+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 400whp... is it possible

Status

Default 400whp... is it possible

Hey everybody. Title say it all. Love the look of the dak but only 250hp out of 360ci seems a bit anemic. My 06 gto with just long tubes made 395whp out of 360ci. Granted I’m comparing apples to oranges. so far every thing I’ve read says build a 408 or spend big money of top end kit for 350hp. I’ll LS swap it if that’s the case. Custom twinscrew and cam maybe?🤔. Anybody have any good recipes

Status

very possible, with the right budget.

Status

If you LS swap better be a 6.0 or GTFO do it

Status

Quote Originally Posted by niebs View Post
    very possible, with the right budget.
    That’s the thing, IF I’m going to be $4k in to a 5.9 then a 6.0 LS would be the way to go

Status

not sure 4k for a ls swap will get you there either. youll need the motor, trans and ecu. donor vehicle would be best at that point. but then still some go fast parts. junk yard 5.3, th400, ebay special turbo would be best bet.
    but at 4k. I would rather grab a newer hemi. you can find motor/trans 6.4 combos for ~3k.

Status

but back to the op. i think good flowing higher compression heads, cam and exhaust will get you there. Is it price efficient tho?

Status

Quote Originally Posted by niebs View Post
    not sure 4k for a ls swap will get you there either. youll need the motor, trans and ecu. donor vehicle would be best at that point. but then still some go fast parts. junk yard 5.3, th400, ebay special turbo would be best bet.
    but at 4k. I would rather grab a newer hemi. you can find motor/trans 6.4 combos for ~3k.
    A 6.4 for under $5k? That exists? Point me the way. Yards near me I can grab a 6.0 short block for $250, Do a stand rebuild with some goodies. Square port heads are getting cheap. Ar5 5speed. 400hp is easy. I would love to keep it all dodge but every Hemi swap I find people think they have gold

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Mattp232 View Post
    A 6.4 for under $5k? That exists? Point me the way. Yards near me I can grab a 6.0 short block for $250, Do a stand rebuild with some goodies. Square port heads are getting cheap. Ar5 5speed. 400hp is easy. I would love to keep it all dodge but every Hemi swap I find people think they have gold
    There was one close to you on craigslist not long ago.

Status

There’s a guy in south philly that parts trucks out for powertrain’s. We grabbed one from him for a buddies 72 firebird.

want more inchs STROKE IT

Status

It can be done
    But other power plants will get you there easier
    But then again you have to pay for the new motor and cost of the swap

Bad Luck Truck
    Current setup
    „R„block 429ci W5 heads 700hp N/A
    1/8 mile #'s 6.47@105 1.37 60’ 10.23@131

Old 1/4 numbers below with 408
    Fastest N/A 2010,2011,2014
    477-RWHP ?-RWTQ

11.244 ET @ 119.71mph N/A
    FOXHOLE RACING
    "If you like me good, if you hate me, even better!"
    Chris

There's always the 440 or even a warmed up 383. Lots of RV's had them. Shouldn't be too hard to find at the yard. I believe there is a company that still may make transitional pieces to plop one in.http://engine-swaps.com/Pages/Produc...4Dak.htmlHeads,. Heads, cam and intake should get you there easily. Couple this with a 727 tranny and you'd have a runner. http://engine-swaps.com/Pages/ProductsYear/9704Dak.html
    While one path may be "cheaper" than another, nothing will be "cheap" to do.
    Last edited by arro222; 04-07-2019 at 05:23 AM.

Turbo Dakota Junky

Status

My go-to to make power is still boost.
    If you only want 400 - a blower is easy.
    WAY easier than engine swaps.
    Duner
    4.7 Turbocharged CC in white - 12's
    5.9 Turbocharged RC in black - 10's

1999 Dodge Dakota R/T RC Turbo: 10.51 @ 130.13 MPH

Status

What would be the most cost effective gain of HP per dollar?

LS engines have been proven over and over again... If you have the skill and means I say it's the way to go..

Status

Quote Originally Posted by RedRT View Post
    What would be the most cost effective gain of HP per dollar?

