+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Transmission behavior question.

Status

Default Transmission behavior question.

Alright, so brand new member here, who has been lurking for the past 3 months of owning my RT, and am in need of some help from all of you 46re wizz-bangs out there.

My trans shifts out perfect at cruising speeds, thru town, and on the highway. But when I get on the throttle for a high rpm 1st to 2nd shift around 5k, the trans holds it back for about 4 seconds before finally shifting into 2nd. Now, with the go pedal still down, it will bang thru the rest just fine.

I have been told it's a bad torque converter, I have been told its linkage or a solenoid, i have been told it is just in need of a rebuild (typical transmission shop answer) and I have been told it needs a shift kit.

Any help would be much appreciated.

GPz550 Addict

Status

Did anyone tell you no one uses the term, "wizz-bang" anymore? LOL!!!

Welcome to the site!
    DRTC #1176

2000 Bright White CC (1/553)
    Dyno'ed 07/05/13 (126,000 Miles) 230 Hp / 308 Tq
    14.6 @ 93 mph (2.18 60 ft.), 4130 lbs.(1/2 tank gas)
    Truck Pictures --> http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v9...Clough/Dakota/

1985 Kawasaki GPz550
    2003 SV650S (Race)
    1973 W100 Powerwagon

Mater: I don’t need to know where I’m goin’, I just need to know where I been!

"Bleach Master"

Status

Quote Originally Posted by SPelf View Post
    Alright, so brand new member here, who has been lurking for the past 3 months of owning my RT, and am in need of some help from all of you 46re wizz-bangs out there.

My trans shifts out perfect at cruising speeds, thru town, and on the highway. But when I get on the throttle for a high rpm 1st to 2nd shift around 5k, the trans holds it back for about 4 seconds before finally shifting into 2nd. Now, with the go pedal still down, it will bang thru the rest just fine.

I have been told it's a bad torque converter, I have been told its linkage or a solenoid, i have been told it is just in need of a rebuild (typical transmission shop answer) and I have been told it needs a shift kit.

Any help would be much appreciated.
    First make an introduction thread.
    Second, make sure the T.V. cable is adjusted correctly, if it is then 99% of the time it is the stock Governor pressure solenoid can't handle the pressure anymore and sticks and from it's readings the PCM holds the shift.
    I suggest starting with a Borg Warner Governor pressure solenoid and new Mopar Governor pressure sensor/transducer, adjust bands and replace filter and fill with ATF +4 fluid.
    DO NOT!!!! run any form of universal or dexron/mercron ATF with an additive that claims it makes dexron/mercron behave like atf +4, it doesn't!
    This signature has been deleted thanks to photobucket!

Status

Took care of that introduction , thanks! And that sounds like a good plan of action to me. I've never adjusted a TV cable before, but imagine it cant be too hard
    2003 Dakota R/T CC Flame Red. Bolt ons, Built Trans.
    Dynotune Nitrous Wet system, 100 shot, FRP tuned. (SOLD! Gone but never forgotten)

Acts 2:38

"Bleach Master"

Status

Took care of that introduction , thanks! And that sounds like a good plan of action to me. I've never adjusted a TV cable before, but imagine it cant be too hard
    Check the FAQ section, we have the instructions as per the factory service manual in there.
    This signature has been deleted thanks to photobucket!

Status

Quote Originally Posted by slammedR/T View Post
    Check the FAQ section, we have the instructions as per the factory service manual in there.
    Will do man. I appreciate your help! I had already bought a shift kit, but held off on installing it until I found out what was going on. Hopefully with that issue resolved and a shift kit, it'll make a pretty big difference
    Dynotune Nitrous Wet system, 100 shot, FRP tuned. (SOLD! Gone but never forgotten)

Status

Does anyone know of a how-to thread on how to change the Governor pressure solenoid? Is there a specific process or is it pretty straightforward and plug-n-play?

Does anyone know of a how-to thread on how to change the Governor pressure solenoid? Is there a specific process or is it pretty straightforward and plug-n-play?
    It's pretty straight forward. The hardest part is dropping the pan and dealing with the fluid. Unless your pan has a drain plug.

Remove the electrical connector, remove the 2 T-25 Torx screws and the 4 7/16" bolts and pull the solenoid straight out of the body. Leave the transducer in place. May take a little prying as the o-rings hold it in place rather tightly.

2003 CC
    360 Swapped, FRP Tuned, 2.02 EQ Heads, 210XP cam, HS 1.7 RR's, Fastman 52mm TB, Mopar 2bbl M1, Mopar/PPH Headers, 2.5" True Dual, X-Pipe, Hooker AeroChambers, Hi Flow Cats, MSD Coil, Cloyes Double Roller Chain, JGC fan, 180F T-stat, Mopar Valve covers, K&N FIPK, PATC 2800 Stall, Martin Saine VB, Mildly built trans, 4.10 gears.
    249 HP/322 TQ FRP Tune (Old build. New build TBD)
    12.35 @ 109 (150 Shot)

r/DodgeDakota

Status

The kit I bought came with the transducer and a small gasket. What are the additional for changing the transducer as well?

+ Reply to Thread