+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Drag radials or bias ply..?

Status

Default Drag radials or bias ply..?

Just have some bolt ons heads cam tune maybe 350 to 375 horsepower . I'm running drag radials right now but need new tires would I get better et's with bias ply..?

Status

What are your times now? How much suspension tuning do you have available. Radials would be faster but needs work to get the 60' there. Bias is a lot more forgiving for track surface.

Status

My best time so far is a 13.4@102 mph. with a 1.8 60ft. Stock coils and leafs with caltracs. Not really concerned with my mph. just want a faster ET.

Status

Are you trying to stay street legal ? As in DOT tires? bias tire don't turn corners very well but softer side wall help the initial hit allowing you to launch at higher RPM on a straight line pass. Trans brake and 2 step with good torque converter , rear-end gears will help 60 times. I believe they are all street legal still lol At the track slicks work the best and you can launch at even higher rpm but their not DOT and a dead give away for the cops in my hood ( its really hard to out run the police on drag slicks with 5 psi in them just sayin) my guess is your foot braking up against the stock converter and gears not letting you reach max torque and hp numbers before 60 ft if you give these smart members enough info they could tell you pretty close what gear and stall you need to reach your torque numbers sooner. side note dont forget weight lighter trucks seem to out 60 ft heavier trucks
    Last edited by Wideopen; 01-05-2020 at 04:49 AM. Reason: add on

Status

I remember "Adobedude" Dave trying Bias ply tires a few years ago. He didn't/R/T didn't like them, I don't recall why exactly, tho. Maybe, he will see this and chime in.
    99 DA CC R/T
    13.97@100 w/modded kegger & ported TB
    12.96 @103
    10:8-1 .30 over forged bottom end
    R/T ported heads
    Detroit locker 4:56 gears
    Built 46RE MSaine 3500 stall Ultra Billet
    http://imgur.com/a/lOVuZ

Status

Also remember that you 'should' match your fronts and rears. Some vehicles/set ups can become a handful with mixed tires. So bias front and rear.
    Maybe you can borrow a buddies to try out before purchasing?

Status

Yes it's going to stay street legal it's my daily I swap tires and wheels out for the track only. Keeping my rear stock gears because I drive on the highway a lot. I also have a 2800 stall I just want to know if there's any advantages or disadvantages to bias-ply as I have been running Hoosier radial slicks. Truck weighs in at 3570 lb.

Status

I don't like bias ply either but i did run 30x 17 x15 on the street didn't last 1000 miles and cornered like crap with a spool and 430 gears

Accumulating parts...

Status

Bias will hook and book a little better, but radials with the stiff sidewall will give you a better mph on the top end. If you can tune your suspension to hook with radials, you’ll get a better ET with them.
    12.10@106@Famoso Raceway

Status

That's pretty much the answer I was looking for . Thanks Gofast, my radios hook just fine no spin or anything so I guess radials it is..

Status

If youre hooking with radials fine then yes, stay with them. You'll run the best et and mph with them if they are working correctly.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by 99dart View Post
    I remember "Adobedude" Dave trying Bias ply tires a few years ago. He didn't/R/T didn't like them, I don't recall why exactly, tho. Maybe, he will see this and chime in.
    I always run Bias Ply slicks, what I HATED were the stiff walls.
    11.27 @ 118.23
    2017 NM Mopar Challenge Series Champion

+ Reply to Thread