+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 2000 Dakota not starting

Status

Default 2000 Dakota not starting

So am GM guy was talking to me about my Dakota rt not starting and asked if I’ve had the battery disconnected for a long period of time that it might fry the pcm. Anyone hear anything like that?

Home School Valedictorian

Status

I've never heard anything of the sort.

"Excuse me if I have some place in my mind, where I go time to time"

Quote Originally Posted by Thebandit343 View Post
    So am GM guy was talking to me about my Dakota rt not starting and asked if I’ve had the battery disconnected for a long period of time that it might fry the pcm. Anyone hear anything like that?
    No current can fry things? Seems the opposite is true. Perhaps some problems may arise when one reconnects and is blamed on a long term non connection. I've seen bad alternators fry things like sensors such as a map sensor or tps. Vehicle won't start either. You getting any key turn codes?

Status

Not me , Dodges are tough , check the basics
    Fuel pressure, spark first . Worst case tow it to the dealer and say fix it .good luck and report back

Status

So here is what I have. The truck cranks, has spark at coil and cylinders, hear fuel pump kick on and have fuel at rails. I’ve changed plugs, wires, cap, rotor, cam sensor, crank sensor, pcm, relays, checked all grounds, and changed the coil. No injector pulse. I went as far as grounding the fuel rail to the body. Nada. Just cranks.

Status

Check the tps?

I just went thru this on my f150. Same exact symptoms. Found that the tps was stuck nearly wide open putting the ecm in flood mode. Replaced the tps and she fired right up.

Cheez you threw a lot of money at this. Try a new map sensor and if that doesn't fix it, as niebs says. I as well went through this only with a hemi Durango. The drive by wire tps isn't cheap on these. On a hunch with the "rich code" of 0175 and 0172 and no lightning bolt light showing for a bad tps, I threw in a Mopar map sensor and voila.

Status

Well I finally figured it out thanks to an original service manual. I was reading about the vehicle security system that I didn’t think a 2000 had. In the very first paragraph it said that it runs through the door lock actuators. Well that fuse was blown. Replaced it and it fired up!!!! So I paid $400 for a fuse. I’m looking at the positive in all this now. At least I have all new sensors on the motor and a spare pcm. Lessons learned.

+ Reply to Thread