+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 46re/46rh When you broke it, what did you break?

Status

Default 46re/46rh When you broke it, what did you break?

Just curious on what the weak parts are? Wanted some one who blew one up that could confirm what went a-bomb internally. My trans oil is looking pretty bad almost like a motor oil. So if I’m going in and cleaning out and replacing frictions and steels. What else am I to consider while I’m in there.

I want to hear a real answer of what went kaboom in your trans.

Thanks

"Bleach Master"

Status

Easy answer here

R E B U I L D ! ! !

you're welcome
    This signature has been deleted thanks to photobucket!

Status

Heat is the #1 killer of clutches and will break down the trans fluid quick....

Do you drive in alot of stop and go traffic?
    Do you tow alot?
    Do you drive the truck hard...... alot?
    Has the maintenance schedule been followed with band adjustments, filter change, fluid change?
    Burnouts?
    Using manual 1st gear with stock valve body under full throttle? (Big No-No)

With heat comes the breaking down of the friction materials causing loose tolerances and more heat and..... well you get the picture.... and then you get tons of tiny friction material particles and steel particles in the fluid and all of the orfices of the valve body.... It's a viscious cycle. Aside from heat causing tons of wear and killing the trans fluid, The most common things that fail and break inside of these transmissions from what I have seen personally and read from other members and Dakota owners are #1 the reverse servo as they are only cast aluminum.... When this breaks you will no longer have reverse. I also see alot of dropped band struts / anchors from going too long between band adjustments along with the second gear band wearing out completely and chewing up the drum. When this happens say goodbye to second gear. Ive also seen the lockup retaining clip fail where the spring and valve get ejected out of the valve body and into the pan. Pull the pan and see what you have! post some pics when you do! Hope this little tid-bit of info helps!

Vortech V-3, 52mm TB, EQ Heads, "R/T" Cam, MSaine VB, 2800 Stall, HS 1.7's, 11.6 @ 119 in 1/4

Supporting Vendor

Status

Mine had a cracked OEM cast aluminum reverse servo. I replaced it with a steel Sonnax unit. https://www.sonnax.com/parts/1855-re...iston-plug-kit

Status

I just bought the truck so I have no history.

I plan on beating on it as a small treet truck. It has a 46rh not the RE same intervals though

The piston cracking has been a known problem since it was a 727. Thank you for a verified breakage.

Anybody spun/destoyed the 14 roller sprag? 3/4 pinion plentary sets.

I put me up a craigslist as today for a 46 re/rh core that is no good just for disassembly purposes hopefully someone will answer. Btw I’m in N.C. if someone wants to donate to the cause

All the trash talk from the ford/Chevy guys about dodge transmissions I really thought I would here more verified failures.

Yes heat destroys everything made of metal. It’s getting a rebuild / overhaul as mentioned but I was just curious if there was a common symptom of failure.

you can also put in a updated overdrive snapring , Sonnax 3-4 accumulator spring in the valve bodie ,Accumulator piston instead of the oem plastic ,Sonnax piston retainer kit sonnax kickdown bandstrut and maybe red eagle clutches . i have rebuild my transmission and its a big difference now its shifts quick and chirps the tires everytime to second gear and i use atf4 from mopar . i also have the sonnax front servo and superior rear servo, band anchors, kevlar bands, 4.2 ratio band lever . you can also remove your check valve in the line mine is a 46RE not a 46RH but i think the rh is hydraulic and the re is electronic

GPz550 Addict

Status

Broke my bank . . . almost. I was in a pinch when my 2nd gear went out, and didn't have time for a Martin Saine unit, so I had a local shop replace my bone-stock unit with a rebuild from Jasper. $3000.00 later I am now replacing the stock torque converter to 2800, and having Martin Saine modify my spare valve body, so the price of that trans is even more. Arrrgh!!!

I say do it once, and do it right.
    DRTC #1176

2000 Bright White CC (1/553)
    Dyno'ed 07/05/13 (126,000 Miles) 230 Hp / 308 Tq
    14.6 @ 93 mph (2.18 60 ft.), 4130 lbs.(1/2 tank gas)
    Truck Pictures --> http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v9...Clough/Dakota/

1985 Kawasaki GPz550
    2003 SV650S (Race)
    1973 W100 Powerwagon

Mater: I don’t need to know where I’m goin’, I just need to know where I been!

Status

Tore it down earlier today. Front band is a little worn rear band is like new. Friction and steels are not bad. Rear OD piston retainer and reverse drum has some wear. I honestly don’t know where this black oil is from. It’s been rebuilt before.

I know I’m going with the transgo kit. That is what I had in my Dakota r/t.
    3.8 lockdown lever
    New front band
    Upgraded band strut
    Alto power pack on direct drum possibly low reverse drum also.
    Upgrade the rear servo piston.
    Ditch the plastic accumulator piston.
    New improved design od piston hosing
    Reseal kit

That’s the plans for now

Status

Update****

Found the problem during rebuild.

Someone put a 3 clutch direct drum in it. Then stacked 4 forward clutches with steels and a .080” snap ring clearance in the direct drum was around .020”. Bought a reman 4 clutch direct off eBay for 50$ stacked 6 red alto thin frictions with 6 kolene steels. Wavy .050 snap ring and got .085 clearance.

Also looks like the previous rebuilder put the direct drum thick frictions in the forward clutch.

It’s amazing we made the 7 hour drive home with this truck. I was thinking when I bought it that the tx cable needed to be adjusted.

Mine died so quietly.....
    was driving to work for 25 min or so on the interstate(no red lights, constant speed)...slowed down to take the off ramp(foot off gas pedal for a few seconds)... went to continue driving(foot back on gas pedal) and it just revs like its in neutral...pulled over...and every gear did nothing..just revvved in very gear.....spent 3000.00 on a built one.

+ Reply to Thread