+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tranny cooked?

Default Tranny cooked?

Coming home yesterday, I stopped at a light but when I took off, the truck seemed sluggish. I surmised it was stuck in 2nd. Would not shift to next gear or overdrive. Could leave from a stand still in first but manual upshift came late with no progression beyond second. Truck has shift kit and 2800 stall and never raced.
    This truck has 41,000 miles on it. Changed out tranny fluid and filter 3 months ago to Redline C+ATF which I understand came with the truck when I first purchased it 3 years ago.

Drove the remaining 12 miles to the house in second and got out and smelled tranny fluid. No leaks. Drained it out and indeed stinks and slight brownish in color.
    Ordered up new solenoid and sensor along with Mopar ATF+4 but concerned that the tranny may be beyond this. Any thoughts?

Well basically, yes it is. Took down the pan and found this black, very fine residue which would signify clutch and or band deterioration. Tranny probably didn't like the added hp of heads, cam and intake.
    I am in contact with Mr. Seine to see what the options are. Wish either I or he lived closer to each other as the freight going cross country is kind of steep.
    I can only hope that a fluid flush, new pressure switch and solenoid along with band adjustment can get me a few more miles until Martin wrangles up a new tranny or sells me the parts for one.

I understand that this is a known problem with the 46re of which mine happens to be an example of. Hope yours isn't.

Supporting Vendor

Status

I would park it until the trans is sorted out. Chances are it will only cost you more money to fix if you keep driving it causing further damage.

Quote Originally Posted by 98Dak408 View Post
    I would park it until the trans is sorted out. Chances are it will only cost you more money to fix if you keep driving it causing further damage.
    Yeah I'm not hopeful. At this point I know clutches and bands will need replacement. It heated up pretty good coming home in limp mode. I also know that many times a tranny fluid replacement will make things worse in a case such as this. Just need enough impetus to back it out of the garage and have it towed someplace because I am done with attempting to do a tranny take down on my back like when I was younger.

+ Reply to Thread