+ Reply to Thread

Thread: cat removal question?

Default cat removal question?

I have a magnaflow direct replacement catalatic converter on my truck . what will happen if i remove/cut the honey comb of my cat and weld in a piece of borla straight pipe . is it possible to leave my o2 sensors in place just where they sits one upstream in the y pipe and one behind the honey comb from the cat . will i get troubles like engine codes and will my sound be nicer or will it sound like crap . i have gibson headers,jba y pipe, magnaflow cat ,and borla catback exhaust . will i have more benefits by removing the cat sound wise and drivebality or is it not worthy. i just want to let my truck sound a little meaner i really think the cat is muffling my borla catback . i was wondering if most of the members are driving with cat or without cat on our trucks and does the truck sounds nicer with cat or without cat . thanks

Status

Most of us here don’t run cats, I have 3” exhaust from the Hooker long tubes back , 1-O2 in each bank of the headers , the 2nd one on the passenger side, well mine anyway , has an O2 simm, most guys here have issues with them, most guys just tie that one to the frame away from moisture!

Quote Originally Posted by blackknight View Post
    Most of us here don’t run cats, I have 3” exhaust from the Hooker long tubes back , 1-O2 in each bank of the headers , the 2nd one on the passenger side, well mine anyway , has an O2 simm, most guys here have issues with them, most guys just tie that one to the frame away from moisture!
    Thanks , is it possible to put the 02 sensor thats sits behind the honey comb back in the bung or will that give me more troubles with engine codes? also i have a 99 durango i have one 02 sensor in the y pipe and 1 o2 sensor behind the honey comb of my cat .

Black Pearl

Status

They say the O2 sensor after the cat can be wrapped to protect, then hung over the frame and not trip any codes. It may be year specific. Perhaps someone who knows will chime in to verify.
    Last edited by ScojoDak; 11-19-2018 at 09:05 PM. Reason: typo
    If you haven't lived for something, you'll die for nothing.

Home School Valedictorian

Status

The post cat O2 sensor has to "see" a difference from the front sensor. If you re-install it, it will see the same as the precat O2. Zip-tie it to the frame rail.

"Excuse me if I have some place in my mind, where I go time to time"

I agree. Did that 5 years ago . Passed Arizona and California emissions

+ Reply to Thread