+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: HELP VETERANS! WOT IN DRIVE VS WOT IN 1-2-D(od OFF)

Angry HELP VETERANS! WOT IN DRIVE VS WOT IN 1-2-D(od OFF)

Transmission is fully built bad boy now DOING THE SAME THING before the rebuild...truck is not stock...m1 2barrel-1.7HS,clutch fan delete,thorley tri-y long tubes, 2.5 straight pipe, 52mm TB,CAI,
    need some help with this...its tuned from FRP standard email tune that i got a few years back
    https://youtu.be/TgVFiyg0Zm0

me having fun after i broke in the rockers...
    Last edited by robroy82; 02-14-2020 at 06:54 PM.

Status

TV Cable? If i set mine super loose it does the same thing
    Have you tried adjusting it?
    2003 Dakota R/T CC Flame Red. Bolt ons, Built Trans.
    Dynotune Nitrous Wet system, 100 shot, FRP tuned. (SOLD! Gone but never forgotten)

Acts 2:38

yes many times. I wish there was a other running dakota around me to see the difference at the tranny connection.
    My tv cable has no play down where it meets the tranny side. Like i cant move it forwards and backwards like i can on the one at the junk yard. they move and click pulling and pushing on the bracket attached to the tranny
    Also if you go to my youtube page i have a video up about the TV cable.
    thanks for the reply...its really hard to get them.

Status

Sounds like it still shifting in D just early. You need a good scan tool and watch data. Watching to make sure the output speed sensor is reading correctly and the tps is going to 100%. Was the governor pressure sensor and solenoid replaced?
    10.25 @131 SBE 5.9 360 turbo!!!

Check me out on YouTube - ThatTurboDakota

Yes the tranny was completely rebuilt from top to bottom....3000.00 worth
    now i have a obd wifi tool connected to my in-dash display..it has the read out with speed and such...it's accurate on the computer side for sure.
    i have a my SCT scanner and the only codes i have are O2 sensor related.
    still dont make sense it ONLY does it in DRIVE but not in 1-2 manual....

Status

High line pressure could be making the shifts early. When line pressure is higher than tv pressure it moves the shift valve to causing a up shift and when tv pressure is higher it should down shift. The computer uses the governor pressure solenoid to control the pressure. If the pressure is to high it will shift early

só line pressure would also prevent the truck from redlining in D but won’t affect it manual?
    say OD is off...i floor it in manual it shreds the tires,goes thru all the gears od off and then on fine
    i floor it D it just bogs to 3k and goes without a chirp...?
    what creates line pressure in the truck? if it’s a gov then why no codes? why is it doing it before and after the rebuild? it was replaced watched him work on it.

Status

Line pressure is controlled by the governor pressure solenoid which the pcm tells what to do depending on mph and tps percentage. The pcm uses the governor pressure sensor to watch line pressure. Manual is manual. Your shifting the truck. You won’t always get codes. You can get aftermarket heavy duty solenoids for raises line pressure. You could also get a shop that has a valve body dyno to check the valve body. A lot of the high end diesel shops have them. Suncoast would have one

i have a new valve body had to replace it with the trans go shift kit install...the guy basically replaced all my internals with 48re parts...sonnex this sonnex that...red band this...4 pin planetary is gone..but same problem before rebuild and after...sorry if i’m coming off idiotic or combative i’m not ...just super over this..if i don’t floor it in drive it will shift fine driving normally...just wish i could go under a working rt and compare...

if the tps goes 100% while in 1st(because it redlines) then it should still be working in D right?

Supporting Vendor

Status

Also if you go to my youtube page i have a video up about the TV cable.
    Can you supply a link to this vid?

Supporting Vendor

Status

High line pressure could be making the shifts early.
    Actually, high line pressure will make it shift later. Low line pressure will make it shift earlier.

Supporting Vendor

Status

Have you tried adjusting the TV cable at the throttle body? if it is adjusted toward the radiator it will make the shifts softer and sooner. More toward the firewall will make it shift harder and later. I had a customer who's truck did the same thing in drive and it was a slug. Adjusting the TV cable more toward the firewall made a huge difference. Not saying that is your problem, but I would sort out the tv cable situation and be sure it is correct.

Status

Any trans shop will be able to get the lines pressures. Then you will know for sure if thats the issue. Is the converter new?

Status

Quote Originally Posted by 98Dak408 View Post
    Actually, high line pressure will make it shift later. Low line pressure will make it shift earlier.
    Yes sir your right. That’s the governor solenoid flooding I’ve heard about. What if the sensor was reading wrong and the solenoid was letting more flow/pressure to the shift valve. Or maybe the wrong tv spring was used? Would that cause early shifts?

it’s a new stock tq converter.
    i messed with the tv cable again all the way to firewall and all the way to rad...just to see the extreme of the tv adjustment and honestly there’s not much of a difference going WOT.
    i’ll make new vids and post on my youtube channel this weekend.

https://youtu.be/TgVFiyg0Zm0
    here’s a vid of my tv cable from the good end of it... i think my issue is at the other end of the cable...

Status

I don’t understand what you’re saying in the video, but you have to pull the white clip off, and PULL the cable FROM the backside(towards firewall) reinstall the clip ! If it’s too harsh , pull the white Clíp again and PUSH the cable FROM the backside again forward(towards the radiator) and reinstall the white clip !

Quote Originally Posted by blackknight View Post
    I don’t understand what you’re saying in the video, but you have to pull the white clip off, and PULL the cable FROM the backside(towards firewall) reinstall the clip ! If it’s too harsh , pull the white Clíp again and PUSH the cable FROM the backside again forward(towards the radiator) and reinstall the white clip !
    I have done this many times now. Both directions JUST to see the difference. I does change how it shifts and such how it feels when its doing it but does not go above 3000rpms or no matter which way I adjust the tv cable.

Supporting Vendor

Status

I have a hard time understanding how you are doing your tests.

1. In Drive with OD on: what happens?
    2. In Drive with OD off: what happens?
    3. When you say you put it in first, how is it shifting to other gears? I assume you are manually shifting it?
    4. When it is in neutral, does it rev fine?
    5. When you are driving it, and it won’t go over 3000 rpm, does the vehicle feel like there is a big load on the engine?

Supporting Vendor

Status

When my governor solenoid and sensor was acting up at one point, and I tried taking off in drive, it was very sluggish getting it too move and wouldn’t rev. Apparently, it could be stuck between two gears, and was fighting itself trying to get going. Changing the governor solenoid and sensor resolved the problem in my case.

Supporting Vendor

Status

Yes sir your right. That’s the governor solenoid flooding I’ve heard about. What if the sensor was reading wrong and the solenoid was letting more flow/pressure to the shift valve. Or maybe the wrong tv spring was used? Would that cause early shifts?
    I’ve played with different TV springs, TV spring shims, and turning the adjusting screw in and out, aside from the TV adjustment at the throttle body. Lighter springs and settings will make it shift sooner and softer. If it is too soft you can damage the transmission. Heavier springs and/or turning up the line pressure, via the line pressure screw on the valve body, make it shift later and stronger.

However, the PCM will only allow so much higher line pressure before it freaks out and starts shifting erratically. The PCM keeps trying to get the transmission to shift like stock and foils your efforts over-and-over again. I talked to the tech guy at A&A Transmissions and he said they’ve been trying to get it to work for some time but again, the PCM learns, and tries to revert back to stock. They finally gave up on it. It’s been so long since I played with this, that I don’t clearly remember every detail, but attempts have been made by going to better governor solenoids, but I don’t think it’s a fool proof solution because of the PCM keeps trying to change things back to stock operation.

I did go through my transmission making a number of upgrades, and set the line pressure at 4 turns in, which is typically too much for the PCM to handle. I am curious to see if my mods will make a difference. I did install a plug on the side of the trans that will allow me to change the line pressure without dropping the pan.

1. In Drive with OD on: what happens? if i drive normally..nothing. shifts smoother than ever and faster...
    2. In Drive with OD off: what happens? same as before but wont go into OD...higher rpms at 55 mph kinda deal ...like it should be.
    3. When you say you put it in first, how is it shifting to other gears? best ever. can def tell there's no more 3rd gear bog

I assume you are manually shifting it? yes its the only to get it to 5200rpm and act like it should.

4. When it is in neutral, does it rev fine? yes
    5. When you are driving it, and it won’t go over 3000 rpm, does the vehicle feel like there is a big load on the engine? no i don't think so..

I can make a different video of something that you would want to see?
    and BTW what's the piece at the other end of the TV cable attached too called? the part attached to the tranny that moves with the cable? how is that supposed to function?

So at the other end of the TV cable is a the gear selector. How does the tv cable work with that? they are both (tv cable, gear selector) on one bracket attached to the tranny. How is it when i floor it, that the tv cable moves that bracket? im confused on the functions.

Supporting Vendor

Status

Although I can't find the link to the vid of the tv cable connection at the trans anymore (I thought you had posted it within the post above this one, I did see it, and it should move more at the trans. The linkage from there connects to the tv valve within the valve body. I would first disconnect the tv cable at the trans linkage, and see if the linkage going into the case then moves freely. If it does, then you may have the tv cable set too tight at the throttle body. Otherwise, the problem may be within the pan connecting to the valve body.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast