+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: 408 And A 5-Speed - My Dream Build -

I gots to have mo'par-ts!

Status

Default 408 And A 5-Speed - My Dream Build -

So here I am...after over 11 years of ownership, this is my introductory post for a full fledged build on the R/T.

Now I remember fondly the day 'ol rusty blue 1987 Toyota Pickup 2WD 4 speed got wiped out by an unconscious driver in front of my house Thanksgiving 2008...

The accident was scary and thankfully no one was injured, including the driver of the red Dodge van amazingly. The careening van took out my truck sideswiping it before continuing to total my brother in-law's Corolla, also parked out front. The 'Yoda was my first truck and car with three pedals. The 2.4L 22RE engine was an unstoppable legend, but I thirsted for more than a one-tire-fryer with 105hp. Plus that thing was a tin can!!

As unfortunate that event may have seemed, it sparked a new path into the hunt for a new truck, one which I dreamed of owning one day...a 5.9L V8 Dakota R/T. During my quest, I quickly realized the R/T's only came in automatics. That didn't dissuade me from falling in love with an oh-so-sweet flame red 1999 extended cab, rust free from Florida with only 74,000 miles. I won the bid on eBay and flew down February of 2009 to drive it back up from Tampa to it's new home in NY.

It was such a memorable trip, I'll never forget the feeling of taking that flight down. The sensation of seeing and hearing it in person for the first time at the Tampa airport, as it rumbled in the terminal where the former owner drove up to meet me. Along the road trip back I had time to visit my grandparents and friends along I-95. I got to stop and see a few sights too, it was the ultimate sense of freedom and joy.

Since then I've been active through the years doing little mods here and there, pretty much just enjoying the truck with its power-plant in mostly stock form.

I've taken good care of her, and she's taken good care of me. I've had plenty of tire shredding fun, while also putting her to work hauling stuff around...

But now after 10+ years and over 70,000 miles of seat time, I'm excited to finally be going full bore and building up the truck how I always envisioned it...A 408 Forged N/A Shaker with a 5 Speed.

Wish me luck as I'm sure I'll need it , along with all the advice I can get!
    Last edited by JDreamR/T; 02-20-2021 at 01:59 AM.
    1999 R/T CC Flame Red (what's left of the paint)
    //SHAKER// 408 Forged // TKO600 5spd // Spintech-Mids // HiPoTek 106 LOPEYCAM // FRP Tuned //

Status

Sounds like itll be a fun build. Keep us posted with lots of pics along the way

GPz550 Addict

Status

Great story! You rebuilding yours, or going with a crate engine? I see the engine in the picture above, is that the engine you are rebuilding?
    DRTC #1176

2000 Bright White CC (1/553)
    Dyno'ed 07/05/13 (126,000 Miles) 230 Hp / 308 Tq
    14.6 @ 93 mph (2.18 60 ft.), 4130 lbs.(1/2 tank gas)
    Truck Pictures --> http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v9...Clough/Dakota/

1985 Kawasaki GPz550
    2003 SV650S (Race)
    1973 W100 Powerwagon

Mater: I don’t need to know where I’m goin’, I just need to know where I been!

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Corey View Post
    Great story! You rebuilding yours, or going with a crate engine? I see the engine in the picture above, is that the engine you are rebuilding?
    Nope that's just a 1968 gm250 inline 6 which I swapped into my 20ft boat. Haha would be funny if I swapped that into the R/T...lol
    Just wanted to show some of the cool stuff I've hauled around..
    //SHAKER// 408 Forged // TKO600 5spd // Spintech-Mids // HiPoTek 106 LOPEYCAM // FRP Tuned //

Quote Originally Posted by JDreamR/T View Post
    Nope that's just a 1968 gm250 inline 6 which I swapped into my 20ft boat. Haha would be funny if I swapped that into the R/T...lol
    Just wanted to show some of the cool stuff I've hauled around..
    You can get some more height out of the hood with that scoop. I put a half inch space over the tb on mine and adjusted the front nuts to be able to pop it out a bit more. This "Shaker" does nothing performance wise but looks kind of nice.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by arro222 View Post
    You can get some more height out of the hood with that scoop. I put a half inch space over the tb on mine and adjusted the front nuts to be able to pop it out a bit more. This "Shaker" does nothing performance wise but looks kind of nice.
    I'm with ya there, I did the same thing already adding a 1/2" spacer made all the difference

BEFORE SPACER:

AFTER SPACER:

Status

Here's the video that led to the new path of full rebuild action lol

Status

Ouch!

