+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Dakrt56

DAKRT56

Status

Default Dakrt56

So, rewind to about October of 2013. A friend of mine has a bad habit of browsing Craigslist and finding things for me to buy. He finds a '99 Flame Red RC R/T with some engine work, full Hotchkis, and one major selling point; a T56 swap already done. And, it's only about 3 hours away from me.

Naturally, being a Dakota R/T fanatic for a majority of my life thus far, I have to contact the seller. When I first started texting him back in October 2013, the truck had an issue where the clutch didn't work properly so I would have to trailer it home, and he wanted $7500 for it. I believe the master cylinder for the clutch ended up being the culprit. Meh, can't really swing that price right now anyway for something I don't really need, and that needs work to even be driveable. We go back and forth for literally months and he keeps dropping his price, keeps trying to throw in stuff, etc. Still a "no" on my end.

May 2014 rolls around. He texts me and says clutch is fixed, truck has current registration, and he had just bought a new truck so he needed the R/T gone. He said show up with $5k and drive it home. So the following weekend, I did just that.

Here it is a day or two after I got it home:

So let's talk about the stuff that either sucked or was just plain wrong with it when I first got it...

- Clutch fan had been removed and replaced it with two absolutely useless 12" electric fans that pulled a total of about 47cfm combined. It would consistently get hot even just cruising around town.
    - It had Edelbrock shorty headers that looked to have had various cracks welded up two to three different times.
    - It had a vibration from about 2200-3000 rpm. Claimed it was the trans rubbing on the cab and had wedged some dense foam between the trans and the cab. Brian Whiteley (BLKDAK) contacted me and let me know it was because he had put the T56 in with a 318 flywheel, obviously a no-go on an externally-balanced 360.
    - It had no rear bumper or roll pan on it. Not a big deal, just looked unfinished.
    - The Bilstein shocks in the rear had been replaced with air shocks. Needless to say, I put the Bilsteins back in it.
    - Stickers galore. Those are all gone now.
    - "Racing" seats that didn't move in their tracks because they weren't permanently mounted yet. This is a problem for me as I'm 5'6" and need my seats to move. Luckily, the truck came with the factory seats, so those went back in almost immediately.
    - It had some monster truck looking all-terrain tires on it, as you can see in the above picture. I had recently gotten rid of my beater '96 Dakota that I had a set of R/T wheels on, so I took the 255/50 Riken Raptors off of that and put those on this truck.
    - It had some cheap junk slotted/drilled rotors on it that were shot.
    - It was missing about half the valve cover bolts, the gaskets were crap, and the few bolts that were left in the VCs weren't even tight.
    - Front wheel bearings were noisy.

Fortunately, it wasn't all bad. Here are some good things about the truck:

- Front end had all recently been gone through with Moog parts
    - I may be in Minnesota, but this is a clean truck. I don't believe it ever got driven in the winter.
    - Did I mention it's T56 swapped? Plus it has a '70 B-body Pistol Grip shifter for extra cool factor.
    - 52mm F&B
    - 2bbl M1
    - Mopar aluminum heads (P4532900, basically Small Port Commando heads machined for Magnum application from what I've read)
    - Comp cam (CRS264HR-12). Baby cam. I believe this is also known as the 210x.
    - Full Hotchkis TVS
    - Nice fiberglass tonneau cover. Fibernetics Aerosport.

Here's a pic of it from right after I washed it for storage last winter:

And a pic of what could be considered the best part of the truck:

Last edited by chrgr340; 05-20-2020 at 01:13 PM.

Steve - 1999 Flame Red RC R/T-56
    Comp Cams | F&B | Mopar | Spintech | SCT | Hotchkis

DAKRT56

Status

Here's the stuff I've gotten done on the truck so far:

- Had Gerko Enterprises (Per Filthy Filbert Tom's recommendation) machine me the correct flywheel for the 360 and got that swapped in.
    - Replaced the shitty Edelbrock headers and single dumped exhaust for Spintech mids & side exit.
    - Installed new valve cover gaskets with stainless sockethead capscrews to dress it up a bit.
    - Reinstalled factory seats.
    - Put on a more proper sized set of tires.
    - Reinstalled the Bilsteins in the rear.
    - Replaced junk front rotors.
    - Replaced both brake calipers.
    - Replaced both front wheel bearings.
    - Disassembled the 52mm F&B and got it to quit sticking.
    - Installed PIE fan/shroud. This replaced my Viper fan, which had originally replaced the two useless little fans that were on it when I bought it.
    - Installed new passenger side airbag.
    - Installed freshly powdercoated accessory bracket (original one was cracked).
    - Relocated wideband gauge to the pillar.
    - Replaced front and rear swaybar bushings.
    - Installed new output shaft seal in trans.
    - Installed full set of Remflex gaskets.
    - Replaced K&N FIPK that was missing parts with a 14x3 air cleaner.
    - Installed factory manual filler plate where the shift indicator was in the gauge cluster.
    - Installed manual trans. column shrouds.
    - Installed Canton billet oil filter plate.
    - Painted and installed factory style bumper in place of Street Scene one, as I prefer stock.
    - Painted and installed roll pan.
    - Replaced damaged front fender liners.

Pics just because:

Last edited by chrgr340; 06-22-2018 at 01:40 PM.

DAKRT56

Status

Here's the stuff I have left to do:

- Install battery cutoff switch and possibly some remote battery terminals.
    - Get a fresh tune from Flyin Ryan.
    Last edited by chrgr340; 06-22-2018 at 01:37 PM.

DRTC Member #1146

Status

Looks killer man!

2002 Flame Red RC R/T
    272 RWHP 315 ft/lb TQ
    218/226 Comp Cam, Stage 1 Ported EQ Heads, PRW 1.6 Roller Rockers, PIE Custom Tune, Full spintech exhaust with 3" side exit, 52mm Holley, Ported Kegger, Viper E-Fan, Powerdemon Trans, Hotchkis Springs, Leafs and Sway Bars, R/T 20's, Gen 3 viper seats, Custom "Rejected" State Inspection Sticker
    Plenty More to come

Status

Sweet deal! Can't beat a T-56 truck for cheap.
    - Josh

2000 Solar Yellow R/T - Cam Only Truck
    1987 Buick Regal T-Type - WE4 and Blackout
    2008 GMC 1500 Quad Cab
    1989 Jeep YJ - Real Jeeps have Square Headlights
    1971 Buick Skylark - LS SWAP THE WORLD

Status

Looks good! I'd love to have a T56 swap in mine.
    2004 SRT4 Moar Pah Coming DD
    2002 Dakota R/T 12.376@110.84

"Is there any way to make this easier? I'm way confused now. I just tried to post a video, but instead I got my dick caught in the ceiling fan" Wyotech_Cuda440

DRTC #149

Status

What ever happened to that 318 flywheel?

Nice find, and good job on getting all the bugs worked out. Its a real feeling of accomplishment when you get that much fixed!

99 DA RC To Be Discovered AKA Smokey
    98 DA CC 11.59@118 AKA Barney

[Duner] : I was afraid I was going to go too fast and scare myself. Lucky for me - the DA rose up to save me.

[Kotta390] : Oh that's right! Well FML.....Looks like I am getting shafted because of my bore size

[BlakDak71] : I don't run oil, I run a special blend consisting of Hellman's mayo and the tears of a pregnant mermaid

[Kotta390] : My electric water pump puts out too much fuel at idle and is not a variable pump which makes it overheat in the summer at idle if I sit too long

[KotaRT] : Ed, you can have cake, as long as I get something in return

DAKRT56

Status

For sure. With every little thing I get done on it, I feel like I can enjoy it that much more.

I'm going to keep the 318 flywheel in case I ever decide to build an internally balanced stroker or something down the road.

DRTC #149

Status

Quote Originally Posted by chrgr340 View Post
    For sure. With every little thing I get done on it, I feel like I can enjoy it that much more.

I'm going to keep the 318 flywheel in case I ever decide to build an internally balanced stroker or something down the road.

99 DA RC To Be Discovered AKA Smokey
    98 DA CC 11.59@118 AKA Barney

[Duner] : I was afraid I was going to go too fast and scare myself. Lucky for me - the DA rose up to save me.

[Kotta390] : Oh that's right! Well FML.....Looks like I am getting shafted because of my bore size

[BlakDak71] : I don't run oil, I run a special blend consisting of Hellman's mayo and the tears of a pregnant mermaid

[Kotta390] : My electric water pump puts out too much fuel at idle and is not a variable pump which makes it overheat in the summer at idle if I sit too long

[KotaRT] : Ed, you can have cake, as long as I get something in return

Yeah, that confused me. I had all that T-56 stuff on my 318 and sold it to the guy you bought the truck off of. I don't know why he thought he could use that flywheel on the stock bottom end 360. He wasn't happy with the deal, there is a thread somewhere on here about it. He got a heck of a deal, though.

For a cleaner install, find the factory 5-speed interior floor piece. Here is what your T-56 looked like in my old truck.

I like free kittens

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    Yeah, that confused me. I had all that T-56 stuff on my 318 and sold it to the guy you bought the truck off of. I don't know why he thought he could use that flywheel on the stock bottom end 360. He wasn't happy with the deal, there is a thread somewhere on here about it. He got a heck of a deal, though.

And we told him repeatedly on here "DO NOT RUN THE NEUTRAL BALANCE FLYWHEEL FROM THE 318 BEHIND A STOCK CAST CRANK 360!!"

but that fool knew more than we did, cause he had the factory manuals and worked at a dealer or something. I remember him also asking us what fluid to run in that gearbox, and then arguing with us because he had the manual.

FYI...multiple lubes are compatible with that gearbox. Dodge was using a castrol syncromesh lube. After reading thread after thread on various viper and LS forums, guys arguing to only use Castrol or the trans will gernade, others arguing that ATF 3 was the only option. Some guys liked the Penzoil syncromesh, others wanted the GM stuff. A few were running royal purple...

I couldn't make heads from tails with all the internet gibberish, so I said eff-it. I called Tremec. You know, those guys who built the transmission. They said to run ATF 3, and stop worrying about it.

Also, I like to fill mine through the shifter at the top, it allows me to add an extra quart of fluid (5 total). I heard on the interwebz that the extra fluid helps reduce the noise these things like to make, especially at idle, as well as aid in cooling and provides extra lube to those critical areas.
    --Tom
    **Photobucket can suck my nut**

I'm a douchebag

I like free kittens

Status

And thanks Patrick...reminding me I need to go vacuum out the inside of my truck!

...and polish those damn CCWs again
    --Tom

I'm a douchebag

I like free kittens

Status

Quote Originally Posted by chrgr340 View Post
    This truck would look awesome parked next to mine!

--Tom

I'm a douchebag

DAKRT56

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Filthy Filbert View Post
    This truck would look awesome parked next to mine!

Lol, yes it would.

Thanks for the pointer on filling through the shifter. I ended up draining the gear oil or whatever he had in it when I did the flywheel and replacing it with ATF 3. Seems to shift a little better now.

DAKRT56

Status

Updated the third post with my to-do list. Man, it seems like it gets longer every time I think about the stupid thing...

DAKRT56

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    You mean this thread? http://www.dakotart.com/forum/showth...o-99-dakota-rt

I'll admit, I lol'd at a few of his posts. I hate to trash talk him in case he ever comes back on here and sees this thread as I still maintain friendly contact with him, but man, was some of the stuff on this truck cobbed as shit. And for being the self-proclaimed Mopar guy he is, you'd think he'd be fully aware that 318 & 360 flywheels don't exactly interchange.

Yes, that's the thread.

I like free kittens

Status

Here's a picture of my dash cluster, in reference to your wanted ad.

note how the cluster is identical to the autos, but it has a plastic plug to block the shifter indicator.

I added a "sticker" to mine as I thought it was a cool place to put one. I may try to go to the scrap yards again soon and if I do, I'll try to snag that piece for you. There's usually at least 1 V6 stick shift in the yard when I'm there

--Tom

I'm a douchebag

Sorry to step in on your thread but I'm looking at a future trans replacement and the T-56 has got my interest. Can anyone give me a rundown of what parts and mods would be needed to do this? I've found listings for T-56's on ebay for different vehicles, is there any certain one that I need or will any work? What would be a good donor vehicle to look for?

DAKRT56

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Filthy Filbert View Post
    I may try to go to the scrap yards again soon and if I do, I'll try to snag that piece for you. There's usually at least 1 V6 stick shift in the yard when I'm there
    That'd be awesome! Thanks Tom

Quote Originally Posted by DreadPirateBanjo View Post
    Sorry to step in on your thread but I'm looking at a future trans replacement and the T-56 has got my interest. Can anyone give me a rundown of what parts and mods would be needed to do this? I've found listings for T-56's on ebay for different vehicles, is there any certain one that I need or will any work? What would be a good donor vehicle to look for?
    Your best bet would be to look over these couple threads. I think they will answer most, if not all, of your questions.

http://www.dakotart.com/forum/showth...-in-dakota-%29

http://www.dakotart.com/forum/showth...n-depth-how-to

Thanks. I found the links after I posted. Guess I should have looked first. After reading the first link I'm thinking maybe TKO instead. I guess it's basically the same steps to install ?

gen III traitor

Status

I don't know what 318 flywheel you have but you will probably be better off neutrally balancing the gerko one.

Quote Originally Posted by BluRT00 View Post
    Part your red sport out and buy a gen 2. Problem solved.

DAKRT56

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Sick 660r View Post
    I don't know what 318 flywheel you have but you will probably be better off neutrally balancing the gerko one.
    From another thread (this post to be exact: http://www.dakotart.com/forum/showth...l=1#post281557), I'm led to believe it was a stock 143 tooth flywheel which was turned down on a lathe and had a 130 tooth ring gear pressed onto it.

I like free kittens

Status

He has a neutral balance flywheel. the 5.9 is stock bottom end and needs to be balanced to stock 5.9 specs.

the gerko piece starts out neutral balance then they drill it to match the 5.9 specs.
    --Tom

I'm a douchebag

gen III traitor

Status

From what I understand, he said he had a 318 flywheel that he may consider using on another build (internally balance). I'm simply suggesting that it may be better to balance the gerko flywheel again because it may be better quality

Quote Originally Posted by BluRT00 View Post
    Part your red sport out and buy a gen 2. Problem solved.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast