+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 440 dakota's ??

Default 440 dakota's ??

I was curious about a couple things about doing an old big block swap. I know a few guys have dropped in an old 440 in there trucks and I was wonder about if any of them have gone EFI or carb with them?
    What Tranny there running with them?
    And Over all headaches they had swapping em?
    IF IT AINT RED LEAVE'R IN THE SHED
    @.50 212/218 480/480
    eddie heads
    harlin shap r.r.
    shorties headers with true duals and 3" dump tubes
    M1
    2500 stall
    456's
    Nitrous(in the works)
    53 TB with spacer/nitrous plate

Supporting Vendor

Status

Schumacher Creative Services used to make a kit for it but discontinued them due to a lack of sales. I have picked up a 440 engine and 727 trans that I intend to use for mock-up in order to make a motor mount kit from. However, I have to finish the upper control arms I am currently working on first. I plan to work on it over the winter. Schumacher mentions to use the smaller diameter 1999-2004 power brake booster and HiPoTek already has an adapter kit for that for the 1997-1998 Dakota that came with the larger diameter power brake booster. http://stores.hi-potek.com/hipotek-d...ter-1997-1998/

"Bleach Master"

Status

Look through the build threads forum and look for Tom Filbert's 440 swap Dakota, in all honesty it isn't worth it unless you just absolutely want a 440 swap Dakota. The price to performance over a built 360/408 isn't even close and in my opinion better off doing a built small block for a fun street/strip truck.
    This signature has been deleted thanks to photobucket!

Supporting Vendor

Status

I am not an expert with the big block RB motors but at a quick glance it appears you can get more hp out of a 440 for around the same cost or less as a magnum engine. The draw back is the weight of the engine as the 440 is heavier. In the book: How to Build Max-Performance MOPAR BIG-BLOCKS by Andy Finkbeiner, he states that: “A 600-hp big-block Mopar can be built for as little as $5000 by using used parts and cutting corners…” That 600hp can be had with stock heads, etc.

Last year I received a number of calls inquiring about a 440 motor mount kit for the ’97-04 Dakota as well as for the ’87-96 Dakota. Past experience has shown me that actual sales of an item is way below the interest shown by people initially, but I figured I’d give it a shot anyway. Again, the main draw back for me is the weight of the engine but it appears you can get some decent hp out of the 440 somewhat economically. 700 + HP gets into some money but so will a magnum. As stated by Andy Finkbeiner, “A large displacement engine typically produces horsepower at a lower RPM than a smaller engine. Hence, a larger-displacement engine allows builders to achieve a specific power output goal, and do it more affordably.”

Tom Filbert did a 440 swap before any motor mount kits were available so as mentioned by slammed, do a search for his past posts.

GPz550 Addict

Status

Not that I am interested, but I didn't see, hear him say any best times, just heard numerous times, "ready to go."
    DRTC #1176

2000 Bright White CC (1/553)
    Dyno'ed 07/05/13 (126,000 Miles) 230 Hp / 308 Tq
    14.6 @ 93 mph (2.18 60 ft.), 4130 lbs.(1/2 tank gas)
    Truck Pictures --> http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v9...Clough/Dakota/

1985 Kawasaki GPz550
    2003 SV650S (Race)
    1973 W100 Powerwagon

Mater: I don’t need to know where I’m goin’, I just need to know where I been!

Status

I would just build a stout 408, it takes a pretty strong/stroked big block to beat me at the track, I'm always popping my hood to prove it's just a NA small block Mopar.
    11.27 @ 118.23
    2017 NM Mopar Challenge Series Champion

ASE Certified Tech

Status

I’m still working on mine. I used the Schumacher kit, and I’m going carb with a built 727.
    '03 R/T CC - 1969 440 - 0.040" over, 10.73:1 static
    Forged crank | Molnar billet rods | Diamond Racing forged pistons | Fluidampr | Meziere 35gpm | Performer RPM | Brawler 750cfm | Whiplash cam | Aeromotive 90gph | MSD HVC

+ Reply to Thread