+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Freshening up some R/T Heads...

Status

Wow, looks great! I really like that you took the time to DIY so much of the work on the heads! I'm excited for you! I'm ready to hear results from the Ol' Butt dyno!!
    99 DA CC R/T
    13.97@100 w/modded kegger & ported TB
    12.96 @103
    10:8-1 .30 over forged bottom end
    R/T ported heads
    Detroit locker 4:56 gears
    Built 46RE MSaine 3500 stall Ultra Billet
    http://imgur.com/a/lOVuZ

Status

Oh, so you ended up going with stock length valves, correct? Do have any idea what valve springs you have & seat pressure? I think my Crane 99838 springs have too low of a seat pressure. My rpms start breaking down above 6300.
    99 DA CC R/T
    12.96 @103
    R/T ported heads

I gots to have mo'par-ts!

Status

Quote Originally Posted by 99dart View Post
    Oh, so you ended up going with stock length valves, correct? Do have any idea what valve springs you have & seat pressure? I think my Crane 99838 springs have too low of a seat pressure. My rpms start breaking down above 6300.
    Yes, I stayed with the 1.65" height springs, stock length valves. My machinist setup the spring pressures as
    VALVE CLOSED: 150-155lbs
    VALVE OPEN: 310-325lbs

Yeah at first I was going to just clean them up and get a valve job, but then I went into the deep end with the "while you're at it" philosophy.
    1999 R/T CC Flame Red (what's left of the paint)
    //SHAKER// 408 Forged // TKO600 5spd // Spintech-Mids // HiPoTek 106 LOPEYCAM // FRP Tuned //

Status

LOL, I hear ya there. I wish you knew what springs you have! I have had Richard look at springs for me as well. We didn't come up with anything that fit the specs for 1.65 installed. :/
    99 DA CC R/T
    12.96 @103
    R/T ported heads

Status

Quote Originally Posted by 99dart View Post
    LOL, I hear ya there. I wish you knew what springs you have! I have had Richard look at springs for me as well. We didn't come up with anything that fit the specs for 1.65 installed. :/
    Hmm yeah I wish I knew what springs I had, if I had to guess they are likely Mopar Perf. Springs... maybe one of these?
    https://www.jegs.com/i/Mopar-Perform...76062/10002/-1

Or

https://www.jegs.com/i/Mopar-Perform...12068/10002/-1

What cam are you running 99dart?
    //SHAKER// 408 Forged // TKO600 5spd // Spintech-Mids // HiPoTek 106 LOPEYCAM // FRP Tuned //

Supporting Vendor

Status

Decent results! That should make a difference.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by JDreamR/T View Post
    Hmm yeah I wish I knew what springs I had, if I had to guess they are likely Mopar Perf. Springs... maybe one of these?
    https://www.jegs.com/i/Mopar-Perform...76062/10002/-1

Or

https://www.jegs.com/i/Mopar-Perform...12068/10002/-1

What cam are you running 99dart?
    Comp grind spec'd by Danno. 224-230 @ .050. 106cl & 110ls. I have 1.7 rockers so, final lift is .570I, .578E
    99 DA CC R/T
    12.96 @103
    R/T ported heads

Status

New update, pulled the other head and valvetrain parts. removed the camshaft and inspected bearings. Unfortunately it appears my bearings are toast. Any in-truck solutions to fix this? Is it possible to replace the bearings with the engine in the truck? Seems like it would be a PITA.

Video update here:

Status

That is the worst cam bearing i've ever seen looks like install damage to begin with. Makes me a little nervous to hit the NOS button on my 160000 mile engine lol
    Last edited by Wideopen; 01-27-2020 at 03:36 AM. Reason: add on

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Wideopen View Post
    That is the worst cam bearing i've ever seen looks like install damage to begin with.
    Lol! Figures Its pretty fugly that's for sure. Who knows how it ended up like that...strangely enough the camshaft still spins nice and smooth, and that matching journal looks clean no scoring

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Wideopen View Post
    ... Makes me a little nervous to hit the NOS button on my 160000 mile engine lol
    Lol spray N pray

Status

There not much left to pulling that engine and well worth the investment to get everything aligned honed if anything but a piece of mind that your engine will last another 100000 miles sorry but some of that bearing material could be in the bottom end and it may look just as bad. They do make tools for bearing install with engine in the truck i dont have the part no. off hand.

Status

Wideopen, yes I agree at this point it's smart to push further and get it all rebuilt. I had a nice chat with Flyin Ryan last night to go over some ideas on a build. In my head I've been toying with the idea of going the stroker route...however after talking it through I'll likely stick with a stockish rebuild in the interest of time and using the parts I currently have available. For example If I went stroker route Id likely need a 4bbl M1, currently running 2bbl M1. With the heads and cam I got I can still build something pretty respectable for the street with keeping it a 360 build

Status

Well...I gues this has turned into a full out build thread
    Last edited by JDreamR/T; 01-31-2020 at 05:29 PM. Reason: Fixed photo

Status

Hmmm... Well, that snowballed quickly. LOL While looking at parts, plug in the part numbers at cncmotorsports.com . I bought some of my big parts from them. Rods, pistons, head studs, they saved me a bunch. SRP pistons with -.5 cc valve reliefs, .002 to zero deck will get you 10:6 - 10:8 to 1 compression on a .030 over 360.
    99 DA CC R/T
    12.96 @103
    R/T ported heads

At 1.65 installed height and .578 lift cam, you will coil bind...
    2000 Dakota, 5.9, 6lb Powerdyne, 13.33@106

Status

OK so I've been spending the past few weeks driving myself a bit insane looking up various piston and rod combos, playing with online compression calculators, reading up on some engine theory, reading through some old builds here on the forum, pricing things out and going back and forth with my engine machinist...

So after driving myself crazy, I came to the conclusion on going all out stroker build with a forged SCAT 408 kit, I-beams, and ICON FHR IC9977 23cc dish 4032 forged pistons.

aaaand I might also have a 4bbl M1 on the way, along with a TKO600 5-Speed to sit behind the N/A beast because Y.O.R.T.O. (you only race truck once)

To say this project escalated quickly is an understatement, but I'm really motivated and have been dreaming quite a long time to take up this particular challenge! I always promised myself that when the time comes the motor needed to be yanked I'd do it all at once, so here I am! LOL

That said, of course now I might need to reconsider my nicely rebuilt heads, setup with the 1.65" tall springs. Depending on my new cam selection I could be pushing the limits. Just sucks if that's the case since I literally had ordered in +.100" valves only to return them to keep things stock height. If I only knew...

Well I suppose that about wraps things up as far as the R/T heads' rebuild goes, at least until I get them bolted back up and checked out with pushrod clearances. Curious to see how my trick intake port pushrod tubes work with the swept motion of pushrod travel...

Until then I'm going to start a new thread under the "Builds and Jackstand Queens" section See ya there!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3