+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 1750$ to spend for perfomance.

Default 1750$ to spend for perfomance.

Hi. New here actually have 5.9 JGC 101.000 miles. It's stock with 52 mm tb. I was gonna buy V1 sc. But it just sold this morning. Been looking for decent perfomance mods. I've seen 360 magnum handle nitrous pretty well especially with good tune. I've read EQ Heads. Cam and a Intake is worth around 100 extra hp. But pricey. Any good mods you can give me? It's slowly being build for track 1/8 and might use at 1/4 mile. If i can run below 8.5 in the 1/8 mile i would be happy. 7's is my goal.

I've done maintance full tune up. Changed all oil. Got 8.8 from Ford to throw in back if D44 snaps. Trans was rebuilt 1 1/2 year ago. (Stock parts still....) stock torque converter.

CAUSEDODGEPATTERNBALDNESS

Status

Cam, heads, intake/TB, and a tune are still your best bet. If you don't have the money now, just keep saving and don't waste your time with TB spacers and the like lol.

Didn't know Jeep threw on a 52mm tb as stock unless you meant the rest of the engine is stock but it has a 52 mm tb that you or someone else put on.
    At any rate, unfortunately $1750 doesn't go very far. The largest weakness in these things are the cams. They are really anemic. I'd change that out first and if you've never done a cam and have to farm this out, there's your $1750. You're gonna need springs as well.
    If you are going to tackle the mechanicals, then I'd get the cam, intake and cold air intake and a tune-up.
    Good heads all by themselves are in the $2500-$3000 range.
    Nitrous (100 shot) with a stock engine may allow 14's in the quarter. You could easily approach $1750 with a safe nitrous system with bottle heater, window switch, in cabin timing control, purge and cabin activator. The rest of the engine won't have the credentials to get the most of a nitrous application.
    I think the smart thing you're doing is centering on an et. Cherokees are heavier than the R/T's thus making it that much harder to reach your goals.
    You could spend $5000 and "start" to be in th ball park. 7's in the 8th takes a lot of hp so now you'd have to be way over your allotted expenditure.

You'd need over 475 hp to do high 7's with your weight. That means cam, heads, intake, 4.56 rear end and after all that, a 150-200 shot of nitrous. Makes a huge difference if you could do all this yourself. Perhaps you'd be in the $6000-$7000 range if so.

Quote Originally Posted by nitroram33 View Post
    Cam, heads, intake/TB, and a tune are still your best bet. If you don't have the money now, just keep saving and don't waste your time with TB spacers and the like lol.

Nah i know spacers are waste. EQ heads go for 1450. Then cam -400/500. Intake similar. Gotta save More month!

Quote Originally Posted by arro222 View Post
    Didn't know Jeep threw on a 52mm tb as stock unless you meant the rest of the engine is stock but it has a 52 mm tb that you or someone else put on.
    At any rate, unfortunately $1750 doesn't go very far. The largest weakness in these things are the cams. They are really anemic. I'd change that out first and if you've never done a cam and have to farm this out, there's your $1750. You're gonna need springs as well.
    If you are going to tackle the mechanicals, then I'd get the cam, intake and cold air intake and a tune-up.
    Good heads all by themselves are in the $2500-$3000 range.
    Nitrous (100 shot) with a stock engine may allow 14's in the quarter. You could easily approach $1750 with a safe nitrous system with bottle heater, window switch, in cabin timing control, purge and cabin activator. The rest of the engine won't have the credentials to get the most of a nitrous application.
    I think the smart thing you're doing is centering on an et. Cherokees are heavier than the R/T's thus making it that much harder to reach your goals.
    You could spend $5000 and "start" to be in th ball park. 7's in the 8th takes a lot of hp so now you'd be n the 12-$15K range....or more.

You'd need over 475 hp to do high 7's with your weight.

I can do all by myself luckily, saving tons on labor.

EQ heads are 1499$. Cams. 400/500$ intake similar. So if i save one more month i can buy all this. Then next month a tune. I don't know how much R/T weight. But my final deive is 3.73 now.
    hemifever ran 13.4 with krc cam. Eddys head. 1.7 rr. And m1 intake. He dynoed 300 rwhp SAE.

This is a package worth probably 2500/3000 $ atleast.
    Mike casey was neck to neck with WK srt 8 from dig with 100 hp shot nitrous. Guy on fb called Steven ran low 8 with 125 hp shot no tune.

