+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Which transmission line is the pressure line?

Status

Default Which transmission line is the pressure line?

Is there an easy way to tell which transmission line is the pressure line? I just changed my a/c condenser and instead of removing the radiator I just unbolted it and moved it back enough to get the new one in. Now when I start it up the trans temp and o/d light come on, sometimes they just stay on for a second after the bulb checks and then go away. I had this problem a couple years ago and this is the first time it's happened for probably 2 years. I'm wondering if that drain back valve is a problem when I was moving the radiator back. Isn't it in one of the rubber lines at the bottom? I've got the factory auxiliary cooler. I need to figure it out because one of them is leaking too. I didn't have time to drive it after I recharged the a/c system. I plan on doing it tomorrow. I know my transmission lines need attention. They are original and looking a bit stressed at the rubber ends. Where is this anti-drain back valve? Is inside the rubber hose or is it a fitting? The manual explains what it does but doesn't show it. It just says it's in the cooler outlet (pressure) line near the radiator tank.

Status

If iirc looking at the trans from the driver side, the pressure line is the forward line and the rear line is the return. I will take a look tonight and try to get back with you
    99 RT Fully built 365

Status

I looked at my lines going to the auxiliary cooler tubes on the radiator. The oem part numbers on them appear to match the oem numbers of a 1998 Dodge Dakota R/T. Mine is definitely a 1999 built in October of 1998. One had part number of 52028784AD which a crimped end turning to a rubber hose, the other one had part number 52028782AE with a threaded on connection changing to a rubber hose up to the copper radiator cooler lines. According to the factory parts manual in 1999 both the return and pressure line should be the same part numbers. It appears to be leaking at the threaded portion where it changes to a rubber line. However, I see that neither one is still available. I was wondering if I get one from a Durango, Dakota, or Ram that uses that short threaded rubber line will it work. I'm not sure which hose has the drain back valve in it.

Quote Originally Posted by 99lowdakota View Post
    If iirc looking at the trans from the driver side, the pressure line is the forward line and the rear line is the return. I will take a look tonight and try to get back with you
    Your recollection is correct. Return is at back of tranny.

Status

Honestly if you just cut those rubber lines off and do a small flare on the end of the hard line then put some rubber line over the tube with 2 hose clamps and run them to the cooler. It will be just fine and not leak on you. That is what most people do. But; if you really want to get fancy you can buy an AN flare tool and cut those lines, put AN nuts on the end of the line and run AN lines up to the cooler. Thats what I did on my Cummins
    99 RT Fully built 365

Status

The shop called today that's working on my 99 and said both the cooler lines where it changes into rubber are starting to split badly. They said they tried a Napa that makes hydraulic lines and they could not fix these. I see the oem replacement complete cooler lines are no longer available for a 99 R/T but I see at least the pressure line is available aftermarket for an 03 R/T. Wouldn't it be useable since it's the same transmission and hooks up to the cooler tubes the same? Mine has the factory external transmission cooler on the front of the radiator so I need the complete lines from the transmission up to the cooper cooler quick connect tubes. Any idea what might work for the return line? A Durango or another year Dakota?

Status

Quote Originally Posted by wh23g3g View Post
    The shop called today that's working on my 99 and said both the cooler lines where it changes into rubber are starting to split badly. They said they tried a Napa that makes hydraulic lines and they could not fix these. I see the oem replacement complete cooler lines are no longer available for a 99 R/T but I see at least the pressure line is available aftermarket for an 03 R/T. Wouldn't it be useable since it's the same transmission and hooks up to the cooler tubes the same? Mine has the factory external transmission cooler on the front of the radiator so I need the complete lines from the transmission up to the cooper cooler quick connect tubes. Any idea what might work for the return line? A Durango or another year Dakota?
    Im telling you the best way to fix it is to use your old hard lines. Cut them then flair them for AN fittings. Then you can just buy an AN to barb and put some rubber hose on it that goes to the cooler and call it a day
    99 RT Fully built 365

Status

I'll let the shop know. I'm sure the shop can do it that I have it at. They're pretty handy at custom making things or altering. I ordered one of the Dorman 624-833 lines that was suppose to fit an 03 R/T but mine is a 99. It is the one I need but I'm not sure the whole line will fit but they will use the rubber portion because it screws off like on my original. I also ordered an nos line for the return which had the same part number except my original was 52028748AD and this one is 52028784AI. It said it fit 2000-2003 R/T's. That's the return line. The shop said my original return line is perfect it was just the pressure line that was bad. I'm going to ask him if he can do the conversion to AN fittings.

Status

All you need is the Flare tool to do it and a decent pipe cutter
    99 RT Fully built 365

+ Reply to Thread