+ Reply to Thread

Thread: careful about heads from this company

Default careful about heads from this company

Because of almost a majority of peeps stating IMM Engines in Cali was a good company to deal with, I went ahead and ordered a set of slightly warmed over heads from them. Someone here (I forget who) stated that they were not so stellar a company. He was right.
    I attempted to contact this company and have gotten absolutely no response.

Here's what I got:
    I asked that the combustion chambers to be 58cc and they were labeled as such. I was told they had to shave almost 30 thousands off the EQ heads to obtain this. The seats were 4 angle cut as advertised. They were not blended into the passage leaving a sharp angle on both valve sets. The margins on the valves themselves were untouched and too wide. They sat deep within the opening.
    There was "one" valve guide. Apparently the stem hole might have been too wide and thus the guide acting as a sleeve for this. There were no valve seals. Instead there was an umbrella type oil cup at the top of the spring. I hadn't seen this in about 40 years.
    Lastly the concentricity of the valve openings were off as much as 8 thousandths. Yeah the truck would have ran but for these size valves, the allowance should have been no larger than 2 thousandths. Be extra diligent about those "$1400" complete head sets that are advertised all over the place.
    I had to spend an extra $500 to get everything right.

I marvel at stories where people have bolted up a set of heads "right from the box" and then wonder why their engine grenades shortly after.
    Be sure you have any heads you get no matter where from, reviewed by someone else if you don't know what you're looking at.

Flyin' Ryan Performance (Ryan Hogan) is who said that.

2003 CC
    360 Swapped, FRP Tuned, 2.02 EQ Heads, 210XP cam, HS 1.7 RR's, Fastman 52mm TB, Mopar 2bbl M1, Mopar/PPH Headers, 2.5" True Dual, X-Pipe, Hooker AeroChambers, Hi Flow Cats, MSD Coil, Cloyes Double Roller Chain, JGC fan, 180F T-stat, Mopar Valve covers, K&N FIPK, PATC 2800 Stall, Martin Saine VB, Mildly built trans, 4.10 gears.
    249 HP/322 TQ FRP Tune (Old build. New build TBD)
    12.35 @ 109 (150 Shot)

r/DodgeDakota

Status

damn man. Thats a shame. Sorry they did you wrong. Sucks when you cant rely on ppl to do the service they are paid for.

Quote Originally Posted by niebs View Post
    damn man. Thats a shame. Sorry they did you wrong. Sucks when you cant rely on ppl to do the service they are paid for.
    You have a better memory than me Syn. Right niebs. I realize rates for work vary upon region. A clue to what you're getting for your money may just be where the company is. California, as with most coastal states, costs of living is higher and thus rates for charges following suit. What 1500 bucks gets you in one spot of the country, may indeed be differentiated depending where the company is. To remain competitive, rates may be commensurate with other areas but time spent on work may be way different.
    These heads were purported to flow 266 cfm. A number I now highly doubt considering what else was stated and wasn't delivered.
    Another factor to consider is what tooling costs. Tooling breaks down. Accuracy eventually gets compromised. If tooling is expensive, a company is going to be less prone to change them out as they wear and lose tolerance.
    All IMM needed to do was to put a concentricity gage on the seat cut. A step that must have been too costly on several planes for them to attempt. Just sloppy work from tooling beyond its life. The average person would be none the wiser and so it continues.

Status

That's too bad...
    99 DA CC R/T
    13.97@100 w/modded kegger & ported TB
    12.96 @103
    10:8-1 .30 over forged bottom end
    R/T ported heads
    Detroit locker 4:56 gears
    Built 46RE MSaine 3500 stall Ultra Billet
    http://imgur.com/a/lOVuZ

So IMM is not a good company to get heads from? I was looking at the Indy heads they sell

Status

Wow arro sorry to hear about your experience, makes me rethink about ordering some heads for my build. Thanks for sharing your experience with them.

Talked to imm yesterday and can’t get the Indy heads from them anymore

Status

Best way to get a set of heads is to just but a set of EQ's or Eddys for what ever the lowest price you can find, then have them looked over by a local machine shop. If you are looking to make like 700HP NA then you would look at going to a set of Indy off set rocker heads.

Quote Originally Posted by 99lowdakota View Post
    Best way to get a set of heads is to just but a set of EQ's or Eddys for what ever the lowest price you can find, then have them looked over by a local machine shop. If you are looking to make like 700HP NA then you would look at going to a set of Indy off set rocker heads.
    I agree (now). Also, get them "complete" as opposed to bare unless you know exactly what you want and willing to order separately.. At least you'll have all the head components right there. Small beans for the machine shop to take apart to check for head specs.

