+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Truck not starting and intermittent stalling

Status
    Blog Entries

Default Truck not starting and intermittent stalling

Went to take a ride this weekend, started the truck up and let in run a few seconds, as soon as I put it in reverse and let off the brake the truck hardly rolled and died. Tried to start it again with no luck. I could hear the fuel pump and it was cranking over strong. I disconnected the battery for an hour or so hooked it back up and still the same shit. A little later it fired right up. I went for a about a 10 mile ride and just before getting home I got on it a little bit and it stalled intermittently like it was losing spark. Luckily it made it home. Everything I read was pointing towards the crank sensor. Any advice is appreciated thanks!

Status

Codes?
    Mike Williams

98 DA RC GrapeJuice
    99 BLK CC (Buy Back)
    00 BLK RC ProCharged -Hotchkis - on and on (Sold)
    01 AF CC (Leased - Turned in)

Status
    Blog Entries

Not throwing any codes

Status
    Blog Entries

I want to drive it around a bit to see if it will throw any codes but I also dont want to take the risk breaking down

Quote Originally Posted by Joe2000DakotaRT View Post
    I want to drive it around a bit to see if it will throw any codes but I also dont want to take the risk breaking down
    Unfortunately, this could be 4 things: the crank sensor as stated, the cam sensor, rift in wiring or a bad pcm. You may or may not get a code in the 0340 range and I've seen no codes thrown. If it were me, I'd change out the cam sensor first because it's the easiest fix w/o too much money.

Your signal sent to the pcm is being interrupted and is why the engine is shutting down. This can be caused by any the above scenarios.

Status
    Blog Entries

Thanks for info arro.

Status

IAC valve maybe.
    Have you disconnected the battery for a while and let the modules reset? Something may be stuck on stupid lol.

Status
    Blog Entries

Ya I left the battery unhooked for a few hours

Status

Bad battery ??

Status
    Blog Entries

Battery good and connections good.

Joe, let the truck idle a bit until it warms up and see if it shuts down. At that point, do the key code thing to see if it shoots out a code on failure.
    Try key code out before you start the truck for the experiment. The reason I say this is
    when my transmission transducer went, I had no code even after I limped home. I waited two days and tried the key twist thing again and sure enough, it popped the code.

If no clues are given, get thee a new cam position sensor.

Electronics can suck at times.

Status
    Blog Entries

I'm not familiar with the key code trick could you explain?

Status
    Blog Entries

I'm not familiar with the key code trick could you explain?

Status
    Blog Entries

Googled it lol gonna give it a shot. I've always owned GM still learning the Chrysler tricks lol

Status
    Blog Entries

Just fired her up. Idled for about 10 min and died. Tried to start again its dead

Just fired her up. Idled for about 10 min and died. Tried to start again its dead
    Any code? Ya gotta twist the key somewhat quickly three times just until the dash lights come on and on the third try, it should pop codes on your odometer. If no codes, it'll say "done".

Googled it lol gonna give it a shot. I've always owned GM still learning the Chrysler tricks lol

I was in the exact same boat 4 years ago but with Fords and was at the burgeoning of what is the foundation of what we do now at the track. Have a lot of engine building experience but with this "electronic stuff", I was/am a babe in the woods.

Status
    Blog Entries

Thanks arro. Ya electronics are a bitch. It wouldn't start back up last night, just got off work and tried it and it fired right up. Gonna see what happens I wish it would throw a code.

Thanks arro. Ya electronics are a bitch. It wouldn't start back up last night, just got off work and tried it and it fired right up. Gonna see what happens I wish it would throw a code.
    At this point Joe, just replace the cam sensor under the distributor cap and rotor. See what happens. It's the simplest and cheapest fix afforded right now. I'll explain further if that doesn't work.

-Zen-

Status

Welp - as of 30mins ago I'm literally in the exact same boat as Joe2000 here.....
    Won't thread jack, just venting, and interested in your solution.
    No codes, battery tests good, strong crank, 1st visual look over appeared ok.

Home School Valedictorian

Status

Is there spark when it doesn't start?

There is a voltage test for the cam position sensor.

"Excuse me if I have some place in my mind, where I go time to time"

Quote Originally Posted by 9t9-5.2 View Post
    Is there spark when it doesn't start?

There is a voltage test for the cam position sensor.
    There are also tests for the crank sensor, pcm and injector involvement with a noid light. I don't know what the op has in terms of equipment but replacing the cam sensor is a less than 5 minute job and cheap to do.

If that doesn't work, there are other tricks to use. We'll see but I'm quite certain we can get him running again.

Status
    Blog Entries

Got bought a new crank and cam sensor. I was confused as fuck because on the these trucks I finally found out that the cam sensor is what I've always known to be called the pick up and on other dodge motors its totally different. I'm going to change the parts out tonight or tomorrow and I'll keep you guys posted. Again I appreciate all the help everyone!

Status
    Blog Entries

Oh and last night she fired right up and idled for 20 min and died. Went to start it fired up no problem. I let it run another 30 min. No issues other than I wish it would of thrown a code

Oh and last night she fired right up and idled for 20 min and died. Went to start it fired up no problem. I let it run another 30 min. No issues other than I wish it would of thrown a code
    The only other thing that might have picked up code is a scan tool...and not one of the cheaper ones either. Perhaps an auto store near you would allow for the use of one of theirs with a deposit as they do here.

Change out just the cam sensor (pick-up) first Joe. If that doesn't work, I'll clue you in if you wish to change the crank sensor with a test to see if your old one was truly bad.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast