+ Reply to Thread

Thread: computer advice

Default computer advice

So I am about to venture into this computer tuning crap. Ryan works this through emails is my present understanding after connecting an SCT for input. Will a Chromebook do this or do I need something different?

Status

I’m sure Ryan could answer that for you.

CAUSEDODGEPATTERNBALDNESS

Status

As far as I know, the Livelink software only works with Windows Vista/7/8/10. There are was to emulate Windows on Macs and Chromebooks, but you're better off with an actual Windows laptop.

Quote Originally Posted by nitroram33 View Post
    As far as I know, the Livelink software only works with Windows Vista/7/8/10. There are was to emulate Windows on Macs and Chromebooks, but you're better off with an actual Windows laptop.
    Yeah I agree. I bought a used one with Windows Vista. It was so terrible I couldn't get to any sites because all the "security" aspects were non supported. Sent it back and now looking for one with 10 on it.

CAUSEDODGEPATTERNBALDNESS

Status

That's because the newest possible Vista laptop you could have bought is 11 years old lol, that's ancient for a PC.

Status

any current windows based computer should work just fine.

I use an MSI that I bought New 6 months ago. (Windows 10) Got a smoking deal on an open box return at BestBuy. $1100 for a $2400 comp.

All these years away from Windows I'm get really annoyed with Windows 10, but it is a lot better than previous versions.
    Tha DakFink: 1999 Solar Yellow R/Three 468cui, W9-RP heads, Twin 76mm Turbos, Powerglide Trans. , Bob's Fab Shop 25.3 SFI Chassis for 10.5W racing .
    (Still in the Fab Shop)

Hot rodder rule of thumb....every $1 invested in head flow is roughly worth $3 in the short block

Quote Originally Posted by nitroram33 View Post
    That's because the newest possible Vista laptop you could have bought is 11 years old lol, that's ancient for a PC.
    I'm finding out a lot about this computer crap. I HATE them is one thing. To be involved with them "tuning" a vehicle is like having an affair with Medusa for me.
    Adobe Dave had the right idea. Carb, distributor, coil. Done.

Seriously, I'm so out of my element with this, I'd prefer going to the dentist.

Quote Originally Posted by dakfink View Post
    any current windows based computer should work just fine.

I use an MSI that I bought New 6 months ago. (Windows 10) Got a smoking deal on an open box return at BestBuy. $1100 for a $2400 comp.

All these years away from Windows I'm get really annoyed with Windows 10, but it is a lot better than previous versions.

I have a MAC desktop. They are so simple that I was taught to use them by a chimpanzee I know.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by arro222 View Post
    I'm finding out a lot about this computer crap. I HATE them is one thing. To be involved with them "tuning" a vehicle is like having an affair with Medusa for me.
    Adobe Dave had the right idea. Carb, distributor, coil. Done.

Seriously, I'm so out of my element with this, I'd prefer going to the dentist.
    Thats a possibility! If thats what youre comfortable with, then convert over. Carbs still make tons of power.

Quote Originally Posted by niebs View Post
    Thats a possibility! If thats what youre comfortable with, then convert over. Carbs still make tons of power.
    How much I would love to niebs. My crumby state has emissions testing with an exemption on cars being 25 years old. Would have 5 more years to go and I'm not parking it for that long.

Although it's a really ungrateful thing, but I think it's useful to gain that kind of car tuning experience!

+ Reply to Thread