+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Nitrous kit vs. FRP tune

Status

Cool Nitrous kit vs. FRP tune

Just finished a top end rebuild on my truck. Freshened up stock heads, new head gaskets, etc.. So I have about 600 to spare. Torn between the everyday gains of one of Ryan's tunes, or the plug and play fun at the strip of a small wet kit, probably around a 75 shot. Which would yall do? My truck might see the local 8th mile strip a handful times a year. And it is my daily driver. Thoughts?

P.S., if anyone says that this has been covered before. Believe me I know, but I check this site daily and the past few days have had ZERO posts so I'm just striking up conversations. So sue me
    2003 Dakota R/T CC Flame Red. Bolt ons, Built Trans.
    Dynotune Nitrous Wet system, 100 shot, FRP tuned. (SOLD! Gone but never forgotten)

Acts 2:38

If you want it to run to the best of it’s ability then FRPTune. If you want to spray it with NOS then you still need a tune. Either way you’re better off with Ryan’s tune.

On a side note: If your engine is not designed and setup for NOS be prepared to rebuild it sooner than you think. Nitrous burns very hot and other factors come into play. Just my 2 cents.

Whiplash Engine & Machine, FRP Tuned
    Instagram moderator for dakota_rt_club

"Bleach Master"

Status

First, NOS is a brand and a ricer term, knock that fucking shit off!
    Second, A proper tune is worth it over a nitrous kit on an unturned combo.
    This signature has been deleted thanks to photobucket!

Many years ago i boight from the factory an m1, +10 cam, adj rockers. I went an added msd ign. and coil, headers, K&n. All that shit and it was barely any faster. Finally i went and order a tune from hemi fever and HOLY SHIT what a difference. Should of started there and then added on the other things 1 by 1.

"Bleach Master"

Status

Hemi fever tune, OOF!!!! lucky you didn't fuel foul your rings with his garbage tunes...

Not on his NA tunes, the plugs looked great on those. When i switched to the supercharger is when getting the tune perfect was harder. It does run rich and still has the hanging throttle issue occasionally. I need an FRP tune to get rid of it. I emailed Ryan a while back but never got a reply.

Supporting Vendor

Status

and still has the hanging throttle issue occasionally
    Have you tried adjusting you IAC counts via the throttle plate screw?

"Bleach Master"

Status

Quote Originally Posted by jj malone View Post
    Not on his NA tunes, the plugs looked great on those. When i switched to the supercharger is when getting the tune perfect was harder. It does run rich and still has the hanging throttle issue occasionally. I need an FRP tune to get rid of it. I emailed Ryan a while back but never got a reply.
    Um, yes, on his NA tunes, I wish I could remember the screen names of a couple people on here who had his NA tunes that dumped fuel down the engine....

Quote Originally Posted by slammedR/T View Post
    Um, yes, on his NA tunes, I wish I could remember the screen names of a couple people on here who had his NA tunes that dumped fuel down the engine....
    RAWNDART on some other site...
    1941 Dodge 1/2 ton, 493 twin turbo, EFI, 727, 4 wheel disc brakes, custom triangulated 4 link, DANA 60, Gleason Torsen diff,

2002 Dakota R/T RC, PX8, PPH Headers, K&N FIPK, Hotchkis TVS, 20" R/T chrome rims, BFG G-Force T/A KDW 275/35 ZR20 tires, Kenwood head unit, Kenwood speakers, RF amp, 8" RF Punch Z subs

1998 Dakota RC daily driver 5.9L, AX-15 5 speed, Hooker long tube headers, FRP tune

Status

I'm for sure leaning the way of a tune. Could always get it reflashed for nitrous as well. What kinda rear wheel gains can you realistically expect with my very mild mods and a tune? Maybe 15-20rwhp ?

And if I ever do spray it, I'm gonna put a big ol' NOS sticker on the back glass and put it in my signature just for Slammed
    Dynotune Nitrous Wet system, 100 shot, FRP tuned. (SOLD! Gone but never forgotten)

Quote Originally Posted by 98Dak408 View Post
    Have you tried adjusting you IAC counts via the throttle plate screw?
    Fuck its been so long since i really fucked with it, if i had to gues yes. Usually i charge the battery the day before i drive it and its alright. Its when i start driving it for a few days.

