+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Headers

Status

Quote Originally Posted by DakotaRat View Post
    Woah that looks like it sucks man!

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Goober rt View Post
    I was gonna start a tread about this..... I’m gonna look into buying a set of headers I the next couple weeks. What’s better mids or long tube headers . And are the spintech headers one of the best options? What’s better? As of right now I have the mopar mid length headers. I was told that there crappy headers! Is it true? My headers are also 20 years old lol. Not worried about smog if that’s a issue with the long tube headers.
    NO, stay with the Mopar/PPH mids. If anything pull them and have them ceramic coated. I am still running my 20 year old PPH headers on my built 365 c.i. 10:8 -1 compression engine. Spend that money somewhere else...
    99 DA CC R/T
    13.97@100 w/modded kegger & ported TB
    12.96 @103
    10:8-1 .30 over forged bottom end
    R/T ported heads
    Detroit locker 4:56 gears
    Built 46RE MSaine 3500 stall Ultra Billet
    http://imgur.com/a/lOVuZ

Status

Good to know! Thanks 99DRT

Status

Quote Originally Posted by 99dart View Post
    NO, stay with the Mopar/PPH mids. If anything pull them and have them ceramic coated. I am still running my 20 year old PPH headers on my built 365 c.i. 10:8 -1 compression engine. Spend that money somewhere else...
    What’s the benefit of ceramic coated? Last longer? Cleaner flow?

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Goober rt View Post
    What’s the benefit of ceramic coated? Last longer? Cleaner flow?
    It protects the headers from rust/corrosion and keeps the engine bay, surrounding wiring/rubber items cooler.
    99 DA CC R/T
    13.97@100 w/modded kegger & ported TB
    12.96 @103
    10:8-1 .30 over forged bottom end
    R/T ported heads
    Detroit locker 4:56 gears
    Built 46RE MSaine 3500 stall Ultra Billet
    http://imgur.com/a/lOVuZ

Status

i had the same problem. they have a flat spot like they clearenced them, but its rotated 40 degrees from where they need to be.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by R/T ish... View Post
    i had the same problem. they have a flat spot like they clearenced them, but its rotated 40 degrees from where they need to be.
    Yep.
    1999 R/C Solar yellow

Quote Originally Posted by 99dart View Post
    Dart: sent you a pm. Not sure if any are getting through now. I sat on one for 4 months until I realized someone sent one to me. "Notifications" does not seem to "light up" as it did 3 years ago.

Status

I have a set of Jess Dale Long Tubes's I'm not using...Fit perfect on my 2001. Maybe not the prettiest out there, but perfect for someone running a power adder, Im NA, and 2" to 4" was too big.
    11.27 @ 118.23
    2017 NM Mopar Challenge Series Champion

I have had nothing but problems with the spintech headers. Specifically the gaskets. I've had them off twice now and had to purchase new ones, because they leak. It sounds like my engine is knocking. I'm about to go into it again for the third time. $48 a gasket is no joke. I also spoke with spintech about the clearance issues with the steering rack, they told me that they must not have been installed correctly. How can I not install it right? You Bolt them up and they either fit or they don't. I would not recommend spintech. They've been nothing but trouble.

20200521_200949.jpg

You can see at the corners on both the bottom right and left of the gasket that there's no bolts to hold it down. So at both those spots, where it's thinnest, it leaks. Poor design.

Quote Originally Posted by DakotaRat View Post
    20200521_200949.jpg

You can see at the corners on both the bottom right and left of the gasket that there's no bolts to hold it down. So at both those spots, where it's thinnest, it leaks. Poor design.
    Get yourself a set of Remflex header gaskets. They're several layers thick and conform to a lot of flange irregularities.

DAKRT56

Status

Yep, the whole port plate thing with Spintechs sucks ass, but as arro said, pick up some Remflex gaskets.

I tried the crap Spintech included before I knew any better, leaked almost immediately. Threw on Remflexes and never looked back. Hipotek, one of our supporting vendors, sells them.

Steve - 1999 Flame Red RC R/T-56
    Comp Cams | F&B | Mopar | Spintech | SCT | Hotchkis

"Bleach Master"

Status

I have been running spintechs for years, first thing i did was helicoil the threads in the port plates, then I run ultra copper RTV on the plates to the heads and Remflex gaskets on the headers to plates and i use ARP bolts. ZERO leaks ever with my longtubes. Other have also got with a guy who makes one piece plates for the headers, try a search here or on the dakota R/T owners group page on facebook to contact him if you want to go that route.

That exhaust pattern is a reverse stahl pattern and very similar to the W2 pattern, the pattern is not the issue.
    This signature has been deleted thanks to photobucket!

Status

My spintechs have ticked from day one. I was planning on trying to fix that this weekend, but now I think I'll order the remflex gaskets. Perfect timing for this thread to come back to life. Thanks guys

Status

I’ve used cometic type gaskets, but I have long tube hookers with the 1/2 aluminum plate, but I also use the copper rtv sealant, but then I swapped to remflex with the copper rtv, 1 pack per side(2)

I will look into getting some new gaskets ordered. Thanks for the direction guys! I will update once I get them goin'.

Status

I just got my remflex gaskets installed this weekend and the leak is gone. It had blown a hole in the gasket for all 4 cylinders on the passenger side with the cheap ones spintech sends. Thanks for the lead.

Blackknight, which hooker long tubes do you have?and what year is your truck?
    I talked to hooker last week about # 5803. They don’t know if it fits a 2002. They currently have six sets in inventory. Interested in long tubes but not a fan of port plates on a daily commuter. If you or anyone else knows if these can fit , it could be an option when I go to dual exhaust.

Status

I can’t remember the part number, I ordered them from Marty @krcperformance back in the day, and my truck is a 99, but I have the plates also

Thanks , did yours seal forever or do you reseal in 10 to 15 k miles.
    Last time I had port plates was in the eighties on a stroker 408 ford.
    Never made 2 years without resealing.
    Is Marty at utawesome performance now?

Status

It hasn’t moved in 4-5 years lol ! And honestly idk what happened to any of the KRC crew

my headers are 20 years old also...but because they are long tube tri-y's im not finding any worthy replacements.....

Home School Valedictorian

Status

Anyone with JBA header experience?

https://www.jegs.com/p/JBA/JBA-Mopar...E&model=DAKOTA

"Excuse me if I have some place in my mind, where I go time to time"

-Zen-

Status

Quote Originally Posted by 9t9-5.2 View Post
    Can't speak to the 5.9 set, but I installed some JBA shorties on my '01 4.7 right after I bought it. Fit fine, and put 175k miles on them with no leaks/issues.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast