+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: rear gear set

Default rear gear set

I'm getting more and more convinced that these heavy sleds of ours need at least a 4:30 gear set for more successful jaunts down the quarter.
    I was pondering two things: 1. Does anyone know of who may make a gear set of around 4.33's? 2. To those that have them, what do these mild engine builds trap through at with 4.56's?

Status

4.30 not available for a 9.25, from stock 3.92 it's 4.10 - 4.56 - 4.88
    11.27 @ 118.23
    2017 NM Mopar Challenge Series Champion

Accumulating parts...

Status

4.30’s are out there, but unicorns, under 10 sets made. 4.56’s are a little high, I want to drop to 4.10’s for the track. Love 4.46’s for street driving though.
    Last edited by GoFastGray; 01-03-2020 at 07:24 PM.
    12.10@106@Famoso Raceway

Quote Originally Posted by GoFastGray View Post
    4.30’s are out there, but unicorns, under 10 sets made. 4.56’s are a little high, I want to drop to 4.-0’s for the track. Love 4.46’s for street driving though.
    I guess i'd rather gear high for the street (old Mustang had 4.33's for the street and loved those) and get a taller slick for the track.
    Was curious at what rpm through the traps the mild engine builds were dong. If over 6K, then I'd want the taller slick as my present cam and certainly torque curve is all in by then. I think it prudent to ask the experienced here on the matter.

Status

Really depends on a lot. still running the 46re trans? Whats the power and power range of the motor? Tire size, converter, What gear do you want to cross in? 4.56 is probably the most common. but may be a little steep for highway driving.
    I like my 3.92s with an auto locker. Good overall gear I think. Have not had it on the track yet though.

You are exactly right neibs. It is why I qualified my question with "those that have mild engine builds". Certainly trucks like slammed, Adobe, krst's, etc, aren't going thru the traps with rpm's as those of us with cams, intake and exhaust. I'm thinking this is what the majority of members have.
    Rear end requirements change dependent on extent of builds. .. Et's are very dependent on how fast you can leave as opposed to how fast you can go (at this level)
    but you are still correct: I should have stipulated the 46re as another typical standard.
    4.56's main reason for me is that my sled weighs 4300 lbs with me in it. That is all well and good for the "need" out of the hole but I didn't want to wind an engine with just top work where it needed to be screaming at the end as I do not know what the stock bottom can comfortably wind to.
    Last edited by arro222; 12-31-2019 at 12:57 AM.

I trap at 6,000-6,100 with 4.56s, OD off of course. Running all forged internals with good aftermarket dual springs and hydraulic cam / lifters. I know guys on here running solids are spinning theirs a lot higher than that.
    408, HiPoTek, FRP Tuning, Martin Saine 46re
    12.33 @ 110
    2018 Renegade Raceway Summit Series Sportsman Champion

Quote Originally Posted by mikset View Post
    I trap at 6,000-6,100 with 4.56s, OD off of course. Running all forged internals with good aftermarket dual springs and hydraulic cam / lifters. I know guys on here running solids are spinning theirs a lot higher than that.
    Thanks mik. Thinking stock bottom can do this kind of rpm no? Prolly at or near its limitations however. My springs are rated to .620 so not too concerned about the top as my cam lift is .521 but seems to still keep pulling beyond 5800 rpms. How tall are your rear tires?

Rears are 28", 3200 stall.
    408, HiPoTek, FRP Tuning, Martin Saine 46re
    12.33 @ 110
    2018 Renegade Raceway Summit Series Sportsman Champion

Status

WARNING: LONG POST If I remember correctly, IIRC. Danno spun his stock bottom end, heads, cam, nitrous engine to 6800. And, this was well before SCT tuning came along for better tuning. His only problem was keeping head gaskets in it. I ran my stock bottom end to 6- 6200 all the time. But, made the mistake of putting stock valves in my ported r/t heads. Head broke off #5 intake valve = Boom. Arro, your low mileage engine will be fine at 6k. As for gears, I balked at 4:56's forever. The closest track to me is 125 miles and I drive mine there. Back when the local club was booming, I was always driving from Central WA to Seattle, Bremerton area for events. So, I didn't want to kill any fuel economy I was already short on. I now have 4.56's and they are perfect at the track with 28" tires. 26" tires...not so much. I cross the line right around 62- 6300, OD off. I hope I am remembering my numbers correctly, it's been several years since doing all this stuff.
    99 DA CC R/T
    13.97@100 w/modded kegger & ported TB
    12.96 @103
    10:8-1 .30 over forged bottom end
    R/T ported heads
    Detroit locker 4:56 gears
    Built 46RE MSaine 3500 stall Ultra Billet
    http://imgur.com/a/lOVuZ

"Bleach Master"

Status

If a Reg cab stay 3.92 gears, just need a real engine is all.
    This signature has been deleted thanks to photobucket!

Quote Originally Posted by 99dart View Post
    WARNING: LONG POST If I remember correctly, IIRC. Danno spun his stock bottom end, heads, cam, nitrous engine to 6800. And, this was well before SCT tuning came along for better tuning. His only problem was keeping head gaskets in it. I ran my stock bottom end to 6- 6200 all the time. But, made the mistake of putting stock valves in my ported r/t heads. Head broke off #5 intake valve = Boom. Arro, your low mileage engine will be fine at 6k. As for gears, I balked at 4:56's forever. The closest track to me is 125 miles and I drive mine there. Back when the local club was booming, I was always driving from Central WA to Seattle, Bremerton area for events. So, I didn't want to kill any fuel economy I was already short on. I now have 4.56's and they are perfect at the track with 28" tires. 26" tires...not so much. I cross the line right around 62- 6300, OD off. I hope I am remembering my numbers correctly, it's been several years since doing all this stuff.
    You bring up a good point 99. I also will be driving to the track and it is over a hundred miles as well. I guess my best bet is to change out to a 26" tire when I'm there. Lets see: 28/26 = 1.0769230769 x 3.92= 4.22's. That'l have to do.
    BTW, I'm a "detail" guy so your post was still "short". Thanks for the info.
    Last edited by arro222; 12-31-2019 at 07:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by slammedR/T View Post
    If a Reg cab stay 3.92 gears, just need a real engine is all.

You're not wrong. This fat cc will have to stay where it is however with the highest expectation being boost down the line. My Jones is a stroked 400 to 512 with some $3000 heads and a .250 cam and all the rest. Now that would be a "real engine" to me for this boat. 600 hp would be pleasant enuf for me.
    Last edited by arro222; 12-31-2019 at 07:32 PM.

Status

Ill be listing my 8.25" with disk brakes, 3.92s and auto locker soon.

Accumulating parts...

Status

Quote Originally Posted by arro222 View Post
    I guess i'd rather gear high for the street (old Mustang had 4.33's for the street and loved those) and get a taller slick for the track.
    Was curious at what rpm through the traps the mild engine builds were dong. If over 6K, then I'd want the taller slick as my present cam and certainly torque curve is all in by then. I think it prudent to ask the experienced here on the matter.
    More than my stock cam and heads could handle with boost. Around 6200-6500. Even when I was N/A I was up there in RPM. Closer to 6000-6200 then.

N/A 2800 stall converter
    Boost 3600 stall

28” tires N/A but need 30” with current set-up.
    12.10@106@Famoso Raceway

Status

Quote Originally Posted by arro222 View Post
    You bring up a good point 99. I also will be driving to the track and it is over a hundred miles as well. I guess my best bet is to change out to a 26" tire when I'm there. Lets see: 28/26 = 1.0769230769 x 3.92= 4.22's. That'l have to do.
    BTW, I'm a "detail" guy so your post was still "short". Thanks for the info.
    Here's another old achievement from back in the day. A lot of the guys were setting goals to meet as parts became available. I was trying to get into the 13's with minimal mods. Danno loaned me his 26" ET Streets and that finally got me there. The combo that I was running was: PPH headers w/2 1/2" true duals and H-pipe, hand ported stock TB, Kammer & Kammer modified kegger, 4" aluminum dryer vent attached to the K&N air tube(no filter) underdrive pulleys(did next to nothing) relocated IAT sensor, Oh and "Jet" module piggybacked on a Mopar Perf pcm. We would also do some trackside lightening, spare tire, jack, carpet mats, tonneau cover, and the Ol' Lady's purse. The time in my signature is what I ran at Bremerton Raceway. Always had great air!
    99 DA CC R/T
    12.96 @103
    R/T ported heads

freakin screaming

Status

I run a 3.21 lmao
    9.6@143 PBIR raceway

Status

Quote Originally Posted by merctech View Post
    I run a 3.21 lmao
    Turbod?

freakin screaming

Status

Yup ebay one
    9.6@143 PBIR raceway

Status

Quote Originally Posted by merctech View Post
    Yup ebay one
    Thatll explain it!

Go Fast and 99, this was helpful. Wish Danno the best and seemed to be a mainstay here back in the day. Dipping into the 12's with a cc and remaining "streetable" is something for such "fat" trucks.

Status

Danno was running 11.59 @ 118 or 119 IIRC.
    99 DA CC R/T
    12.96 @103
    R/T ported heads

Accumulating parts...

Status

What are your goals with power? 408, nitrous, blower, keep it 360?
    12.10@106@Famoso Raceway

Quote Originally Posted by GoFastGray View Post
    What are your goals with power? 408, nitrous, blower, keep it 360?
    Kept to 360. Doesn't seem feasible to go 12 seconds w/o boost at this ci and mild build

Quote Originally Posted by 99dart View Post
    Danno was running 11.59 @ 118 or 119 IIRC.

With a cc yet. Was this w boost of some sort? Also, if memory serves, didn't he break 13's with stock heads and cam? How the hell did that happen?

My very first question here 3 years ago when i first joined should have been "how do I get a cc to 11.8 in the quarter with just top end work".

I may have had a shot getting to 13's na if I picked stronger parts. Cam is only 216-226@521 lift. Heads are mildly worked EQ's cut .030 w 2.02 valve set and intake is Air gap. Knowing what I know now about these, I should have went with 230-236 cam and cnc ported Edlebrocks with higher compression. Was afraid of taking the "street" out of the truck but I've lost absolutely nothing with the parts I have and that includes with a 3" Spintec exhaust kit. Hindsight is 20-20.

You know this game. Nothing was going to be good enough no matter what I did. If I got 13's, I'd want 12's then 11's then...(I'd be content with 11's). What I do know at this point is that I'm gonna need boost to get lower.
    Last edited by arro222; 01-09-2020 at 02:26 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast