+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Cylinder heads

Status

I mean it is about the same amount of money for a Hemi crate as doing that. Which has everything you need to turn key a Hemi.
    99 RT Fully built 365

Supporting Vendor

Status

Stock hemi heads flow like 370ish iirc factory.
    According to the book: New Hemi Engines, the early 5.7 head flowed around 285 cfm. Later heads were up to ~320-340 cfm. But good porting can increase the flow substantially.

CAUSEDODGEPATTERNBALDNESS

Status

Quote Originally Posted by 98Dak408 View Post
    According to the book: New Hemi Engines, the early 5.7 head flowed around 285 cfm. Later heads were up to ~320-340 cfm. But good porting can increase the flow substantially.
    Check out the BGE heads on the 6.4 truck engines, they're bonkers lol.

Quote Originally Posted by 99lowdakota View Post
    I mean it is about the same amount of money for a Hemi crate as doing that. Which has everything you need to turn key a Hemi.
    I don't think in your wildest dreams you would not be over 10K with a good hemi crate motor and installation. There are so many cheap, junk builders out there it's pathetic. Price is very easy to be lulled with.

Status

Depends on what you're wanting to do. You can get complete 6.4/six speed setups for like 8k nowadays or a 5.7 and a Terminator X setup with a factory trans could be done for way under 10k if you don't start upgrading anything right away.

Supporting Vendor

Status

6.4 with 6 speed trans:

Some idiot scammer has this posted on facebook:
    https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...roduct_details

This is the legitimate sale of this item on ebay:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/12-SRT-8-6-...53.m1438.l2649

The price seems decent but you'd probably want to go through the engine to freshen it up.

Status

Got my 6.4 with 8 speed out of the back of a Range Rover on the south side of Detroit.. Substantially cheaper.
    Mike Williams

98 DA RC GrapeJuice
    99 BLK CC (Buy Back)
    00 BLK RC ProCharged -Hotchkis - on and on (Sold)
    01 AF CC (Leased - Turned in)

Home School Valedictorian

Status

Quote Originally Posted by evilrt View Post
    Got my 6.4 with 8 speed out of the back of a Range Rover on the south side of Detroit.. Substantially cheaper.

"Excuse me if I have some place in my mind, where I go time to time"

Quote Originally Posted by nitroram33 View Post
    Depends on what you're wanting to do. You can get complete 6.4/six speed setups for like 8k nowadays or a 5.7 and a Terminator X setup with a factory trans could be done for way under 10k if you don't start upgrading anything right away.
    I thought he said hemi "crate motor". That to me means something coming from oem or aftermarket rebuild with performance parts. The cheapest hemi Mopar crate motor is the 345 cu. in. for about $6500. That does not include tranny, electrical hook ups, motor mounts, etc. etc. The rest of these crate engines are 10-30K. Junkyard and take-outs are a different story.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by arro222 View Post
    I thought he said hemi "crate motor". That to me means something coming from oem or aftermarket rebuild with performance parts. The cheapest hemi Mopar crate motor is the 345 cu. in. for about $6500. That does not include tranny, electrical hook ups, motor mounts, etc. etc. The rest of these crate engines are 10-30K. Junkyard and take-outs are a different story.
    Crate motors are only for TV shows

Status

They have complete turn key swap crate packages out there. Check out Cleveland PAP. Pricey though. Ild buy a wrecked donor car before a crate package.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by niebs View Post
    My heads flow 320s/200s non ported
    Quote Originally Posted by packard1 View Post
    Who's heads ?? No heads out of the box flow 320 unless had massive porting or chry. race heads...,, i take that back, unless there victor heads..
    deciding if i want to go the big mouth or ported 360-1 heads ??
    no way your getting any stock pushrod location magnum head to flow more than 310. And as far as boost goes a good 300ish flowing head will make 1k HP maybe more from my calculations. if you honestly want to throw 4-5k at a set of heads just swap to a hemi. Stock hemi heads flow like 370ish iirc factory. Im 3k into my set of eddys and I wouldnt put anymore into them.
    I was just being a d!ck. I have 6.1 hemi heads going on my 5.7. But im looking into building a 6.4 now

Status

I was just being a d!ck. I have 6.1 hemi heads going on my 5.7. But im looking into building a 6.4 now

They have complete turn key swap crate packages out there. Check out Cleveland PAP. Pricey though. Ild buy a wrecked donor car before a crate package.
    Thanks niebs for that Cl. PAP info. I'll tell you one thing, I'd give my left nut for that Reverence Charger they constructed. I wonder what it sold for? (why do guys think their nuts are worth anything?)