LS engines have been proven over and over again... If you have the skill and means I say it's the way to go..
    depends how much power you want. at 400 its not really worth a swap. at 700-1000. then ls and boost.
    Holley has a great plug and play for the ls for 1k.

Status

440s are pigs.
    Build your 360, drop in a 727, go fast.
    11.27 @ 118.23
    2017 NM Mopar Challenge Series Champion

Status

Good luck doing a whole LS swap for cheap unless you're prepared to fab everything yourself. Engine mounts, trans mount, headers, exhaust, and a new driveshaft don't just poof out of thin air.

I dumped a few g's into a top end (eddy's, M1 2bbl, billet TB, cam) and then threw forged pistons and bearings in my block for 0 deck and good measure. It will make well north of 400 wheel.

On a real budget build, you could just do EQs intake cam and send it on the SBE, and spray it to 4. It's been done.

-Justin

Quote Originally Posted by Adobedude View Post
    440s are pigs.
    Build your 360, drop in a 727, go fast.
    Yea but they got the cubic inches. Stroke it to 512 and you have 640 ft lb capability with over 580 hp. that should translate to well over 400 rwhp. Lets see, junk yard engine, right parts, stroker crank...figure 6k in the motor, another 1.5K to sit it in, 727 and you have an na mover for less than 8K.
    The guy before me put 4k worth of stuff in this present RT I have. I put in another 4K of top engine and it's still a pig. With me in it its 4300 lbs. The sled needs torque!
    Last edited by arro222; 04-08-2019 at 05:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Duner View Post

It is the easiest but you'd want to spend a bit on the engine and you'd have to find a used centrifugal. . Figurin mild heads around $1500, cam -$350, intake-$350, headers- $700, rockers, timing chain
    set, gaskets, injection, push rods maybe another $500, then lets say a $3000 centrifugal and another $500 in tunes... Be tough to do for less than 6K

An LS engine in anything but a Chevy is like eating pickles and ice cream to me and that includes the millions of Ford hot rods or resto mods with chevies in them.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Duner View Post
    I'm with Duner.....
    1999 R/C Solar yellow

Status

I’m loving all the input here guys, thank you. I love the boost idea. I’m all for it but I worry about cast pistons and what not. I’ve built several Chevy and ford motors before but when it comes to these mopars I probably know more about ballroom dancing. Can these bottom ends take any power or rpm? �� Other then my 3 4.0 Jeeps (amc anyway) this is the most Chrysler vehicle I’ve owned. Mounts don’t scare me and all info from other guys doing it, it’s seems straight forward. Far as 727s count me out lol. I know autos are faster. My car group has some 9 and 10sec LSA’s, all autos. this thing is getting a manual no matter what motor it has. My trans is fresh but I just don’t trust autos, never have. Don’t think I’m hating on these engines. I’m not by any means. If i can get a reliable 400whp with maybe heads, cam and manifold I am 100% on board to keep it all Mopar. I’ll even throw another block on a stand for a home rebuild. I feel like Tearing my hair out staring at it ��
    Last edited by Mattp232; 04-09-2019 at 12:52 AM.

I’m loving all the input here guys, thank you. I love the boost idea. I’m all for it but I worry about cast pistons and what not. I’ve built several Chevy and ford motors before but when it comes to these mopars I probably know more about ballroom dancing. Can these bottom ends take any power or rpm? �� Other then my 3 4.0 Jeeps (amc anyway) this is the most Chrysler vehicle I’ve owned. Mounts don’t scare me and all info from other guys doing it, it’s seems straight forward. Far as 727s count me out lol. I know autos are faster. My car group has some 9 and 10sec LSA’s, all autos. this thing is getting a manual no matter what motor it has. My trans is fresh but I just don’t trust autos, never have. Don’t think I’m hating on these engines. I’m not by any means. If i can get a reliable 400whp with maybe heads, cam and manifold I am 100% on board to keep it all Mopar. I’ll even throw another block on a stand for a home rebuild. I feel like Tearing my hair out staring at it ��
    You aren't gonna get there with mildly worked heads, cam and intake unless you use boost. Stock bottom is pretty stout and will swallow 400 rwhp and be in the 5800-6000 rpm range. What kills many a boosted engine before the bottom gives out is ring gap collapse.
    If you're going stick, you aren't losing as much rwhp as with an auto so your engine hp doesn't have to be as much. For mine (auto) to make 400 rwhp, engine output would have to be closer to 500 hp. It is why I suggested the big block if you wanted na. It seems a standard 360 with variances in top end work produces 275-350 rwhp through an auto tranny. With the standard 20% loss of an auto tranny, the engine hp would be around 400-430 hp.That might be enough to put a smile on your face with a stick shift.

