+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Need inner Frame width measurement on short bed 2 wheel drive dakota.

Question Need inner Frame width measurement on short bed 2 wheel drive dakota.

Hello I think this might be my first post on here. Also dont flame me to bad. Lol I am building a 96 dakota short bed 2 wheel drive to drag race. My problem is with the full length hooker headers I am useing. There is no room left a exhaust system. So I have to cut up my stock transmission cross member or buy a custom one. Which I have found not it only fits 97 and up. So I am trying to find out what the width of the inner frame is on a 97 dakota. To see how much wider the 97 is compared to my 96. If it's close enough I think I might beable to mod it to fit my 96 frame.

Status

I have my trans crossmember removed from my 01. Do you want the overall length of that?

Sure that would work. I just need something to compare to mine. Could you post a picture of your crossmember?

Status

Yup, I will tomorrow.

Status
    Blog Entries

What motor are you planning ? Good luck.

Status

Hopefully these will help. This is out of my 01 Sport.

30 15/16" overall length

Quote Originally Posted by packard1 View Post
    What motor are you planning ? Good luck.
    Hi I will be runing a 11.1 360 magnum engine with the new small block trickflow heads. I hope it puts my gutted 96 dakota into the 10 in the 1/4 mile.

Status

depending on what you are looking to make for power and the type of suspension you have you might be looking more like an 11. I'm willing to bet that your Dakota still weights about 4K even tho its gutted and if you dont have good shocks and some Cal Tracks in the rear you wont make the 60ft needed for a 10. It takes normally takes about 600WHP to get to 10s 1/4 territory.
    99 RT Fully built 365

CAUSEDODGEPATTERNBALDNESS

Status

You'd be surprised how "light" you can get them pretty quickly. My CC was just a hair under 3700 and still had iron heads, carpet, steel framed seats, and two R/T wheels left before I started pulling it apart lol.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by nitroram33 View Post
    You'd be surprised how "light" you can get them pretty quickly. My CC was just a hair under 3700 and still had iron heads, carpet, steel framed seats, and two R/T wheels left before I started pulling it apart lol.
    Yeah I'm currently sitting at about 2500 on mine. but it has nothing in it . I will be adding a cage and still retaining both driver and passenger seats. Hoping I can get it to weight about 3200 when everything is in there. Most Street cars are around this weight class so it should allow me to make it into a lot of classes for racing.
    99 RT Fully built 365

frame dimensions can be found on one of the corporate websites. just search "ram builder" and you should be able to find it. the site is for retrofit companies that make beds and cargo box trucks.There are also a bunch of wiring diagrams on there. Quite handy for things like doing a hemi engine swap swap. removed all of the helpful information from their website so they can sell their harnesses instead.
    1941 Dodge 1/2 ton, 493 twin turbo, EFI, 727, 4 wheel disc brakes, custom triangulated 4 link, DANA 60, Gleason Torsen diff,

2002 Dakota R/T RC, PX8, PPH Headers, K&N FIPK, Hotchkis TVS, 20" R/T chrome rims, BFG G-Force T/A KDW 275/35 ZR20 tires, Kenwood head unit, Kenwood speakers, RF amp, 8" RF Punch Z subs

1998 Dakota RC daily driver 5.9L, AX-15 5 speed, Hooker long tube headers, FRP tune

+ Reply to Thread