+ Reply to Thread

Thread: My computer is from a 99 Ram 1500 5.2, am I losing performance?

Status

Default My computer is from a 99 Ram 1500 5.2, am I losing performance?

So I was looking at some posts online about R/T ECM's so I was curious and I went out and checked mine since I know the transmission is a 46RE that was pulled from a 2001 Ram Van. The engine is definitely a 360, was hoping no one put in a 318. I checked all the numbers, it's a 360. Don't know if it's the original. But the computer must be from something else too. It has a part number 56040111AA which I came up with a 5.2 1999 Dodge Ram 4wd pickup. That kinda makes some sense because at one point I had a 4WD light on the instrument cluster that was always on. I took it out the bulb since it didn't seem to affect anything. The truck runs great and everything seems to work. I just passed the state emission inspection. It has so far for the past 4 years since I've had it. I was just wondering whoever put the ECM in before me would the truck function normally without any issues or would they have to have had it reprogrammed by the VIN to work with the different engine and transmission. According to Chrysler I should have a 56040145 ECM. I don't need to change it, there's no issues that I know of since it's running fine, everything is working correctly. Just wondering if it's still setup to run as a Ram 1500 5.2 would I be losing any performance or is that even possible? Should I get ahold of the correct computer or does it matter?

CAUSEDODGEPATTERNBALDNESS

Status

The 5.2 supposedly actually has slightly more timing than the 5.9 PCMs, so in theory it could actually be better. The biggest difference is in the O2 sensor and cat layouts. R/Ts are all over the place depending on year as to how many they have versus the lower level trucks. A '98 4x4 5.2 Dakota, for example, has two O2 sensors, in pre and one post cat. The '98 R/T has 4 sensors, but only the one cat. Later trucks can have 4 sensors and 3 cats if they've got California emissions. In theory, a '99 Federal Emissions 5.2L PCM in a '99 Dakota R/T should be fine as it wouldn't care about the two extra sensors, but you couldn't do it the other way around since the R/T PCM would be missing the two O2 inputs.

Status

It had that part number for the 99 Dodge 1500 and at the bottom there was another factory label that said authorized software update as well as another part number, the correct for a 99 Dakota R/T. So what does that mean? Was the computer likely changed by Chrysler and updated with the proper program?

CAUSEDODGEPATTERNBALDNESS

Status

The had a death flash update to stop them from pinging.

+ Reply to Thread