At the end of the day if you aint double checking someone elses work they did on your shit, its kind of your fault to. I mean the fucking guy had unlimited tunes available, do a couple logs. If not your fault in my eyes. I mean if you start your f****** truck and it smells like a Nazi concentration camp you might want to shut the b**** off

Quote Originally Posted by SPelf View Post
    I'm for sure leaning the way of a tune. Could always get it reflashed for nitrous as well. What kinda rear wheel gains can you realistically expect with my very mild mods and a tune? Maybe 15-20rwhp ?

And if I ever do spray it, I'm gonna put a big ol' NOS sticker on the back glass and put it in my signature just for Slammed
    Just get 2 tunes, dont they usually give you 3. Switch when you plan to spray. Tune is a no brainer.

Status

I was one of them.
    He swore that he never tuned rich, and when I went on the chassis dyno here, it was so pig rich the tuner couldn't believe that it ran as good as it did.
    Edelbrock Magnum heads, Harland-Sharp 1:6 RR, Jomar Performance Ultra-Lite Stud Girdle, SoutheastPerformance Sheet Metal Valve Covers, Custom Hyd Roller from Reed Cams, Mopar M-1 2 Brl Intake, Hughes Stage 1 TB, JBA SS Headers, Jacobs Electronics Pro Street Ignition System and Wires, MBRP 'Cuda Style Exhaust, Western Chassis 2" drop front and rear, Edelbrock IAS Shocks, Terry DeLong Pro-Glass Shaker Hood

"Bleach Master"

Status

If you're going to be stupid might as well go full retard with it...

Status

If you're going to be stupid might as well go full retard with it...
    Maybe I shouldn't even spray it. Just put the sticker on. That's makes me fast right? NAWSSS ->

"Bleach Master"

Status

Maybe I shouldn't even spray it. Just put the sticker on. That's makes me fast right? NAWSSS ->
    Better have a man help you with it, better yet, make that man a sammich!

Status

What kinda rear wheel gains can you realistically expect with my very mild mods and a tune? Maybe 15-20rwhp ?
    What mods? You haven't listed any actual mods. Go on the FRP Discussion FB page and look at his flowchart for bolt on magnums. He very clearly lists what you should be expecting to make.

-Justin

Status

Better have a man help you with it, better yet, make that man a sammich!
    Would you help me Mr Chad? I make a mean BLT

Status

Quote Originally Posted by xjsc16x View Post
    What mods? You haven't listed any actual mods. Go on the FRP Discussion FB page and look at his flowchart for bolt on magnums. He very clearly lists what you should be expecting to make.

-Justin
    My mods are in my signature. Hedman headers, axle dump with Hooker Aerochamber, CAI, MSD distributor/wires/coil. 180 stat. Now a stage 1 built trans with shift kit and all the gizmos.

But thanks for the info. I dont have any social media so I didnt know there was such a page. I'll check it out!

"Bleach Master"

Status

Would you help me Mr Chad? I make a mean BLT
    How big are your tits?

Get the tune. It will always be used. Nitrous has limited usage. You want your truck running righteous as a daily driver more than wanting to go faster. Limited places to get nitrous refills. Guy here gets $80 for 10lbs. You may have picked up 10-12 hp.

Status

Just now bought the tune and one of Ryan's 52mm throttle bodies he sells. Havent drove my truck since April, and have since fixed a very bad plenum leak, finished the exhaust, new transmission, and now a good 93 tune, it ought to feel like a new truck! I'm pretty pumped to finally get it the way I want.

"Bleach Master"

Status

Quote Originally Posted by arro222 View Post
    Get the tune. It will always be used. Nitrous has limited usage. You want your truck running righteous as a daily driver more than wanting to go faster. Limited places to get nitrous refills. Guy here gets $80 for 10lbs. You may have picked up 10-12 hp.
    You sure about that nitrous price? the shortage has been over for two years now, most people are paying $4.00 to $5.00 a lb for nitrous now.

+ Reply to Thread