Don't fool yourself. There are heads and then there are "heads". Stock E/q's with no work will give only a bit more power. They duplicate the Magnum heads with a bit better flow.
    You are correct on your last assertion.
    There is a guy on the web (IMM Engines) who states that for $1650 or so, he'll send you a set of heads that flow 266 cfm. The guy is a joke. I fell for this ad and got snookered. Had to spend another $500 to get these heads "right". He didn't even blend in the seats amongst a few other slopped up other things he did.
    Don't believe these ads that say they'll give you a whiz-bang set of heads for $1700. Good heads cost money and not worth doing unless you get the "good" heads.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninerjeep View Post
    I can do all by myself luckily, saving tons on labor.

EQ heads are 1499$. Cams. 400/500$ intake similar. So if i save one more month i can buy all this. Then next month a tune. I don't know how much R/T weight. But my final deive is 3.73 now.
    hemifever ran 13.4 with krc cam. Eddys head. 1.7 rr. And m1 intake. He dynoed 300 rwhp SAE.

This is a package worth probably 2500/3000 $ atleast.
    Mike casey was neck to neck with WK srt 8 from dig with 100 hp shot nitrous. Guy on fb called Steven ran low 8 with 125 hp shot no tune.

R/T's weigh in at about 4150 for club cab. 3800-3900 lbs rc. JGC are what? 4500 lbs or so?

R/T's weigh in at about 4150 for club cab. 3800-3900 lbs rc. JGC are what? 4500 lbs or so?
    Haven't weighted mine :/ but somewhere around that yes. What are good "heads"?

https://www.performanceinjectionequi...cylinder-heads

These are the ones i was thinking off. I'll be saving 2 more months to net around 2500/3000$ and see what is available at that time.

Status

They're lighter than you think, a 98 5.9L GC should be in the 3750-3900 pound range depending on options etc. Remember, they're unibody and don't have a heavy steel frame to lug around so even with the extra axle and transfer case they're not that bad all things considered.

Status

Let me know if you go the nitrous route. I have a sexy system ill sell. It'll come with a plate so stepping up to a 4bbl intake would be ideal and you'll want to step the intake up anyways.
    Bump the compression up if you go with heads.

Haven't weighted mine :/ but somewhere around that yes. What are good "heads"?

https://www.performanceinjectionequi...cylinder-heads

These are the ones i was thinking off. I'll be saving 2 more months to net around 2500/3000$ and see what is available at that time.
    P.I.E it seems has a 50/50 reputation. Some guys love him and others...not so much. In his Stage II heads, he states all the right things to do to a head constituting a "good head". So did the guy at IMM Engines however. Perhaps someone will chime in who dealt with him and these heads.

Status

With PIE, it seems the closer you are the less likely to get hosed you are. Blew up a few with remote tunes. Don't let Hemifever tune it either unless you like it so rich raw fuel dumps out of the exhaust...

They're lighter than you think, a 98 5.9L GC should be in the 3750-3900 pound range depending on options etc. Remember, they're unibody and don't have a heavy steel frame to lug around so even with the extra axle and transfer case they're not that bad all things considered.
    If that's the case then you are correct. They are lighter than i thunk. Surprising with the 4wd and all. They can go like a Dakota rc it seems if that the case.

P.I.E it seems has a 50/50 reputation. Some guys love him and others...not so much. In his Stage II heads, he states all the right things to do to a head constituting a "good head". So did the guy at IMM Engines however. Perhaps someone will chime in who dealt with him and these heads.
    I see Marty Fletcher recommends PIE. Didn't find much on IMM. So i won't go with IMM atleast��

With PIE, it seems the closer you are the less likely to get hosed you are. Blew up a few with remote tunes. Don't let Hemifever tune it either unless you like it so rich raw fuel dumps out of the exhaust...
    So since i'm in Iceland i'm more likely to get hosed? (Bad setup from him?) would let Flyin Ryan tune ��

Quote Originally Posted by niebs View Post
    Let me know if you go the nitrous route. I have a sexy system ill sell. It'll come with a plate so stepping up to a 4bbl intake would be ideal and you'll want to step the intake up anyways.
    Bump the compression up if you go with heads.
    Drop me a picture in message on the nitrous �� I've been looking for 2bbl or 4bbl for some time but i got 52 mm that is for stock kegger. 4bbl with 52 mm tb from Rolf Sheffey and plate nitrous. Sounds like tons of fun!!

Status

I see Marty Fletcher recommends PIE. Didn't find much on IMM. So i won't go with IMM atleast��
    Marty is a worse than all of them lol, he just waited long enough for all the people who got burned to sell their stuff to people that had never heard of him.

Status

So since i'm in Iceland i'm more likely to get hosed? (Bad setup from him?) would let Flyin Ryan tune ��
    Ryan is your best bet for tuning JTEC, if you happen to go standalone at some point in the future then you open up lots more options. Just not that many people who bother to learn the oddities of the platform given the small market/support as compared the LSx platform or other more modern applications.

Supporting Vendor

Status

Welcome to the forum!

+ Reply to Thread