+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Cylinder heads

Status
    Blog Entries

Default Cylinder heads

Who has the best flowing magnum heads at reasonable price. Going on a 408. Thank you.

Status

Mopar... reasonable priced. Two words that rarely go together.

Also looking forward to others thoughts. Back in the day I got some of the first Aluminum R/T heads and visually they there wasn't a huge difference is port sizes. I did notice a big difference when installed on a stock short block, M1 and ProCharger.

New choices seem to be pretty limited.
    Mike Williams

98 DA RC GrapeJuice
    99 BLK CC (Buy Back)
    00 BLK RC ProCharged -Hotchkis - on and on (Sold)
    01 AF CC (Leased - Turned in)

From what I have seen, TFS now has a set of heads that work on the magnum and LA engine. You might want to look at that.

Home School Valedictorian

Status

Quote Originally Posted by packard1 View Post
    Who has the best flowing magnum heads at reasonable price. Going on a 408. Thank you.
    What do you consider a reasonable price?

"Excuse me if I have some place in my mind, where I go time to time"

As Ricky stated, Trick Flow's are pretty nice for the money @ a bit over $1100 per. Includes cnc porting, alloy bronze guides and 3/8" push rod slots. You must use a shaft type rocker like Harlands 1.5 or 6's
    https://www.summitracing.com/parts/t...0/applications

Status
    Blog Entries

Yes that's a fair price, problem with those on a magnum our intakes won't fit,,i already have a magnum air gap 4 bbl. with 2 bbl. adapter-manifold on engine. Was going to call ans see if heads have enough meat to drill for magnum intake.. They come with 190 cc. intake ports [cnc ported], nothings free just like to find best price.. Thanks.
    WRONG -- HUGHES MACHINES FOR MAGNUM INTAKE.
    Last edited by packard1; 08-07-2020 at 07:27 PM. Reason: correction

Supporting Vendor

Status

From what I have seen, TFS now has a set of heads that work on the magnum and LA engine. You might want to look at that.
    The Trick Flow is an LA head, period. Why they call it a Magnum head just confuses people. It requires the same installation procedure as an LA head when installing on a Magnum engine. In order to drill those heads for the Magnum intake will require a jig for set up. For instance, Hughes Engines has a jig for machining Magnum heads for the LA intake but doesn't have a jig for drilling LA heads to Magnum intake.

Status
    Blog Entries

I just called trick flow, your exactly correct, heads can't be drilled for magnum intake, the best answer for alum heads are the eddies, then step up to the plate to port them..
    Does anybody sell the plugs for intake push rod holes so i can port the intakes to eliminate the bulge,, i have a mill and porting equip. ,,was trying to get out of a ton of porting and machine work.. Thanks again..
    HUGHES can drill heads for Magnum intake...
    Last edited by packard1; 08-02-2020 at 08:27 PM.

Supporting Vendor

Status

Does anybody sell the plugs for intake push rod holes so i can port the intakes to eliminate the bulge
    I think you pretty much have to make your own.

I am considering this with my aluminum Eddy heads. I would machine my own plugs out of aluminum and epoxy/weld them in place. Then I’d have to determine the actual center line of the pushrod, and make sure I leave enough room for pushrod flex from side-to-side. Without using offset rockers, I can only go so far. Then I’d have to slot the plug from the bottom, and again from the top of the head. Otherwise I would need a cutter that is at least 2.5 inches long. I have the pinch point down to between .035-.040 wall thickness. IIRC, I may be able to open it up a total of .080 more by doing this procedure, without using offset rockers.

You might also sleeve it with thin wall brass tubing but you wouldn’t be able to go past the original pushrod tunnel diameter.

Note: increasing your minimum cross sectional area can help at this point but I wouldn't increase it by lowering the floor of the port. Raising the roof can help, but lowering the floor makes it harder for the air flow to turn the short turn radius and along the floor without separation and disrupting the flow.

"Bleach Master"

Status

Will also need to epoxy in tubes at two of the head bolt bosses, I forget which two, my eddie heads were done this way.
    This signature has been deleted thanks to photobucket!

Supporting Vendor

Status

Will also need to epoxy in tubes at two of the head bolt bosses, I forget which two, my eddie heads were done this way.
    Yes, that will improve flow as well. Here is an example of it by IMM: https://www.hotrod.com/articles/ccrp...ImageId=469682

While at the PRI (Performance Racing Industry) show last December, I attended two porting seminars, one by David Vizard, and the other by Mast Motorsports. I also spoke with Vizard’s assistant later on the phone, and in regard to the head bolt bulges inside of the intake port, he said he grinds the bulge out, and leaves it raw. He said he then uses sealant to seal the threads and the top of the bolt. I don’t think I’d do that on a head that requires a little more long-term durability though.

Status
    Blog Entries

Welding plug in is the best way to go for longevity, what are they doing with the guide plates when moving .200 atrea ?? The idea of 3/8 pushrods is tantalizing.
    This is what kills hp. on our 360-408 motors, the heads need to really flow 325+ cfm. on a 408 to perform like a chevy. motor [no offense meant] just stating fact.. If you've got the time and $$$ twin turbo's are the answer..
    [but] if your able to do your own porting the edelbrock is probably best way to go and do as hypo tech suggested with thin wall sleeve.. great thinking on thin wall sleeve..
    i just can't justify throwing $4,000-5,000 $$ at heads..Thanks again.
    Last edited by packard1; 03-03-2020 at 10:50 PM.

"Bleach Master"

Status

N/A cfm flow doesn't mean shit in a boost application, whole different flow characteristics needed.
    My old Eddie heads were non offset rockers, sleeves pressed in for maximum flow, they flowed right at 305-310ish from champion Racing heads. I made roughly 465whp in the dark ages.
    When I went to a 727 and carb, 950HP it made 515whp, my 410 with Indy 360-1 cnc heads makes a whole lot more, they flow in the 370ish range.
    This signature has been deleted thanks to photobucket!

Status

My heads flow 320s/200s non ported

Status
    Blog Entries

Who's heads ?? No heads out of the box flow 320 unless had massive porting or chry. race heads...,, i take that back, unless there victor heads..
    deciding if i want to go the big mouth or ported 360-1 heads ??
    Last edited by packard1; 06-28-2020 at 01:59 AM. Reason: correction

Status
    Blog Entries

Just ordered PIE [MAXPORT] called them by the wrong name,, got them mixed up.. getting old. hahaha..
    Last edited by packard1; 07-19-2020 at 09:23 PM.

Status

Never dealt with PIE, and was out of the loop for years, but their reputation seems to be pretty tarnished in the community.
    Mike Williams

98 DA RC GrapeJuice
    99 BLK CC (Buy Back)
    00 BLK RC ProCharged -Hotchkis - on and on (Sold)
    01 AF CC (Leased - Turned in)

Status
    Blog Entries

Hope i have better luck with there heads ??
    I'll find out in 3-4 weeks when i receive the big port heads from PIE , I checked on our website and all good about Chris at PIE . ??
    I'll let you know...
    Last edited by packard1; 07-17-2020 at 01:09 AM.

want more inchs STROKE IT

Status

Quote Originally Posted by packard1 View Post
    Hope i have better luck with there heads ??
    I'll find out in 3-4 weeks when i receive the big port heads from PIE , I checked on our website and all good about Chris at PIE . ??
    I'll let you know...
    I have dealt with Chris with all my builds. Never a problem. Great guy nice shop

Bad Luck Truck
    Current setup
    „R„block 429ci W5 heads 700hp N/A
    1/8 mile #'s 6.47@105 1.37 60’ 10.23@131

Old 1/4 numbers below with 408
    Fastest N/A 2010,2011,2014
    477-RWHP ?-RWTQ

11.244 ET @ 119.71mph N/A
    FOXHOLE RACING
    "If you like me good, if you hate me, even better!"
    Chris

Status

Pics please when you get them.
    1999 R/C Solar yellow

Supporting Vendor

Status

The Big Mouth heads are actually produced for Hughes Engines, and then sold to dealers/vendors such as HiPoTek and PIE. The Edelbrock display at the PRI show in 2019 show cased the Hughes Big Mouth heads. Relocating the pushrod tubes really complements the 2.08 valve size.

Status

no way your getting any stock pushrod location magnum head to flow more than 310. And as far as boost goes a good 300ish flowing head will make 1k HP maybe more from my calculations. if you honestly want to throw 4-5k at a set of heads just swap to a hemi. Stock hemi heads flow like 370ish iirc factory. Im 3k into my set of eddys and I wouldnt put anymore into them.
    99 RT Fully built 365

Supporting Vendor

Status

Just ordered PIE [MAXPORT] called them by the wrong name,, got them mixed up.. getting old. hahaha..
    Last edited by packard1; Yesterday at 09:23 PM.
    Marketing. It's still the same head.

Edit, I might call the Big Mouth heads on my website MAXFLOW heads.

Edit2, I forgot I already have them listed as SUPER MAXFLOW heads. LOL

http://stores.hi-potek.com/edelbrock...9-magnum-head/
    Last edited by 98Dak408; 07-20-2020 at 12:16 PM.

CAUSEDODGEPATTERNBALDNESS

Status

Status
    Blog Entries

Your exactly correct,, needs a hemi,,i would have done that if i was younger with more energy,, not an easy swap,, especially with computers etc. to function properly.. far easier to put 4.250 stroker - larger cam- heads - 3 in. ex. at it.. Yes an 850 hp. hemi would be delicious..

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast