+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Through body exhaust

Default Through body exhaust

Hey everyone,

I was thinking of remanufacturing my exhaust from the muffler to the tips. I've been through a few different designs over the years. All of which had there drawbacks.

Long story short, I was thinking about installing these exhaust tips that pass through the body of the truck. I thought this would look pretty awesome if the exhaust was located in the back rear quarter panel at the bottom, behind the rear tire somewhere.

Now, I've added a link to the tips I was looking at. I've come to the conclusion the bezel/mounting plate is too big. It's 11 3/8" X 5 3/8" oval. I contacted the manufacture. I asked if they'd be interested in making the same design but smaller. I checked the truck and came to the conclusion, 8 1/2" X 4 1/2" would look good and give it nice proportions. They gave me a price quote of ~$1,000 for two of them. They informed me that the price was going mostly to design time for re-designing everything to a smaller dimensions. Tips would be most likely 1 1/4 (two tips per exhaust) with a 2.5" inlet.

I'm thinking of getting two of them without the bezel being polished so I can powder coat them to match the rims, or just do a matte black look (tips would be polished though). Looks like the original design has a polished bezel.

Is anyone else interested in this? If a few other people would like them, maybe I'll up the order number, get the price to an affordable rate and give the forum members some additional options. What are your thoughts.

Exhaust tips

Status

I don't think so, Tim. A grand would be better spent elsewhere for me.
    99 DA CC R/T
    13.97@100 w/modded kegger & ported TB
    12.96 @103
    10:8-1 .30 over forged bottom end
    R/T ported heads
    Detroit locker 4:56 gears
    Built 46RE MSaine 3500 stall Ultra Billet
    http://imgur.com/a/lOVuZ

Quote Originally Posted by 99dart View Post
    I don't think so, Tim. A grand would be better spent elsewhere for me.
    Sorry bud, I didn't explain myself well enough. Assuming the price came down, who would be interested in purchasing one. Say 2 of them were 1K but 10 of them ~$300ish, would you be interested?

Sorry I didn't explain that well.

Say 10 people said, "yeah I'm interested". Tomorrow I'll call them and let them know I want 10 and what would they charge for 10. I know their not going to ask for $500 a piece for 10. The price will come down. Just wondering who would be interested and/or serious about the idea.

For all I know, everyone may say, "that would look ugly, and no I'm not interested".
    Last edited by ChrisDockman; 09-12-2019 at 01:45 AM.

Status

Google "thru hull exhaust tips"

Quote Originally Posted by niebs View Post
    Google "thru hull exhaust tips"
    That's one of the searches I made to find this tip. It's the best looking through hole tip I found on the internet. I spent a few days searching. Thanks for the recommendation.

Status

I though about doing the same thing but in front of the rear tires. Corsa Marine makes them.

Google "corsa marine side exit exhaust tips"

Home School Valedictorian

Status

I thought at one time, I would do something like SIDE_OUTLET_zps7f156ae3.jpg in front of the rear tire. If I do it now, it would be behind the rear tire.

"Excuse me if I have some place in my mind, where I go time to time"

Status

Some guys have done the same on the srt 10 rams

I think in front of the back tire would be cool as well.

Okay,,,,, well this is an okay response. Nobody shot it down immediately. So that's a good sign.

Let me ask you this question, what would the tips be worth to you if you were interested in purchasing one?

The current price on Summit is $213.75. Being smaller you'd think they would be cheaper but they need designed. So you'd get a one off custom. That's a selling point.

From the response I'm getting, I don't think 10 people would be interested. I don't want to call these guys and jerk them around unless I'm serious about the purchase.

Status

Im out on buying them.

I will ask what exactly do you want? Might be able to get them made for cheaper.

Home School Valedictorian

Status

My comments are in no way suggesting I would be interested in buying one. If, I was to do a through body exhaust, it would be a 3" stainless pipe exiting in the way it is done on sports (racing) cars.

"Excuse me if I have some place in my mind, where I go time to time"

Quote Originally Posted by niebs View Post
    Im out on buying them.

I will ask what exactly do you want? Might be able to get them made for cheaper.
    I'm interested in the same design as the link posted except 8.5"X4.5" oval flange. Whichever pipes fight inside that specific flange. I think 2, 1.5" tips would fit with a 2.5" inlet port.

It's not too simple of a design if you look at it because you need a specific amount of clearance between the tips and the house. If the gap between the tips and the housing is too small, the housing will overheat the paint.

+ Reply to Thread