+ Reply to Thread

Thread: To lock or not to lock

Default To lock or not to lock

So I'm in touch with Martin Saine about a tranny build. One of the questions as to what I want is about a locking converter or not. I hate the way the truck bogs when it locks up but I do not know what I give up with a non locking converter.
    This is mostly a street driven truck that has the requisite cam , heads, intake, headers etc, etc. Some say the tranny acts more like a 727 with a non-locking tc. Knowing next to nothing about these parameters, I ask for others experience on the matter.

Home School Valedictorian

Status

I had Ryan set up my tune to lock up in OD only. I get the benefit on the fuel mileage and no convertor slip in OD and no low speed bog in 3rd gear.

"Excuse me if I have some place in my mind, where I go time to time"

Quote Originally Posted by 9t9-5.2 View Post
    I had Ryan set up my tune to lock up in OD only. I get the benefit on the fuel mileage and no convertor slip in OD and no low speed bog in 3rd gear.
    Oh boy. Something else with the mysterious electronics and tune crap. Thank you.

Status

Lock for sure. It can be set to lock when ever you want. or not lock at all. But its really a no brainer if your not class limited or anything and do all street driving.

Status

What size converter you going with ?

The converter will be Martins 2800. The track will be only a couple times per year or so as it's over a hundred miles to get there.

I feel I'm losing at least a few tenth's with this bog baloney. AFR dips into the mid 11's when it happens and feels like the truck is trying to "catch its breath" so to speak.
    Don't know if it needs a bigger TB as it came with a 52mm. Might need a 55mm. Cam is only .216-.226 @ .50.

I had Martin make it so that the converter never locks when OD is off and back to normal operation when OD is on.

2003 CC
    360 Swapped, FRP Tuned, 2.02 EQ Heads, 210XP cam, HS 1.7 RR's, Fastman 52mm TB, Mopar 2bbl M1, Mopar/PPH Headers, 2.5" True Dual, X-Pipe, Hooker AeroChambers, Hi Flow Cats, MSD Coil, Cloyes Double Roller Chain, JGC fan, 180F T-stat, Mopar Valve covers, K&N FIPK, PATC 2800 Stall, Martin Saine VB, Mildly built trans, 4.10 gears.
    249 HP/322 TQ FRP Tune (Old build. New build TBD)
    12.35 @ 109 (150 Shot)

r/DodgeDakota

Status

Quote Originally Posted by arro222 View Post
    The converter will be Martins 2800. The track will be only a couple times per year or so as it's over a hundred miles to get there.

I feel I'm losing at least a few tenth's with this bog baloney. AFR dips into the mid 11's when it happens and feels like the truck is trying to "catch its breath" so to speak.
    Don't know if it needs a bigger TB as it came with a 52mm. Might need a 55mm. Cam is only .216-.226 @ .50.
    Sounds like the tune needs to be massaged. When is it locking up? What converter is in it now?

Quote Originally Posted by niebs View Post
    Sounds like the tune needs to be massaged. When is it locking up? What converter is in it now?
    Good question niebs. I never looked at the tach to see when this dog appears. It seems to lag on the 2-3 shift and then again somewhere in 3rd. Wanna say 3000-3500 but not sure.
    In it now is a 2800 tc and Viper shift kit.

Quote Originally Posted by SynRG View Post
    I had Martin make it so that the converter never locks when OD is off and back to normal operation when OD is on.
    So this is confusing. If I'm not interpreting 9+9's post incorrectly, I'm

not sure why this can be "built in" if the same thing could be achieved with a tune specific? Is one way advantageous over the other?

Status

Seems like factory tune.

Quote Originally Posted by niebs View Post
    Seems like factory tune.
    Yup. Ryan has not worked his magic as yet on this truck. Gotta get to this as soon as I get this head gasket thing sorted.

Quote Originally Posted by arro222 View Post
    So this is confusing. If I'm not interpreting 9+9's post incorrectly, I'm

not sure why this can be "built in" if the same thing could be achieved with a tune specific? Is one way advantageous over the other?
    I guess the one advantage is that you can revert the tune if you change your mind about lock up. Otherwise, you'll have to swap VB's.

2003 CC
    360 Swapped, FRP Tuned, 2.02 EQ Heads, 210XP cam, HS 1.7 RR's, Fastman 52mm TB, Mopar 2bbl M1, Mopar/PPH Headers, 2.5" True Dual, X-Pipe, Hooker AeroChambers, Hi Flow Cats, MSD Coil, Cloyes Double Roller Chain, JGC fan, 180F T-stat, Mopar Valve covers, K&N FIPK, PATC 2800 Stall, Martin Saine VB, Mildly built trans, 4.10 gears.
    249 HP/322 TQ FRP Tune (Old build. New build TBD)
    12.35 @ 109 (150 Shot)

r/DodgeDakota

Quote Originally Posted by SynRG View Post
    I guess the one advantage is that you can revert the tune if you change your mind about lock up. Otherwise, you'll have to swap VB's.
    Gotcha. Thank you.

+ Reply to Thread