+ Reply to Thread

Thread: times and builds

Default times and builds

Realizing there are a myriad of folks here that started their trucks running 15's and then 14's all the way to 9's, Also realizing that many of you guys are old timers here and go back 15 or more years so you may be tired of this kind of stuff or don't remember even, is there anywhere on this site that begins to detail builds as to how they got where they got dependent on heads, intake, cam specs, rear gears, pistons, boost specs, suspension, etc.?

Probably most who visit here might not want to build ultimate drag machines but many who might be interested in street/strip builds with trucks running 11's-12 type vehicles.

In the last 3 years I've been a member, I've looked all over this site. I've found "smatterings" and reading between the lines, but nothing definitive so either I'm missing something or such does not exist?

Status

I know i'm just a noob here but i got all my stock block bolt on info from this forum and had them in the garage before i even picked up the truck and they all woke up my tired old 160000 mile engine. I'm sure i'll be corrected by these old guys but the number you are seeking can be done with a fresh engine and bolt on stuff with a good tune on stock computer My stock junker will just trash a set of tires on the street and i really don't think i'm anywhere near 400 hp so plan on some suspension work like caltraks and big tires maybe lighten front end up as much as you can. The reason your finding smatterings is most don't test after putting on every part and even if you had every part no. that they have there's to many variables to run exactly the same numbers just run what you can afford and have fun driving it and enjoy creepin up on that time slip your lookin for

Status

Throttle body, Intake, Exhaust, Heads and Cam with a tune should put you in the ball park of where you want to be. Sorry was out of it for so long I'll let more recent experienced people give specifics. As @Wideopen mentions, Stock these trucks have no problem spinning the tires. Adding more power compounds the issues. Sticker rubber and cal-tracs help.
    Mike Williams

98 DA RC GrapeJuice
    99 BLK CC (Buy Back)
    00 BLK RC ProCharged -Hotchkis - on and on (Sold)
    01 AF CC (Leased - Turned in)

Well, my truck had 36,000 on it when I bought it so everything was kinda still fresh with it.
    The devil is in the details. I just did EQ heads at 58 cc, light weight one piece 2.02 valves, intake, cam, rockers, springs, Fel Pro 1008's. Truck came with under drives, Spintecs, 52 mm tb, MSD Ignition and in my mind, the 4120 lb truck is still piggish. Maybe a low to mid 14 second machine from what was prolly a high 14, low 15 truck. Granted, after the work the truck started right up and is more snappier able to pull to 6K a opposed to running out of steam at just over 4K. It can break loose at a 30 mph roll but I think that has more to do with the Good Years presently on there as opposed to real power.

Variations are key here. I found it very interesting that a once former member here with an rc, went 11.01 and may have gone 10.95 on a stock bottom. This was with 12 lbs of boost. This truck was mid 12 seconds na all day long. All he had to work with were heads, cam and intake. Now with just an na comparison, Even if you add the 300-400 lbs a cc weighs over an rc, he did cam, heads and intake as I did. His cam is almost the same spec as mine and that should have placed me low 13's. Not the case. So what exactly are the differences with heads, cam and intake?

Granted, I did not get to run my truck this summer but I would be rather shocked if it broke into the 13's even with 26" x10" slicks and some suspension work. In my mind, et's are made out of the hole. I do suppose 4.56's come into play here.
    The hole shot is preeminent. It may be the factor between a truck running 12's or 11's. I dunno. Not much documentation here beyond "cam, heads and intake".

Perhaps I'm asking too much but coming from an 11.2 428 Mustang that started at 13.75 (the thing went 12.2 with just a cam change, headers and richened carb) this truck seems like it should be faster for the work done.
    Beyond boost, where exactly, do the differences reside from truck to truck with basically the same work? .....Driver? Cu ins.? Head configuration? What else?
    Last edited by arro222; 12-10-2019 at 06:22 PM.

Status

You did not mention if you had a tune that can make quite a difference I have basically the same build you just described minus MSD and underdrive pulleys I do have a regular cab with a 2800 stall CCW Wheels with drag radials and caltracs I just ran a 13.4 with a 1.8 a 60-foot I have one more tune coming from Ryan and I will be deleting my front sway bar and my clutch fan before I go back to the track again I'm hoping to shave off another tenth or two

No tune. But the truck is around the 12 mark AFR wise when decked. 14.2 AFR around town. Except for a 2-3 shift bog which is being caused by an early (4800-5200) shift, the truck seems strong considering no tune.

I am an absolute knuckle head electronics wise and have bought an SCT from Ryan 2 years ago. Never did much with it. Don't even have an IBM type lap top or pad to coordinate this email tune stuff.
    Can't see how this would make the truck any faster with the AFR seemingly correct.
    Accordingly, considering your times, I should be able to break the 14 second barrier. Either I've been away from it too long and don't know differences by seat of the pants, but it just doesn't seem like a 13 second truck.
    I also have the 2800 stall, original rears, heads purportedly flowing at 266 cfm (wouldn't trust IMM Engines with this alleged figure of theirs as far as I can throw an engine block) a cam in the .218-.226 range @ .50 w 112 lsa.
    Compression is key with these things and mine is only at 9.5 static.
    BTW, you are approximately 6-7 tenths off the truck I described above. He was running mid 12's all day long na. His truck weighed in at 3800lbs. A cam almost identical to mine. All I know is he had extensive head work done and mill cut to .40.
    Other than that, your truck and his are almost identical na. I am intrigued as to what may have been the difference.
    Unless there is some secret thingy to the heads on the 360, I'm not thinking his heads were making up 6-7 tenths. Oh, he was running a 727. There's 3-5 tenths right there. Put one of them in and you're probably doing 12's.
    Last edited by arro222; 12-11-2019 at 08:04 PM.

Status

Yeah your AFR ratios sounds good I needed a couple Tunes to get there this tuning stuff is all new to me as well I'm not sure but I think Ryan plays with a few other things besides AFR I'm sure I wood do a little better with a 727 but I'm going to stick with my stock transmission for now if I ran lower gears I probably wood drop time a little too this is my daily driver so I can't go too crazy. I drive it an hour to the track run it a few times and drive it home

Quote Originally Posted by arro222 View Post
    No tune. But the truck is around the 12 mark AFR wise when decked. 14.2 AFR around town. Except for a 2-3 shift bog which is being caused by an early (4800-5200) shift, the truck seems strong considering no tune.

I am an absolute knuckle head electronics wise and have bought an SCT from Ryan 2 years ago. Never did much with it. Don't even have an IBM type lap top or pad to coordinate this email tune stuff.
    Can't see how this would make the truck any faster with the AFR seemingly correct.
    Accordingly, considering your times, I should be able to break the 14 second barrier. Either I've been away from it too long and don't know differences by seat of the pants, but it just doesn't seem like a 13 second truck.
    I also have the 2800 stall, original rears, heads purportedly flowing at 266 cfm (wouldn't trust IMM Engines with this alleged figure of theirs as far as I can throw an engine block) a cam in the .218-.226 range @ .50 w 112 lsa.
    Compression is key with these things and mine is only at 9.5 static.
    BTW, you are approximately 6-7 tenths off the truck I described above. He was running mid 12's all day long na. His truck weighed in at 3800lbs. A cam almost identical to mine. All I know is he had extensive head work done and mill cut to .40.
    Other than that, your truck and his are almost identical na. I am intrigued as to what may have been the difference.
    Unless there is some secret thingy to the heads on the 360, I'm not thinking his heads were making up 6-7 tenths. Oh, he was running a 727. There's 3-5 tenths right there. Put one of them in and you're probably doing 12's.
    With out a tune, all those mods were for nothing.

Ignition timing can have a much bigger effect on performance than the AFR.
    1941 Dodge 1/2 ton, 493 twin turbo, EFI, 727, 4 wheel disc brakes, custom triangulated 4 link, DANA 60, Gleason Torsen diff,

2002 Dakota R/T RC, PX8, PPH Headers, K&N FIPK, Hotchkis TVS, 20" R/T chrome rims, BFG G-Force T/A KDW 275/35 ZR20 tires, Kenwood head unit, Kenwood speakers, RF amp, 8" RF Punch Z subs

1998 Dakota RC daily driver 5.9L, AX-15 5 speed, Hooker long tube headers, FRP tune

Status

Afr is one thing but there is a lot of power in timing. Bump up compression and go on a diet. It takes a whole combination to run a number. Get it tuned and im sure youll find power.

Tune huh. Knowing shit from shinola about this crap, all I can do is take you guys words for it. I gotta get an IBM type lap top. I guess they're called Microsoft now.

Status

I know how you feel about this tuning stuff I'm old school as well I know carburetors . I found a garage / engine-building shop in my town that has a 19 year old kid in the front office who is taking tuning classes but knows nothing about data-logging but he still figured it all out pretty quickly and used his computer to do the data logging with Ryan . Once we did the data logging we sent that information to Ryan who sends you back a tune . You download it into your SCT and load it into your truck it really wakes the motor up you will notice a big difference

CAUSEDODGEPATTERNBALDNESS

Status

Quote Originally Posted by niebs View Post
    Afr is one thing but there is a lot of power in timing. Bump up compression and go on a diet. It takes a whole combination to run a number. Get it tuned and im sure youll find power.

Quote Originally Posted by Red tide View Post
    You did not mention if you had a tune that can make quite a difference I have basically the same build you just described minus MSD and underdrive pulleys I do have a regular cab with a 2800 stall CCW Wheels with drag radials and caltracs I just ran a 13.4 with a 1.8 a 60-foot I have one more tune coming from Ryan and I will be deleting my front sway bar and my clutch fan before I go back to the track again I'm hoping to shave off another tenth or two
    Red, what are your head specs?

Status

Tune huh. Knowing shit from shinola about this crap, all I can do is take you guys words for it. I gotta get an IBM type lap top. I guess they're called Microsoft now.
    You don't need a laptop to download a tune from an email. Ryan or Marty Fletcher can do a "canned" generic based on your modifications tune. Plug the hand held into your desktop download to the handheld, then go out to the truck and plug into the OBDII, follow the prompting from the screen. https://derivesystems.helpjuice.com/49353-sct
    99 DA CC R/T
    13.97@100 w/modded kegger & ported TB
    12.96 @103
    10:8-1 .30 over forged bottom end
    R/T ported heads
    Detroit locker 4:56 gears
    Built 46RE MSaine 3500 stall Ultra Billet
    http://imgur.com/a/lOVuZ

Ryan told me to download to a specific data log site so I'm thinking the lap top must be in the truck to data log no? The "canned" tune is what I got from him when I originally bought the SCT after telling him what the build was. It was so far off the truck hardly ran. When I told him this he said it was never right the first time and is why we data log.

What I really need is to go to somebodies house that knows how to do this shit. It seems you're too far away but thanks for the tip.

Status

Yes you do need to have the laptop in your vehicle for data logging . I have Edelbrock heads Big valve ported by Richard at Hi-potek.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Red tide View Post
    Yes you do need to have the laptop in your vehicle for data logging . I have Edelbrock heads Big valve ported by Richard at Hi-potek.
    Actually, no, you don't. You can use an "Innovate LM2" (I have one) You log to a sim card, then send files to Ryan. I suck at it, but have managed to download numerous tunes.
    https://www.innovatemotorsports.com/products/lm2.php
    https://www.amazon.com/Innovate-Moto...6983251&sr=8-2
    Last edited by 99dart; 12-22-2019 at 02:03 AM.
    99 DA CC R/T
    12.96 @103
    R/T ported heads

Status

Ryan told me to download to a specific data log site so I'm thinking the lap top must be in the truck to data log no? The "canned" tune is what I got from him when I originally bought the SCT after telling him what the build was. It was so far off the truck hardly ran. When I told him this he said it was never right the first time and is why we data log.

What I really need is to go to somebodies house that knows how to do this shit. It seems you're too far away but thanks for the tip.
    I didn't know you already had a canned tune. So, it sounds like you DO need data logging. I am still working with him after several tunes. For some reason I am getting weird readings when logging.
    99 DA CC R/T
    12.96 @103
    R/T ported heads

+ Reply to Thread