+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How to install a cam.

Status

Default How to install a cam.

Hello I think I’m ready to install a cam after all these years. I can’t find any videos on line and I can’t seem to find any treads on it.

I already have most of the supporting mods for it so I’m just looking for a cam that works with my mods.
    I’m a full bolt on truck including Harland sharp 1.7RR non adjustable and I went with springs to I just don’t remember the specs on them. I do know they where better then the stock ones.

I plan on install my self. What will I be running into to get this done!
    I want to try to stay away from removing heads!

Any updates? I have 1.7RR but i have some eq heads that have been worked on ready to go also...

Just some generalities. First, where would you like for your power band to be at? There are cams that work off idle to around 5200 rpm so you need to decide where you want yours. Any cam is going to wake up your truck a bit.
    2ndly. If you are going to keep your rockers, you need to know where the specs from your cam are measured. A ratio of 1.5 for the cam will alter your duration and lift with the use of 1.7's.
    With non -adjustable rockers, you'll need to get the precise height of your push-rods measured so you'll need a push rod tool. I'm not a fan of trying to get the valve train geometry correct simply because you have adjustable rockers but they are often used that way as they do provide some leeway. It is always better to measure push rod length.

As far as "what will I be running into". That is a very loaded question. Take pictures of how your linkage is hooked up before you remove the intake. Everything in front of the engine needs to come off. Try and label everything or designate paper cups as to where they came out was far as removed bolts are concerned.

Be aware of piston to valve clearance. Don't know how large a cam you'll want as far as lift. Anything below .500 you should be safe but every engine is different. Always good to mock up a cylinder and with modeling clay, check clearances.

Degreeing a cam is all over the internet as far as how to so you'll want a degree wheel.

There is a sticky on the site for cam install but it does't get into too much detail..

I do not think I would attempt a cam install w/o new heads. Many of the originals were cracked on the Magnum 360's. Mine weren't but they only had 36K on them when I took them off.

+ Reply to Thread