Status

I was thinking about the 320-340 later style heads just thought it was more
    99 RT Fully built 365

Status

I don't think in your wildest dreams you would not be over 10K with a good Hemi crate motor and installation. There are so many cheap, junk builders out there it's pathetic. Price is very easy to be lulled with.
    I said a Hemi Crate not Hemi Crate Motor. A Hemi Crate is a stock factory engine that comes on a pallet and is turn key running on the pallet for 10k sometimes less. Comes with engine, trans, gas tank, throttle pedal, steering wheel, and key. Makes it so you can just drop it in and go in anything you want. And there are ways to do it cheaper. They make standalone harnesses/computer for people that find good deals on wrecked vehicles with good engines.
    99 RT Fully built 365

Status

Sorry i didnt get the sarcasm there in the original post lol
    99 RT Fully built 365

Status

I was thinking about the 320-340 later style heads just thought it was more
    Hotrod/MMX tested the Apache (along with the early 5.7, the 6.1, and the 5.7 Eagle heads) a while back and it was flowing 340+ on the 4.06 bore on their test rig, which should be more on the actual 4.09 bore a 392 comes with.

I said a Hemi Crate not Hemi Crate Motor. A Hemi Crate is a stock factory engine that comes on a pallet and is turn key running on the pallet for 10k sometimes less. Comes with engine, trans, gas tank, throttle pedal, steering wheel, and key. Makes it so you can just drop it in and go in anything you want. And there are ways to do it cheaper. They make standalone harnesses/computer for people that find good deals on wrecked vehicles with good engines.
    I'm not sure what you're trying to do here in terms of price comparison. Good heads that fit a 360-408 will cost $3500-$4500 depending on amount of work. I don't see getting a new "hemi crate" doesn't blow right past a set of decent heads money wise.
    You are looking at a 20-30 cfm difference from worked "stem in the way magnum type heads" compared to a 320-340 cfm hemi head and in order to get them, you need an engine swap and all the ancillary components requiring such as opposed to taking off an intake and heads and bolting on new heads. Some guys can take out an engine in under a half hour. Putting back the new one that never came with the vehicle is a different story. There are guys here who have made the swap and if they are still here. interesting to get their opinion on the matter.

The truth of the matter is for the average street/strip R/T, no matter which way you wanna go (with the exception of nitrous) you're gonna hit the 10k mark or more after all is said and done. Whether you go with a stroked 440, a factory hemi, or a sc'd or turbo'd engine (probably the cheapest way if one is good at fabrication) that came with the truck , after tranny work, ignition, intake, etc, etc, you're gonna be at 10k for the average joe. Just depends on how you wanna get there and how immune you are to "headaches".

Supporting Vendor

Status

I'm not sure what you're trying to do here in terms of price comparison. Good heads that fit a 360-408 will cost $3500-$4500 depending on amount of work. I don't see getting a new "hemi crate" doesn't blow right past a set of decent heads money wise.
    You are looking at a 20-30 cfm difference from worked "stem in the way magnum type heads" compared to a 320-340 cfm hemi head and in order to get them, you need an engine swap and all the ancillary components requiring such as opposed to taking off an intake and heads and bolting on new heads. Some guys can take out an engine in under a half hour. Putting back the new one that never came with the vehicle is a different story. There are guys here who have made the swap and if they are still here. interesting to get their opinion on the matter.

The truth of the matter is for the average street/strip R/T, no matter which way you wanna go (with the exception of nitrous) you're gonna hit the 10k mark or more after all is said and done. Whether you go with a stroked 440, a factory hemi, or a sc'd or turbo'd engine (probably the cheapest way if one is good at fabrication) that came with the truck , after tranny work, ignition, intake, etc, etc, you're gonna be at 10k for the average joe. Just depends on how you wanna get there and how immune you are to "headaches".
    10 of one, half dozen of the other. I'm sticking with the Magnum for now. I already have a lot into it. (Adobedude, krs1r/t, and Slammed R/T have some fast Magnums.) But a hemi swap, aside from an older, bone stock 5.7, is going to add up. If I could have gotten the BS facebook 6.4 with manual 6-speed for $1200, I may have considered it for the future. lol

Status

It really depends on what you're end goal are... Sub ~600 WHP and a Magnum based build with boost and ported Eddies/Trick Flows and you're fine. If you want to make more than that then the appropriate R3 blocks are basically unicorns at this point. With the 6.4 HEMI you've got a block that can take over 1k HP already, stock 6.4 cranks are doing 1k+ regularly too, and you've got heads that flow 340+ from the factory than can reach 400+ with porting or Thiteks if you really want to go nuts. A set of drop-ins with a truck 6.4 and you've got a 1300+ HP capable bottom end for ~6500 bucks. Add ~1k for a Terminator X kit and the rest you'd have to buy for whatever else you're doing anyway so it wouldn't be appreciably more expensive than doing anything with a Magnum except that you're more likely to find that it still exists since people actually care about the Gen 3s unlike the Magnums.

It really depends on what you're end goal are... Sub ~600 WHP and a Magnum based build with boost and ported Eddies/Trick Flows and you're fine. .
    Personally I'd be happy with 11.8's with the fat cc.

... or a 5.7 and a Terminator X setup with a factory trans could be done for way under 10k if you don't start upgrading anything right away.
    Once I have a few other projects completed, I'm 5.7 swapping a dakota and I'm going to spend WAY less than 10k... at this point I have a $500 dakota, a $450 5.7 & harness, an auto trans and manual trans from 2 vehicles i parted/scrapped and made a small profit on.
    1941 Dodge 1/2 ton, 493 twin turbo, EFI, 727, 4 wheel disc brakes, custom triangulated 4 link, DANA 60, Gleason Torsen diff,

2002 Dakota R/T RC, PX8, PPH Headers, K&N FIPK, Hotchkis TVS, 20" R/T chrome rims, BFG G-Force T/A KDW 275/35 ZR20 tires, Kenwood head unit, Kenwood speakers, RF amp, 8" RF Punch Z subs

1998 Dakota RC daily driver 5.9L, AX-15 5 speed, Hooker long tube headers, FRP tune

Status

Quote Originally Posted by wedged View Post
    Once I have a few other projects completed, I'm 5.7 swapping a dakota and I'm going to spend WAY less than 10k... at this point I have a $500 dakota, a $450 5.7 & harness, an auto trans and manual trans from 2 vehicles i parted/scrapped and made a small profit on.

Status

It really depends on what you're end goal are... Sub ~600 WHP and a Magnum based build with boost and ported Eddies/Trick Flows and you're fine. If you want to make more than that then the appropriate R3 blocks are basically unicorns at this point. With the 6.4 HEMI you've got a block that can take over 1k HP already, stock 6.4 cranks are doing 1k+ regularly too, and you've got heads that flow 340+ from the factory than can reach 400+ with porting or Thiteks if you really want to go nuts. A set of drop-ins with a truck 6.4 and you've got a 1300+ HP capable bottom end for ~6500 bucks. Add ~1k for a Terminator X kit and the rest you'd have to buy for whatever else you're doing anyway so it wouldn't be appreciably more expensive than doing anything with a Magnum except that you're more likely to find that it still exists since people actually care about the Gen 3s unlike the Magnums.
    You get what I was trying to say. I was just talking about the HP end goal. after 500hp in a magnum you should just switch to a hemi. Its going to cost less $$$ for more. I promises you Slammed R/T has more in his dakota then most houses are worth; thats why its fast lol.
    99 RT Fully built 365

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast