+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Is there anyway possible to change the temp control cable without moving the dash?

Status

Default Is there anyway possible to change the temp control cable without moving the dash?

Back awhile I was wondering why my a/c wasn't working perfect after replacing the hoses, accumulator, orifice tube, evaporator, heater core. It was about 1.5-2 years ago now. It's been comfortable but not cold like on my Ford Ranger which sometimes gets below 40 out the center vents. I figured out that the temp control cable on my 99 R/T isn't closing the door all the way. I tested it manually by pushing the end of the cable and could immediately tell the difference in the temp. There was actually something wrong with it where it connected to the back of the temp control knob, it was slipping out of the sheathing or something. It's been awhile since I checked it. But now when it's been over 90 constantly you can definitely tell it's not working right. Apparently I when I had the a/c box out replacing everything I didn't realize there was an adjustment procedure to make sure the door closes all the way. I got another cable that's in good shape. But is it possible to get the cable changed and adjusted without having to go through the trouble of unplugging everything and rolling the dash back. All I've tried it pulling the switch panel out. I hate to do everything I had to do when changing the heater core just to install a cable. I was thinking of having a shop do it but then I thought they might break something on the box since it was broken when I did the job. I had to end up getting another box out of the junkyard. Anyone know of a way to get it changed without doing all that?

Home School Valedictorian

Status

Sorry, I have no useful information. Good luck though.

"Excuse me if I have some place in my mind, where I go time to time"

Status

Knocking on wood... I haven't had to take my dash apart to replace anything in there. If you have had it apart, I guess you would be the best judge on the procedure. And, I agree about doing it yourself. You would be sure nothing was broken and 1/2 arsed by a shop.
    99 DA CC R/T
    13.97@100 w/modded kegger & ported TB
    12.96 @103
    10:8-1 .30 over forged bottom end
    R/T ported heads
    Detroit locker 4:56 gears
    Built 46RE MSaine 3500 stall Ultra Billet
    http://imgur.com/a/lOVuZ

+ Reply to Thread