+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What's usually wrong on 46RE when reverse is out but all other gears work?

Status

Default What's usually wrong on 46RE when reverse is out but all other gears work?

So I'm possibly looking to get another R/T but a Club Cab because I need an extended cab pickup. My 99 is a regular cab and my other truck is a regular cab too. I saw a 2001 Club Cab that's fairly local, maybe some have come across it too or maybe even the owner is a member here. But I see it showed it had like 115,000-120,000 miles, I can't remember, but they said the Reverse is out but all other gears work fine. Is that more than likely going to require a teardown on the transmission or replacement? Seems like I've read somewhere that it's common on these transmissions.

"Bleach Master"

Status

Quote Originally Posted by wh23g3g View Post
    So I'm possibly looking to get another R/T but a Club Cab because I need an extended cab pickup. My 99 is a regular cab and my other truck is a regular cab too. I saw a 2001 Club Cab that's fairly local, maybe some have come across it too or maybe even the owner is a member here. But I see it showed it had like 115,000-120,000 miles, I can't remember, but they said the Reverse is out but all other gears work fine. Is that more than likely going to require a teardown on the transmission or replacement? Seems like I've read somewhere that it's common on these transmissions.
    If reverse is dead or slips bad, then manual 1st will also feel like it is slipping real bad/none at all/ feel like the E-brake is on then the Low/reverse band is very far out of adjustment or stripped of it's lining.
    This signature has been deleted thanks to photobucket!

-Zen-

Status

Exactly how I bought my '00 regular cab - no reverse, but all the other gears were 'ok'. After buying it I basically drove it straight to the transmission shop for a rebuild - only had 80k miles on it too.

Red trucks are faster

Status

Check trans fluid for dark color and burnt smell.
    Overdive will go out next.
    You are on borrowed time with that trans.
    Same thing happened to me before I installed n.o.s. 46re from dealer a few years ago.
    Your problem isn't the problem. Your reaction is the problem.

http://www.dakotart.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=14597&dateline=143749  2005

Status

I figured that so I stayed away from buying it.

+ Reply to Thread