+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Problems from bad PCM

Hybrid View

Status

Unhappy Problems from bad PCM

Hi Guys. I hope you can help me. I have a 2002 Dakota RT 5.9 95,000 miles with some issues. A couple weeks ago I started my truck at work. It was idling fine and then it shut off. It wouldn’t start again. “No Bus” came on the dash along with “check gauges”, gas light, and check engine. DTE mileage overhead went blank as well. Called a mechanic to check it out. He found no communication with the PCM. He tried two PCMs he had on hand. One was from a dodge van and the other a Dodge Ram pickup. Both started the truck, but still “No bus”, etc. The PCM that was in when I bought the tuck was from AutoModuleSourcd. I ordered a PCM from CarComputerExchange.com with my VIN and mileage. When I turn the ignition on, there is loud ticking from the relay center, and I think from the fuel pump too. I tried checking if the relays were bad by switching them but still has ticking. Truck still won’t start. Was I ripped off or could it be something simple as a sensor? Thanks for any help.
    Last edited by Spawn; 12-15-2018 at 04:33 PM. Reason: Forgot to include mileage

First off. Take off your battery terminals and clean them as well as the posts.. This doesn't always mean a bad computer. "Bus" is simply a computer term basically meaning "communication" or "control signal path". The trouble with this catch all is that the problem can be occurring anywhere along the communication line such as wiring harness, faulty snap connections and bad grounds and as I previously alluded, the battery connection. Do this first. If it's still not running, look under the dash and you'll see a wire connected to a ground with an o-ring terminal. Make sure this connection is good. Check to make sure all of your snap connections are good and lastly, check your wiring harness coming out of the computer to make sure no rot is taking place within the wiring itself.
    CarComputer exchange has numerous bad ratings with the Better Business Bureau.

Status

I cleaned the battery terminals. There was some buildup developing. All grounds look fine and all snapp connections were not loose. I was told it looks like the dealership is the only place a reprogram of the pcm can be done. But I already tried cranking it over with the new pcm. Dealership said they need the truck to do the flash. Probably gonna have it towed on Monday.

Quote Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
    I cleaned the battery terminals. There was some buildup developing. All grounds look fine and all snapp connections were not loose. I was told it looks like the dealership is the only place a reprogram of the pcm can be done. But I already tried cranking it over with the new pcm. Dealership said they need the truck to do the flash. Probably gonna have it towed on Monday.
    Hope you cleaned terminal connectors as well as the posts. What happens when you try to start it? Anything or completely dead or still just the clicking? You getting interior lights on? Have you tried jumping it? Possible ignition switch or shifter position? Jiggle key while turning if completely dead and put it in neutral if not starting in park. Any other functions work with ignition switch like power off-on? Sorry to be obvious and not meaning arrogance but I don't know what you've tried already. Try starting it again with a jump.

I once replaced the ecm on a 95 Dakota and all I got was a "hum" from the fuel pump. A jump at least made the thing turn over.
    I assume you looked into cam position and crank sensors as well as battery condition?

Status

Quote Originally Posted by arro222 View Post
    Hope you cleaned terminal connectors as well as the posts. What happens when you try to start it? Anything or completely dead or still just the clicking? You getting interior lights on? Have you tried jumping it? Possible ignition switch or shifter position? Jiggle key while turning if completely dead and put it in neutral if not starting in park. Any other functions work with ignition switch like power off-on? Sorry to be obvious and not meaning arrogance but I don't know what you've tried already. Try starting it again with a jump.

I once replaced the ecm on a 95 Dakota and all I got was a "hum" from the fuel pump. A jump at least made the thing turn over.
    I assume you looked into cam position and crank sensors as well as battery condition?
    All interior electronics work except gauges and the ‘No Bus’ reading on the odometer. At first I assumed it was a crank sensor but when 2 different, non-Dakota PCMs turned the truck on, I assumed it was the PCM that died. The PCM that died was not an original Moapr PCM. I bought the truck used and the PCM that came with it was from Auto Module Source. I have now learned that I need to know what the OEM part number for the PCM that came with my VIN is needed. CarComputerExchange did not ask me that. I have changed my mind on going to the dealer after reading the horror stories. I have emailed Mopar to give me the PCM part number that came with my VIN. FS1 Inc is the store I am looking towards as of now.

It is not completely dead. It cranks over but does not start. I am afraid of doing that too much in fear of draining the battery.

Status

wasnt there a tsb on a ground point corroding causing these faults?

Status

Quote Originally Posted by niebs View Post
    wasnt there a tsb on a ground point corroding causing these faults?
    I have also read it is corrosion under the Fuse Relay Center. But when those PCMs started the truck I didn’t think it was corrosion of any kind. Now with this, what I’m guessing is a bad pcm, the ASD relay clicks very loudly.

Status

I would be calling the company and telling them their pcm didn't work. Try to get them to send out another one. You can also look here once you get your pcm number from Chrysler. http://car-part.com/
    99 DA CC R/T
    13.97@100 w/modded kegger & ported TB
    12.96 @103
    10:8-1 .30 over forged bottom end
    R/T ported heads
    Detroit locker 4:56 gears
    Built 46RE MSaine 3500 stall Ultra Billet
    http://imgur.com/a/lOVuZ

Status

I'm surprised they even sold you a pcm without the oem #
    1999 R/C Solar yellow

Status

Part # I got from dealership is 56040314AC. On Car-Part.com there are only PCMs for 5.9 4X4s. Can one of these work in a R/T?

Status

Wow, nothin' but crickets... No a 4x4 pcm won't work. Do you use facebook? You might put WTB ad on the for sale site.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/DakotaRTpartsPage/
    99 DA CC R/T
    13.97@100 w/modded kegger & ported TB
    12.96 @103
    10:8-1 .30 over forged bottom end
    R/T ported heads
    Detroit locker 4:56 gears
    Built 46RE MSaine 3500 stall Ultra Billet
    http://imgur.com/a/lOVuZ

Status

Anyone heard of dodgepcmdirect.com?

Status

Ok guys. I know this is an old thread but I got the problem resolved. I sent the dud pcm it SoloPcms down in Florida. They were outstanding. They called me and left a voicemail about the problems. They fixed it before I returned the phone call. I paid them, and they shipped it right away. Truck started right up and no check engine light. It’s been a sigh of relief to see my truck start up after two months of being dead. I honestly shead a tear. Thanks so much SoloPcms!!

Home School Valedictorian

Status

Congrats on finding a source to repair your PCM, and the good luck they were great to work with.

Thanks for the update also, I have bookmarked them in case I end up needing service.

"Excuse me if I have some place in my mind, where I go time to time"

Status

What did they find wrong?

Status

Quote Originally Posted by niebs View Post
    What did they find wrong?
    According to my receipt, “replaced power supply, cam and crank synchronization ic and retraced bad memory

Accumulating parts...

Status

Glad you got it fixed, good find on a source too.
    12.10@106@Famoso Raceway

+ Reply to Thread