Status

Yep; Most machine shops will look at a set of heads for like $100-200 and if nothings wrong, re-assemble for you and your on your way. However most the time new heads require some valve work and guide work. So normally you are out about $400. Its sad but that's just the cost of doing business now.

Status

Trick Flow makes magnum heads. Power Port 190 for 318 & 360 small block Mopars. Also you can upgrade springs for more lift. Cheaper than Edelbrock. But I can't tell you if their any good or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Any R/T's View Post
    Trick Flow makes magnum heads. Power Port 190 for 318 & 360 small block Mopars. Also you can upgrade springs for more lift. Cheaper than Edelbrock. But I can't tell you if their any good or not.
    They flow almost 293 cfm at .600 lift which is excellent for the money in my mind.. You have to use HS rockers to duplicate oiling for the magnum.

Status
    2003 Dakota R/T CC Flame Red. Bolt ons, Built Trans.
    Dynotune Nitrous Wet system, 100 shot, FRP tuned. (SOLD! Gone but never forgotten)

Acts 2:38

Quote Originally Posted by SPelf View Post
    These are nothing more than EQ heads with the bigger valves and higher spring rates.. Does not state they have any other work done to them. The Trick Flow are a better bargain to me.

Status

Aren't the trick flow heads almost the same price as the Eddies?
    2003 Dakota R/T CC Flame Red. Bolt ons, Built Trans.
    Dynotune Nitrous Wet system, 100 shot, FRP tuned. (SOLD! Gone but never forgotten)

Acts 2:38

Quote Originally Posted by SPelf View Post
    Aren't the trick flow heads almost the same price as the Eddies?
    They're cheaper. You are getting a cnc head that flow much better than the Eddies.

How are they cheaper then eddy’s?

CAUSEDODGEPATTERNBALDNESS

Status

The roller cam version of the Eddies is $999.50 on Summit versus $1,019 for the Trickflow head with the same 7* steel locks as the Eddies, but you get better valve springs (.600 vs .650) and bigger runners (176/75 vs 190/81). You can also get slightly more expensive version of the Trickflow with 10* steel locks and slightly better springs ($10.99 more) or two different titanium lock versions with different max spring heights for $110-180 more. The downside is that you have to use Harland Sharp S72026K shaft rockers at $922.99, but if you're buying roller rockers anyway that would offset some of the cost (and shaft rockers should be more stable too) plus Eddies usually have to be gone through to make sure they aren't fubar on arrival so there's a little more of that difference erased as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Jwilkins1121 View Post
    How are they cheaper then eddy’s?
    When looking at the Edelbrock website which you can order directly from, the Magnum roller heads cost $999.50. That was without cnc porting. Trickflows for about $20 bucks more, are.

I call that "cheaper".
    Last edited by arro222; 06-02-2020 at 08:55 PM.

Then there are these: https://www.jegs.com/i/Speedmaster/7...nt=Speedmaster

Believe these are for LA engines however. Nice for the money though.

Status

I think he means cheaper by you get more bang for your buck. I have never really hurd anything about the Trickflows. Ik the offset valve aluminum heads by Indy are hands down the best set of heads you can buy for these motors tho. They are however like 2.1K for a set of them
    99 RT Fully built 365

Quote Originally Posted by 99lowdakota View Post
    I think he means cheaper by you get more bang for your buck. I have never really hurd anything about the Trickflows. Ik the offset valve aluminum heads by Indy are hands down the best set of heads you can buy for these motors tho. They are however like 2.1K for a set of them
    You can find Indy heads current for the Mopar small block? Suppliers seem to have jumped to the Trick Flow. At .500, they're flowing 281 cfm.

With proper work, you can get good flow from just about any head these days and it's not the total flow. Most people here do not have lifts in the .600-.700 range. I compare rates in the .400-.500 area for street driven Daks.
    Spend as much as you can on heads.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by arro222 View Post
    You can find Indy heads current for the Mopar small block? Suppliers seem to have jumped to the Trick Flow. At .500, they're flowing 281 cfm.

With proper work, you can get good flow from just about any head these days and it's not the total flow. Most people here do not have lifts in the .600-.700 range. I compare rates in the .400-.500 area for street driven Daks.
    Spend as much as you can on heads.
    Yeah you can still get the offset Indys for the magnum. and yeah I be one of those .610 lift range people lol. but I have MAX ported eddys that flow 300CFM at like .550 lift. anything over .5 tho is super hard for eddys. The return in flow vs what you pay to get them to flow above .500 is pretty hefty.
    99 RT Fully built 365

+ Reply to Thread