+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How cold is your a/c out the center vents?

Status

Default How cold is your a/c out the center vents?

It's getting that time where temps are regularly 85-90+ and it's going to get hotter by July and August here in GA. When I got my R/T in 2015 I first had to replace the heater core, a/c evaporator, resistor, fan, and the evaporator box. I had to replace the heater core the rest I just replaced while the dash was out. I had the temp cable off the box when I had to replace the broken top but I never messed with the adjustment clip. After the heater core job was done, I also went ahead replaced hoses, orifice tube, accumulator and o-rings. I also drained and refilled the compressor oil. It seems to be working correctly but it doesn't seem to get cold very quick after startup. I thought it was a misadjusted temp cable so I just tried the cable adjustment at the knob. Everything worked out as in the instructions so I guess the cable is adjusted properly. It's 85 outside today and according to the FSM it should be between 44-48 degrees out the center vents. At stops it jumps up to about 58, cruising the best I could do was to 49-50 degrees on Max A/C. So a few degrees off but when you stop or are going slow it's in 50's, still cool out the vents. The accumulator and lines are sweating pretty good. I will try a pressure reading next. But I was wondering what other R/T's are putting out or if there is really anything wrong. I know this one lacks any heater control valve and I know there's a lot more heat under the hood being a V8. My 4 cylinder Ranger with 400,000 miles on the original a/c compressor puts out 40 at the vents with no problem. Sometimes 35 at night. Could my compressor and condenser just be inefficient? I was planning on changing it out this summer just to keep from having a failure.

Status

~40-45 degree drop is about it. Humidity will change it a bunch too.

Status

What Is A/C?

Status

Mine is a 99. I suspected that I forgot to adjust the temp cable on the evaporator box when I changed everything. But I realized that I wouldn't have messed with the adjusting clip. Yesterday I did the temp cable adjustment at the knob and it was adjusted correctly. I would hate to remove the dash to just change a cable. What about one of those automatic adjusting orifice tubes for climates over 105 degrees? Think that might help any?

+ Reply to Thread