+ Reply to Thread

Thread: dip stick options

Status

Default dip stick options

Any ideas what to do with the dipstick hole on a turbo application? I was thinking about drilling and tapping it out for braided hose and running it to the drain on the catch can. I cant seem to find a quality locking dip stick for an old 360 LA just a few universal pieces of junk.

Status

Whats wrong with using the oem dip stick?
    If youre pushing the dip stick out then you need a better crankcase ventilation.

Status

I guess i just didn't want to take the chance of pushing it out and dont need it really. i running 1 10 an per valve cover and each vale cover has its own PLM catch can . Was just thinking i could drain my can back into the engine

Status

I know your going to ask how to tell oil lvl i have a site glass plug in at oil lvl. I was just looking for alt ideas

Status

Is that a vented catch can or a closed system?
    I wouldnt return catch can oil back into the system. Its not good oil. It'll have water, fuel, and acid from combustion.

Status

vented i know i breaking the KISS rule lol

Status

ok crappy oil i'll just put a plug in it. I don't expect a lot of blow by on the boost i'm thinking about running. I kinda thought I was over thinking it

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Wideopen View Post
    vented i know i breaking the KISS rule lol
    Youre good. Vented is ideal. -10 on each should be ok. Keep an eye the oil amount collected. You may need to move the fitting towards the front of the covers. and make sure the baffling and filter on the can is not a restriction.
    Too much crank case pressure will make the turbos push oil.

Status

What do you think about boost control? Should i fork over the 500 for the turbo smart electronic? i have the manual one but not much faith in it. This is my first attempt with turbos i'm an old NOS guy and not that up to date on electronic control

Status

Guess that depends what you want to do with it all. Theres lots of boost control options out there. Nothing wrong with running off the gate until you get your feet wet. then add something later. Are you running aftermarket ecm? do you have on board air or co2? What kind of racign are you doing?

Status

I'm running a pro flo 4 ecm and no co2 system yet so i'm hoping for a decent street tune and be able to tune from the cab for the traction available. So i guess mostly street racing till i get a cage in. I'm running 2 VS 44mm waste gates and 1= 60 mm JG blow of valve with twin precision 76/75 turbos. I know the turbos are a little big but want them to be able to transfer to the 440 when the 408 pukes

Status

Make sure those 44 gates are in a premium location or you wont keep the boost down. That's a lot of turbo.
    Street wise. A boost by gear will probably be best. vs on the track where you curve boost by time.

Can you run boost with the pro flo 4?

Status

Edelbrock just updated the firmware for boost and NOS systems I really dont know because i've only played with the demo mode and need to install before i can link up. the only spot i have for waste gates are on the collector and plan on starting with the 6 pound springs I'm just starting to mock up stuff to make install easier and less time consuming 20200221_141312.jpg Thats the chinese turbos for my bike the 76/75's haven't come in yet I work on the road 11 months a year so i just have to do what i can when i'm home 20200221_092912.jpg

Status

your going to put the gates 90* in the collector? You may have issue with boost creep that way. You'll need to bypass a lot of exhaust.
    You may want to look into what the proflo can handle boost wise. Most of the basic systems only have a 2bar map in them.

Status

I planed on leaning gates forward on top as much as i can and still get pipe through the gap. Maybe i should get some stainless and move turbos up to the core support for more mounting options. Trying to keep the weight off the nose of the truck as much as possible but may have to sacrifice a few things forward of the core support. Ugg so much work and no time to do it. Getting a little off topic here lol thanks for the help Neibs this is going to be alot longer build then i expected with my time frame.

Status

LOL thats how it goes with builds. I would move the turbos for better gate location. Especially with the 44s.
    Sorry for getting off topic. but Its nice to see a good build on this forum. Im building a gen3 hemi turbo for mine. Working on the chassis now.

Status

I seen your frame you made me go and check mine lol I'm trying a small tire on leafs first but know i'll be back halfing the truck for bigs before to long. I just looked at 60mm gates at 500. each and TiAL never go on sale lol

Status

Just got off the phone with Edelbrock and it is a 2 bar system capable of 15 psi with added mass air sensor and a few other pieces of course and it tops out at 1050 hp. Should be good enough to break the engine in lol

Status

haha yeah i wanted to stay small tire on leafs for a while but ill be goign backhalf, 4 link with big tires now lol.

Nice on the 2 bar. That should get you use to everything for a while. 60mm can be expensive. The 44s will work just try to keep them in priority position. You want the exhaust to flow smoothly out of the gate.

Status

You have a boost referenced fuel regulator?

Status

I do return style and i got lucky on the pump i bought its a 90 psi pump may need 65 psi out of it. check out the post in power adders
    Last edited by Wideopen; 03-03-2020 at 01:22 AM. Reason: add on

Status

20200422_161034.jpg
    Another baby step( Still pretty cold here in MI) Got a 2 hour project completed on the turbo engine.

"Bleach Master"

Status

Lokar has locking dip sticks that will work, I run the midnight series and they are quality pieces that look great.

P.S. if you can't find the correct one listed then call Lokar, they have a bunch not listed on summit or online catalogs, I ended up using a Ford spec dipstick for my aluminum oil pan.

I used to run an LS spec dipstick in the stock location when I had the Moroso oil pan.
    This signature has been deleted thanks to photobucket!

Status

Thanks Slammed, I bought a Kevko oil pan with a Lokar for the pan I'm just going to plug the factory hole.20200423_102551.jpg

+ Reply to Thread