+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 400whp... is it possible

Status

So after a sit down with a Mopar buddy of mine and having him beg me not to put a Chevy motor in it, he’s not got me looking at 5.7 Hemi’s. I know 400hp is easy for a 5.7 but is it really worth it? My truck being a 99 I think will need cross member trimmed

Quote Originally Posted by Mattp232 View Post
    So after a sit down with a Mopar buddy of mine and having him beg me not to put a Chevy motor in it, he’s not got me looking at 5.7 Hemi’s. I know 400hp is easy for a 5.7 but is it really worth it? My truck being a 99 I think will need cross member trimmed
    Depends on how much you want 400 rwhp and what your criteria for "worth" is. Figure around 8K at the cheapest. Some of the guys here have spent that amount by 9 am. My first attempt would be with what I have..a 360 with boost and some top engine work. Easily north of 400 rwhp. Second outlook and if you wanted na, would be not with a hemi, but a stroked 440 to 512. With the right parts, you should get over 550 hp. 440's are dirt cheap at the yards. A hemi, not so much.
    You have a stick shift. You could spend 5K on a good set of heads, medium cam, headers and Air Gap intake, tune and I bet, be perfectly happy and that's with having it done. If you're not, your next step is boost for another 1-5K depending on what method.
    What's with the obsession of "400 rwhp"? Other than rwhp, what else are you trying to achieve?

By a crate Hellcat engine when on sale or used from Detroit Power.

Whiplash Engine & Machine, FRP Tuned
    Instagram moderator for dakota_rt_club

Quote Originally Posted by Wiggsy72 View Post
    By a crate Hellcat engine when on sale or used from Detroit Power.
    It's fun spending other peoples money. It makes 20K seem like nothing.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by arro222 View Post
    Depends on how much you want 400 rwhp and what your criteria for "worth" is. Figure around 8K at the cheapest. Some of the guys here have spent that amount by 9 am. My first attempt would be with what I have..a 360 with boost and some top engine work. Easily north of 400 rwhp. Second outlook and if you wanted na, would be not with a hemi, but a stroked 440 to 512. With the right parts, you should get over 550 hp. 440's are dirt cheap at the yards. A hemi, not so much.
    You have a stick shift. You could spend 5K on a good set of heads, medium cam, headers and Air Gap intake, tune and I bet, be perfectly happy and that's with having it done. If you're not, your next step is boost for another 1-5K depending on what method.
    What's with the obsession of "400 rwhp"? Other than rwhp, what else are you trying to achieve?
    I am definitely thinking the route you went. I’ve been toying with the idea of a custom water cooled twin screw. Maybe homeport some OE heads and a decent cam. The idea of a 440 sounds awesome but how do you go about keeping it fuel injected and what not. $5k sounds like a bit much. I did a Edelbrock top end on a 302 years back and what a screamer but that was only a $3k kit. I feel that 400 is a very happy place to be. I’ve owned and driven several in that range and it’s enough to have fun, get in trouble and stay user friendly. Don’t get me wrong, 700 HP Is incredible to drive but for now I’d like to keep this truck controllable. As long as this 360 can take a few pounds of boost and not split the block in half or throw a rod I will gladly grab another one for a stand rebuild. BTW they just released the price for the hellephant crate. $30k.
    Last edited by Mattp232; 04-26-2019 at 10:42 PM.

I am definitely thinking the route you went. I’ve been toying with the idea of a custom water cooled twin screw. Maybe homeport some OE heads and a decent cam. The idea of a 440 sounds awesome but how do you go about keeping it fuel injected and what not. $5k sounds like a bit much. I did a Edelbrock top end on a 302 years back and what a screamer but that was only a $3k kit. I feel that 400 is a very happy place to be. I’ve owned and driven several in that range and it’s enough to have fun, get in trouble and stay user friendly. Don’t get me wrong, 700 HP Is incredible to drive but for now I’d like to keep this truck controllable. As long as this 360 can take a few pounds of boost and not split the block in half or throw a rod I will gladly grab another one for a stand rebuild. BTW they just released the price for the hellephant crate. $30k.
    Top engine kits are in the $2500 range but but you'd also need a wide band, gaskets, SCT tune or whatever they have now, timing chain , etc, etc. Maybe closer to 4K with you doing the work.
    The 440 would be carbed. I suppose someone might make a fuel injected system for it but that's another $2500. The bottom end of the 360 is not the danger point with reasonable boost. It's ring gap you would be more concerned about and even that with some boost abuse. Putting rings on a honing machine is money well spent if you're going the boost route none the less. Good luck finding a twin screw to configure. "custom" means "dollars".

Someonbne here picked up a new set of aluminum Eldelbrocks he was going to slap on only to discover the valve stem orifices were drilled misaligned.
    . Never put a set of heads on out of the box so I'm not a fan of those "top engine kits" as they make you think you're all set and just need to "bolt on".. Give me the heads and I'll take them to a machine shop to configure. My cam choice would be judged upon how I'm using the truck and not what someone else thinks what cam should go with these heads.

