+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Oil pump issues

Status

Default Oil pump issues

So a couple of weeks back I noticed a small coolant leak and found that it was coming from the timing cover.
    After tearing down the front of the motor I noticed that the balancer was coming apart, no big deal bought a new one.
    Of course I damaged the oil pan gasket removing the timing cover.
    I dropped the exhaust, jacked the motor up and wrestled the pan off which is not an easy job.
    My truck has about 140k on the clock and I couldn't see putting the old oil pump back on since you have to drop it to get the pan off.
    So I bought a sealed power high volume pump.
    Got it all back together and guess what? .....No oil pressure at idle but about 40lbs at 2k rpm.
    Bad pump?
    1999 R/C Solar yellow

Status

Try replacing the the oil sending unit first

Status

Or, maybe the relief valve on the pump is stuck.
    Edelbrock Magnum heads, Harland-Sharp 1:6 RR, Jomar Performance Ultra-Lite Stud Girdle, SoutheastPerformance Sheet Metal Valve Covers, Custom Hyd Roller from Reed Cams, Mopar M-1 2 Brl Intake, Hughes Stage 1 TB, JBA SS Headers, Jacobs Electronics Pro Street Ignition System and Wires, MBRP 'Cuda Style Exhaust, Western Chassis 2" drop front and rear, Edelbrock IAS Shocks, Terry DeLong Pro-Glass Shaker Hood

Status

Quote Originally Posted by kota360 View Post
    Or, maybe the relief valve on the pump is stuck.
    This is what I'm thinking, I miss my big block......it was a 10 minute oil pump change.
    1999 R/C Solar yellow

Status
    Blog Entries

First,, put a master mechanical gauge in place of oil sender for test purposes,, second i've had issues with hv. pumps with excessive oil press. ,stock pump works great.. personally if oil press was good prior,,i'd drop the pan and put the stock pump back in if press. low or a new stock pump.. My 2 cents.. good luck.

Status

I didn't install a high pressure pump just a high volume, and that has never been a problem with any motor I've built.
    I have no intention of rolling around on my garage floor to drop the pan again so I'm going to trailer it to my sons shop and do it on the lift should be much easier.
    I'm going to install another HV pump after trimming the baffle in the pan to clear the pump so we can install the pan after the pump is installed.
    The way the pan is designed you have to drop the pan as far as you can and then unbolt the pump to get the pan off, installation is the same in reverse and that leaves room for all
    kind of mistakes to happen.
    1999 R/C Solar yellow

Status
    Blog Entries

Sorry,,bad reading,,most guys put the high volume high press. pump on and too much press.. i've got a full billet lower end with stock pump, carries great oil press. even with added clearances in bottom end from scat.. i'd still put master mechanical gauge on it.. Good luck.

Status

Mystery solved.. the pump wasn't seated properly in the main and cracked the housing and the drive in the pump.
    So we trimmed the baffle out of the four wheel drive pan so we could actually bolt the pump in and then install the pan, much better!
    1999 R/C Solar yellow

+ Reply to Thread