+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 46RE downshift under hard acceleration

Default 46RE downshift under hard acceleration

Under hard acceleration from a stop, the trans will go first, second and then drop back to first when I quickly let off it steps back up and away I go again. It’s happened a few times but not every time.

Any ideas on this or suggestions? Thanks

Whiplash Engine & Machine, FRP Tuned
    Instagram moderator for dakota_rt_club

Supporting Vendor

Status

Not really sure but if you are using a stiffer TV (throttle valve) spring in the valve body or it has been turned in too far, that may make it too sensitive and it is trying to downshift again. Try moving the TV cable at the throttle body towards the radiator a bit to see if that does anything to help. Doing so will reduce the TV spring pressure a bit to see if that may be causing a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by 98Dak408 View Post
    Not really sure but if you are using a stiffer TV (throttle valve) spring in the valve body or it has been turned in too far, that may make it too sensitive and it is trying to downshift again. Try moving the TV cable at the throttle body towards the radiator a bit to see if that does anything to help. Doing so will reduce the TV spring pressure a bit to see if that may be causing a problem.
    Thanks Richard I was wondering if the TV cable could use an adjustment to correct this. I will try it out and report back.

I moved the TV cable forward about an 1/8” so far seems to be good.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiggsy72 View Post
    I moved the TV cable forward about an 1/8” so far seems to be good.
    If it pops up again Wiggsy, I'd look to replace the down shift solenoid. Freakin electronics. Gosh I hate them.

Quote Originally Posted by arro222 View Post
    If it pops up again Wiggsy, I'd look to replace the down shift solenoid. Freakin electronics. Gosh I hate them.
    I’ll keep that in mind for sure.

Status

Full Disclosure: I don't know all the functions of the internals of a 46re, so take this for what it's worth. The following is what happened when I popped my stock engine. I was on the highway headed home from work in a 55mph zone. There were two cars ahead of me going 45mph. I pulled the trans down to 2nd gear manually and nailed it when the on coming car cleared. I got out beside the first car and the trans downshifted to 1st. Of course it bounced off the factory fuel cut off a couple times, then lost power. The factory 2 piece intake valve separated, dropping the head and exploding the #5 piston. The engine then hydrauliced and split the same cylinder. A year later after building the new engine I soon discovered that the trans was fubarred.
    99 DA CC R/T
    13.97@100 w/modded kegger & ported TB
    12.96 @103
    10:8-1 .30 over forged bottom end
    R/T ported heads
    Detroit locker 4:56 gears
    Built 46RE MSaine 3500 stall Ultra Billet
    http://imgur.com/a/lOVuZ

+ Reply to Thread