I'd do the top engine work first. Cut the heads 30 thousandths with 58cc, one piece 2.02 intakes and mild porting and match ported with an Air Gap intake cut to angle fit the heads and a cam in the .226-.230 @ .50 range with .512 lift and a 112 lsa. Headers and a good cai may be all the fun you'd need. If not, add boost or 4.56's at the rear.
    Last edited by arro222; 04-27-2019 at 04:05 PM.

Status

Top engine kits are in the $2500 range but but you'd also need a wide band, gaskets, SCT tune or whatever they have now, timing chain , etc, etc. Maybe closer to 4K with you doing the work.
    The 440 would be carbed. I suppose someone might make a fuel injected system for it but that's another $2500. The bottom end of the 360 is not the danger point with reasonable boost. It's ring gap you would be more concerned about and even that with some boost abuse. Putting rings on a honing machine is money well spent if you're going the boost route none the less. Good luck finding a twin screw to configure. "custom" means "dollars".

Someonbne here picked up a new set of aluminum Eldelbrocks he was going to slap on only to discover the valve stem orifices were drilled misaligned.
    . Never put a set of heads on out of the box so I'm not a fan of those "top engine kits" as they make you think you're all set and just need to "bolt on".. Give me the heads and I'll take them to a machine shop to configure. My cam choice would be judged upon how I'm using the truck and not what someone else thinks what cam should go with these heads.

I'd do the top engine work first. Cut the heads 30 thousandths with 58cc, one piece 2.02 intakes and mild porting and match ported with an Air Gap intake cut to angle fit the heads and a cam in the .226-.230 @ .50 range with .512 lift and a 112 lsa. Headers and a good cai may be all the fun you'd need. If not, add boost or 4.56's at the rear.
    �������� Thanks for all the info That’s kind of what I was thinking about. Maybe scoop up a set of remand heads. Thankfully Every head and or cam I’ve ordered I haven’t had issues. I’d be pretty upset after spending that much and They either need to go back or have work done. Wouldn’t mind the right carbureted setup but here in NJ being 96 and newer I need an OBD2 so they can see readiness is set. There’s a thing I can apply for since the truck is limited availability I may be able to get it emissions exempt. No more inspections ever. Then the gloves are off. I just need the production amount verified somehow. I guess the DMV will know I see Hughes makes a few camshafts but they do seem rather tame, almost stock. Are there any other companies make EFI bump sticks for these things?

�������� Thanks for all the info That’s kind of what I was thinking about. Maybe scoop up a set of remand heads. Thankfully Every head and or cam I’ve ordered I haven’t had issues. I’d be pretty upset after spending that much and They either need to go back or have work done. Wouldn’t mind the right carbureted setup but here in NJ being 96 and newer I need an OBD2 so they can see readiness is set. There’s a thing I can apply for since the truck is limited availability I may be able to get it emissions exempt. No more inspections ever. Then the gloves are off. I just need the production amount verified somehow. I guess the DMV will know I see Hughes makes a few camshafts but they do seem rather tame, almost stock. Are there any other companies make EFI bump sticks for these things?
    Yes. Hughes out sources their cams and many are regrinds as opposed to new cores. Last I heard they were getting them from Bullet Cams. A local vendor here is Hypotek. There is always Comp, Isky and Mopar. Here the vehicle becomes exempt from emissions after 25 years.

Hughes provides a bunch of different cams and many that are far from "tame".
    Last edited by arro222; 04-28-2019 at 03:22 PM.

Status

Yes. Hughes out sources their cams and many are regrinds as opposed to new cores. Last I heard they were getting them from Bullet Cams. A local vendor here is Hypotek. There is always Comp, Isky and Mopar. Here the vehicle becomes exempt from emissions after 25 years.

Hughes provides a bunch of different cams and many that are far from "tame".
    Yep we have same thing here. Sadly not 25 yet so I can do that until then. Thank u sir for the info. I’ll be on the computer tonight searching. Can’t go too crazy. Some people don’t believe that over cramming is a thing.

Yep we have same thing here. Sadly not 25 yet so I can do that until then. Thank u sir for the info. I’ll be on the computer tonight searching. Can’t go too crazy. Some people don’t believe that over cramming is a thing.
    Most certainly is if it's gonna be a daily driver. Tuning makes up for a lot of differences these days. Call Richard at Hypotek. You can find him at the "vendors" section of the forum. Tell him your purpose for the truck and he'll set you up.

Status

If you want to LS swap it, should of just got an S10
    Past Trucks:
    98 Black Dakota CC Sport 3.9 2WD
    04 Black Dakota QC SLT 4.7 4WD

Current Vehicles:
    14 Black Dart GT
    03 Black Dakota RC 5.9 R/T

Status

Most certainly is if it's gonna be a daily driver. Tuning makes up for a lot of differences these days. Call Richard at Hypotek. You can find him at the "vendors" section of the forum. Tell him your purpose for the truck and he'll set you up.
    Truck isn’t a daily thankfully. I checked out hypotek, wow thank u. They’re definitely going to be hearing from me.

I was actually searching for another s10 when I found my RT. I couldn’t walk away. I’ve wanted one for too long. Apart from having zero drag wheel options lol I’m very very happy with my purchase. No quite a mini truck, no quite a full sized. Just rite

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2