+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Thank You, and Hardware Stores

GPz550 Addict

Status

Default Thank You, and Hardware Stores

Thank you for all of the years of information added to this site, and replies to questions. I know on Facebook, one can get instant gratification, replies, and heckling, but way too many questions asked the same way, for me to go there, so here I stay.

Sometimes you just have to hunt out a small Mom and Pops Hardware Store to get what you want. Sure Home Depot and Lowes have a lot of things, but there is no service service like the small Hardware Store. From asking a few here about a plug for my M1 coolant passages, I was directed the Hardware Store. These places are being replaced by the Big Box Stores, and online purchases, but when you need something that is not so ordinary, they come through again and again. Sure, Home Depot had the NPT Thread Plugs I was looking for, but did not have the NPT Tap. They said I had to order it online. Looked for an older employee with a really old apron, but didn't see one. I stopped while inside the "Big Box", searched for a local Hardware Store from my phone, and saw they had what I needed in stock. Only 7 miles from my house. Called them to verify they had it in stock, and made the trip there (love the original creaking wood floors in there). Drill bit, and NPT Tap was in my hand for about $11.00 and off I went.

Bottom line; support your local Hardware Store, and this site, but please use the search function here and go back many years before asking.
    DRTC #1176

2000 Bright White CC (1/553)
    Dyno'ed 07/05/13 (126,000 Miles) 230 Hp / 308 Tq
    14.6 @ 93 mph (2.18 60 ft.), 4130 lbs.(1/2 tank gas)
    Truck Pictures --> http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v9...Clough/Dakota/

1985 Kawasaki GPz550
    2003 SV650S (Race)
    1973 W100 Powerwagon

Mater: I don’t need to know where I’m goin’, I just need to know where I been!

Status

For real!!

I have an ACE hardware here,and that place has all kinds of hardware and other odd shizz that the big box stores would never bother to carry.

And ya,facepage is useless for info...

Supporting Vendor

Status

I have an ACE hardware here,and that place has all kinds of hardware and other odd shizz that the big box stores would never bother to carry.
    I'm always in ACE hardware for misc fasteners when doing prototypes or making jigs. Otherwise I'd have to buy bulk from my fastener supplier.

"ACE is the place" LOL

Status

Agree! However, in my small town I had to mail order the tap & heli-coil to repair the threads in my M1 to install the IAT sensor.
    99 DA CC R/T
    13.97@100 w/modded kegger & ported TB
    12.96 @103
    10:8-1 .30 over forged bottom end
    R/T ported heads
    Detroit locker 4:56 gears
    Built 46RE MSaine 3500 stall Ultra Billet
    http://imgur.com/a/lOVuZ

I always try to go to the smaller shops. You almost always get better service. I'd rather pay a couple of dollars more to support the local guy. Sometimes, it's just impossible to do. The big box stores have put a lot of the little mom and pops out of business. And, if those weren't bad enough, the whole online thing is also killing the brick and mortar shops.

+ Reply to Thread