays and blown fuses is because 1. They dont have it properly wired. or 2. They have a bad component and cant trouble shoot down to it.

There is no issues with the factory alt other than putting out too much AC voltage and back feeding the ground. but thats another issue. and is mostly only a problem for the Diesel powered trucks as i think there ECM is more fragile to that thing.
    99 RT Fully built 365

Status

Whats it look like. I may be able to fab one up. I have the rad out of my 01.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by GoFastGray View Post
    I just had Rudy re-wire my whole Viper set-up. Mine ate a relay and melted some of the fuse box, then motor went out, than was eating fuses. Found an exposed wire, but completely re-did everything and now it’s working great.

If you want to go to GC, can’t you grab a shroud on RockAuto?
    You remember what the factory "shroud" looked like - it was garbage...lol.

Quote Originally Posted by 99lowdakota View Post
    Obviously idk the OP's set up but, I find most the time people have issues with launching relays and blown fuses is because 1. They dont have it properly wired. or 2. They have a bad component and cant trouble shoot down to it.
    Fan was wired properly, but was full manual control -- each speed had it's own relay, I had the main on/off switch and a switch for hi/lo. I believe I was using 10ga or 12ga wire for everything as well, which was thicker than the factory wires coming out of the viper fan motor. 12V source was switched, so it wouldn't drain the battery, and relays IIRC were rated for at least 30-40A.
    - Justin

'00 BW CC R/T

F-Quick Myspace Facebook

Status

Figured I'd update this -- back in November, I got the truck driving again and borrowed the clamp-on DC current meter while at work. From a dead-stop, low speed in-rush current hits at 50-60A, then tapers down to 20-30A during fan operation, and hi-speed will hit over 90A, then level off to right around the 40A mark when the fan is at operation speed. (If) I (may) stick with the Viper setup, I'll be redesigning the wiring and controls to a high-amp solid-state relay setup that will take those in-rush current levels and be ok, and probably step up the wire gauge on the fan motor itself so it doesn't keep cooking wiring. From what I've seen on the viper forums, these fans are also notorious for frying their factory wiring and fuse block, so there's also that...

It'd still be nice to get a hold of the PIE shroud so I have another option than sticking with the Viper fan, especially if they ever become obsolete enough that I can't repair/replace it.
    - Justin

'00 BW CC R/T

F-Quick Myspace Facebook

+ Reply to Thread