That does suck but you can do it and yea the engine has to come out because it is approached from both ends. Cam bearing tool for $65 or so will get the job done for you.
    These things are a true money pit.

Status

This was waiting for me after work

Status

These build updates are exactly what this site needs! Awesome!
    2003 Dakota R/T CC Flame Red. Bolt ons, Built Trans.
    Dynotune Nitrous Wet system, 100 shot, FRP tuned. (SOLD! Gone but never forgotten)

Acts 2:38

Status

Quote Originally Posted by SPelf View Post
    These build updates are exactly what this site needs! Awesome!
    Thanks! 4 LIFE!!

Last edited by JDreamR/T; 02-25-2020 at 12:58 PM. Reason: Fixed pics

Status

Getter done !

Status

Wow, going after it wide open! Good for you! I'll be watching your progress for sure.
    99 DA CC R/T
    13.97@100 w/modded kegger & ported TB
    12.96 @103
    10:8-1 .30 over forged bottom end
    R/T ported heads
    Detroit locker 4:56 gears
    Built 46RE MSaine 3500 stall Ultra Billet
    http://imgur.com/a/lOVuZ

DAKRT56

Status

Looking forward to seeing this come together!

Steve - 1999 Flame Red RC R/T-56
    Comp Cams | F&B | Mopar | Spintech | SCT | Hotchkis

Status

Quote Originally Posted by blackknight View Post
    Getter done !

Quote Originally Posted by 99dart View Post
    Wow, going after it wide open! Good for you! I'll be watching your progress for sure.
    Yeah man, not screwing around full steam ahead.

Quote Originally Posted by chrgr340 View Post
    Looking forward to seeing this come together!

Status

Default More parts arrived!

More parts showed up at my doorstep. Dropped them off at the engine shop today...letsgoooo!!!

Status

99 DA CC R/T
    13.97@100 w/modded kegger & ported TB
    12.96 @103
    10:8-1 .30 over forged bottom end
    R/T ported heads
    Detroit locker 4:56 gears
    Built 46RE MSaine 3500 stall Ultra Billet
    http://imgur.com/a/lOVuZ

Status

Default update - brakes

Little update. Got all the engine internals to the machine shop. While the block is getting machined - I'm still keeping busy doing other little jobs in the engine bay while everything is exposed.
    1st order or business is fabbing up new brake lines from SS. Last year I had a rusted out line I had to repair mid span along the frame. I'm not taking chances, even though the lines still look pretty decent in this area. Worst sections are always along the plastic hold down clips along the frame.

Wouldn't you know that this 90° junction block section was a royal pain to match up the threads. Each flare nut is of a different metric size, the Dodge engineers figured they would make it dummy proof, so to not accidentally swap the lines around.
    Anyways, I picked up some 3/16" Inverted Flare tee's to convert to standard SAE in this area, keeping everything consistent!

I got picked up a new fancy TGR flaring tool and a nice OTC Tools tubing bender from Amazon. Both work excellent!

Eastwood also carries some nice tools for this work, got this handy reamer tool also. For best flares I found it best to avoid using a regular tubing cutter, and opt instead for cutting the stainless tubing with a dremel cutoff tool. Then I hand file the end flush. I find that with stainless it's the best method for me and I get the best quality flares with no splitting on the inside folded edge. I believe the tubing cutter work-hardens the stainless as the cutting wheel is pressed into the material, and can lead to cracking when trying to form the inverted flare.

Status

Tonight I got the passenger side hard line finished, this was the most complicated line and longest of the two front lines...
    From the front right wheel, this line goes under along the cross-member below the radiator, back up along the driver's frame rail, and up to the junction block area mounted behind the left front tire.

wanna follow this one....admire you for taking the plunge

Status

get it done brother!
    Should be a blast.

Status

Thanks guys, been making small progresses. I pulled the 46RE out and removed the transmission crossmember. Anyone looking for one? Worked fine when truck was last running a year ago.

Status

So you know your a long standing member of the Jackstand club when you have birds building nests in your engine bay

Status

Must be that roadrunner beep beep horn attracting them

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast