+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fuel pump horsepower ?

Status
    Blog Entries

Default Fuel pump horsepower ?

How much hp. will our stock pumps handle ?? how much hp. will the Walbro 255 handle ? Thanks again

Status

What combo are you planning. N/a or FI? pump gas?

Status

A stock pump is good for like 300-400HP but for how long is another thing. The Walbro 255 has about the same flow as a stock pump. A Walbro 300 is as far as i would go on the stock wiring in the truck. A Walbro 300 should be good for like 500Hp. I do know the stock ignition system is good for 500HP

Status

Check these guys out. I bought a Walbro from them several yrs ago. They had just introduced their 255, so I didn't want to chance it.
    https://treperformance.com/c-177-fue...uel-pumps.html
    99 DA CC R/T
    13.97@100 w/modded kegger & ported TB
    12.96 @103
    10:8-1 .30 over forged bottom end
    R/T ported heads
    Detroit locker 4:56 gears
    Built 46RE MSaine 3500 stall Ultra Billet
    http://imgur.com/a/lOVuZ

Status
    Blog Entries

THANK YOU.. Good web site for info on pump..

Status
    Blog Entries

Sorry this is an 2003 5.9 ,,now a 408 planning on building a 4.250 stroker with better heads etc. I'll have to call them with year etc..Thanks for the help..

Status

Your best bet is to just open the tank and put in a Walbro 450 and a new wire harness for the pump. Then call it a day. You will need the hypotek fuel basket bracket tho to do so.
    99 RT Fully built 365

Status
    Blog Entries

I just put in a TRE-343 HF which flows 340 lph. which is supposed to support 800 HP . with my future 427 build should supply enough fuel.

Supporting Vendor

Status

The stock pump is a Walbro 190 LPH. The Walbro 255 is 255 LPH, which is good for about 665 crank hp, @ 50 psi, and 13.2V, naturally aspirated.

HiPoTek carries parts, DIY kits, and ready made drop-in fuel pump modules. http://stores.hi-potek.com/air-fuel/

While I'm not knocking TRE, you tend to get what you pay for. A $69.99 kit cannot be of the highest quality. I see they specify the part number for the Dakota as the 340 (Sounds like the Aeromotive 340) but is in fact rated at 255 LPH. This may be fine for some people, but it is not a Walbro pump.

Status
    Blog Entries

Somebody on our site recommended the TRE is why i went with it , i called TRE and they said the 255 lth. would be pushing it to supply 550- 600 HP. they said to use the 343HF to be safer.. With all my mods i should be 550 HP. area @ crank . Any extra fuel is controlled by the regulator.. The TRE-343HF is $99.00 ,, I read a ton of articles on fuel pumps, they disassembled the pumps and found majority had same internal parts, dirt particles played a major roll in failures..
    I guess I'll find out how good there pumps are, it's already installed.. I've heard good and bad on everybody's pumps, luck of the draw I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by packard1 View Post
    I just put in a TRE-343 HF which flows 340 lph. which is supposed to support 800 HP . with my future 427 build should supply enough fuel.
    You need to get that down to "426". People will think you put in a Chevy engine if you get placards for the truck saying "427".

Status
    Blog Entries

It's a 4.250 stroke - std. bore which is 427 .. I like long strokes. I know what you mean though...no placards - the truck will do the talking.

+ Reply to Thread