I was in the same boat as you having raced mostly Fords and a couple Chevies and a knowledge base emanating from the late 60's. Didn't know crap about Mopars nor electronics nor ever raced with an automatic. I've spent the last two and a half years studying everything I can about Mopars. Even bought an old 318 Dakota just to tear apart and play with the engine. Have bought several books, Have conversed with many a Mopar guy and the people here on this forum have been a wealth of information.
    Last edited by arro222; 04-09-2019 at 05:20 AM.

"Bleach Master"

Status

Yes they can hold decent power, I believe Ryan Hogan (FRP performance) has an sbe magnum making 675whp with a turbo. Go to his website or face page.
    This signature has been deleted thanks to photobucket!

"Bleach Master"

Status

Where is this yard that sells 6.0's for $250? I'll buy everyone they have!
    This signature has been deleted thanks to photobucket!

want more inchs STROKE IT

Status

Quote Originally Posted by xjsc16x View Post
    Good luck doing a whole LS swap for cheap unless you're prepared to fab everything yourself. Engine mounts, trans mount, headers, exhaust, and a new driveshaft don't just poof out of thin air.

I dumped a few g's into a top end (eddy's, M1 2bbl, billet TB, cam) and then threw forged pistons and bearings in my block for 0 deck and good measure. It will make well north of 400 wheel.

On a real budget build, you could just do EQs intake cam and send it on the SBE, and spray it to 4. It's been done.

-Justin
    Well north of 400whp n/a? In my experience it will take more then that to hit 400 whp

Quote Originally Posted by arro222 View Post
    You aren't gonna get there with mildly worked heads, cam and intake unless you use boost. Stock bottom is pretty stout and will swallow 400 rwhp and be in the 5800-6000 rpm range. What kills many a boosted engine before the bottom gives out is ring gap collapse.
    If you're going stick, you aren't losing as much rwhp as with an auto so your engine hp doesn't have to be as much. For mine (auto) to make 400 rwhp, engine output would have to be closer to 500 hp. It is why I suggested the big block if you wanted na. It seems a standard 360 with variances in top end work produces 275-350 rwhp through an auto tranny. With the standard 20% loss of an auto tranny, the engine hp would be around 400-430 hp.That might be enough to put a smile on your face with a stick shift.

I was in the same boat as you having raced mostly Fords and a couple Chevies and a knowledge base emanating from the late 60's. Didn't know crap about Mopars nor electronics nor ever raced with an automatic. I've spent the last two and a half years studying everything I can about Mopars. Even bought an old 318 Dakota just to tear apart and play with the engine. Have bought several books, Have conversed with many a Mopar guy and the people here on this forum have been a wealth of information.
    ^^^^that sounds more like it^^^^

Bad Luck Truck
    Current setup
    „R„block 429ci W5 heads 700hp N/A
    1/8 mile #'s 6.47@105 1.37 60’ 10.23@131

Old 1/4 numbers below with 408
    Fastest N/A 2010,2011,2014
    477-RWHP ?-RWTQ

11.244 ET @ 119.71mph N/A
    FOXHOLE RACING
    "If you like me good, if you hate me, even better!"
    Chris

Status

Quote Originally Posted by slammedR/T View Post
    Where is this yard that sells 6.0's for $250? I'll buy everyone they have!
    I got a totaled Denali sitting in my back yard...take the whole drivetrain for $500

-Justin

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast