+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Is there only 3 brands of 255/55/17 tires made?

Status

Default Is there only 3 brands of 255/55/17 tires made?

I'm going to buy new tires on my 99 when I get the front end bushings redone in urethane. It's almost time. Been buying what I can when I can to complete the front end parts list so it takes some time. It's still doing good. I'm driving it a little every week but I don't like to push it since the tires are pretty old. Right now the Continental Vanco 255/55/17's are on there with good tread but I think they are over 10 years old at least. I'm seeing only 3 brands pop up for 255/55/17 Federal, Bridgestone and Pirelli. I still see some Continental new old stock still for sale but I'm sure they are too old to put on. I even see 1 new Goodyear Eagle RSA on ebay now so I bet that's like almost 20 years old. I see the Federal tires from Taiwan are the most affordable and Pirelli the most expensive. Is there anymore brands I'm not seeing that are out there? I know everyone said stay with 255/55/17's so how is the Federal's vs. the Bridgestones? Which one is closest to the RSA's? I like the factory wheels so I don't want to change them.

CAUSEDODGEPATTERNBALDNESS

Status

Nittos in 275/50 are what I went with, roughly the same height so speedo issues aren't a problem and they're easy to get while also being wider.

Status

Do you think something a littler more narrow would affect the speedometer much? Like 235 55 17? I think that's 20mm narrower but the same height. They seem to be a little more available here.

I have the nitro tires also .Tip at tire buyer . Com gave a great price.
    The NEW federal 505 replacements are supposed to be good but never seem to be in the country so ya have to wait. Going with less rubber on the ground might get sketchy.

Status

I have the pirelli on my 2000 , and they are good
    My 98 has federals you can get them on eBay delivered for $88
    V speed rating. Tires and brakes are important to me so I will probably replace with pirelli

CAUSEDODGEPATTERNBALDNESS

Status

Quote Originally Posted by wh23g3g View Post
    Do you think something a littler more narrow would affect the speedometer much? Like 235 55 17? I think that's 20mm narrower but the same height. They seem to be a little more available here.
    Width doesn't effect the speedometer readout, only height. That being said, a 235/55-17 is over .8" shorter than the 255/55-17 and the speedo is definitely going to be off there and you'd lessen traction at the same time. Go one one of the three 255/55s or get a set of Nittos, don't go smaller.

Status

265 55 17 There are a lot of choices , only 1 size wider than stock, you have to see if they rub in the front

I agree with nitroram33. The speedometer doesn't care about the width. The tire height/diameter is what you need to consider.

The nitto tires are a decent choice. They are not too pricey also.

+ Reply to Thread