+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Can’t figue out where my oil is going

Status

Default Can’t figue out where my oil is going

My truck has been burning oil for years! Eats about a quart ever 100 miles. I’ve had the plenum gasket replaced with Edelbrock air gap intake and I put new valve seals also just had a leak Down test done and all cylinders passed. (Cylinder 6 had some oil build up but mechanic said nothing to worry about)

PCV hose does blow a lot of smoke out of it while idling and there’s no smoke coming out of tail pipe.

Let me now what u guys think! Thanks

Black Pearl

Status

99% sure it's the plenum gasket on the bottom of the intake manifold. Open up the blades of the throttle body and look down inside for puddling oil. Easy fix with an aftermarket plate. Search for it and you'll see.
    If you haven't lived for something, you'll die for nothing.

CAUSEDODGEPATTERNBALDNESS

Status

He said he went to an Edelbrock intake, not going to be the plenum gasket...

Black Pearl

Status

Quote Originally Posted by nitroram33 View Post
    He said he went to an Edelbrock intake, not going to be the plenum gasket...
    DOH
    If you haven't lived for something, you'll die for nothing.

Home School Valedictorian

Status

A leak-down test proves nothing for oil consumption. It is for lost compression. You are leaking or burning the oil. What does the bottom of the truck and/or the inside of the tail pipe(s) look like.

"Excuse me if I have some place in my mind, where I go time to time"

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Goober rt View Post
    PCV hose does blow a lot of smoke out of it while idling and there’s no smoke coming out of tail pipe.
    Which hose are you talking about?

Status

Quote Originally Posted by 9t9-5.2 View Post
    A leak-down test proves nothing for oil consumption. It is for lost compression. You are leaking or burning the oil. What does the bottom of the truck and/or the inside of the tail pipe(s) look like.
    Bottom of engine has small oil build up. tail pipes are BLACK after 100 or so miles of driving. Truck has 86k miles and it’s been burning oil since 65.000 miles 5 years.

Is there anything u think I can do to find out where the oil is going? Is there any other test I can do?

Status

Quote Originally Posted by niebs View Post
    Which hose are you talking about?
    It’s the hose coming from top of valve cover into the K&N intake tube. Also has new PCV valve.

Status

It’s the hose coming from top of valve cover into the K&N intake tube. Also has new PCV valve.
    I put this in your other thread as well.
    You should only have one pvc valve and one open elbow fitting. The open fitting goes to the intake before the throttle body. The actual pcv valve goes to the intake manifold after the throttle body.
    From the factory the pcv valve is on the driver side valve cover and goes into the intake manifold.
    The one on the passenger side valve cover is just an empty elbow fitting, not a pcv valve.

Home School Valedictorian

Status

Bottom of engine has small oil build up. tail pipes are BLACK after 100 or so miles of driving. Truck has 86k miles and it’s been burning oil since 65.000 miles 5 years.

Is there anything u think I can do to find out where the oil is going? Is there any other test I can do?
    As neibs is mentioning, verify your pcv routing/install. Check the pcv hose to see if oil is getting past it and into your intake. Other possibilities can be the intake to head gaskets aren't sealing properly and oil could be drawn by directly into the cylinders. The oil control rings could be bad. Have someone follow you down the road in varying driving conditions looking for signs of oil burning.
    Are you confident the valve seals are the proper seals? If they don't fit the valve stem snugly oil could slip by. If they don't fit the guide properly they could be dislodged.
    What oil brand and weight are you currently using?
    From the brief description you gave of the bottom of the engine sounds like typical seepage.

"Excuse me if I have some place in my mind, where I go time to time"

Status

Quote Originally Posted by niebs View Post
    I put this in your other thread as well.
    You should only have one pvc valve and one open elbow fitting. The open fitting goes to the intake before the throttle body. The actual pcv valve goes to the intake manifold after the throttle body.
    From the factory the pcv valve is on the driver side valve cover and goes into the intake manifold.
    The one on the passenger side valve cover is just an empty elbow fitting, not a pcv valve.
    Yep that’s how my truck is set up. Thanks for the info.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by 9t9-5.2 View Post
    As neibs is mentioning, verify your pcv routing/install. Check the pcv hose to see if oil is getting past it and into your intake. Other possibilities can be the intake to head gaskets aren't sealing properly and oil could be drawn by directly into the cylinders. The oil control rings could be bad. Have someone follow you down the road in varying driving conditions looking for signs of oil burning.
    Are you confident the valve seals are the proper seals? If they don't fit the valve stem snugly oil could slip by. If they don't fit the guide properly they could be dislodged.
    What oil brand and weight are you currently using?
    From the brief description you gave of the bottom of the engine sounds like typical seepage.
    PCV is as it should be. If the gasket was bad or not sealed correctly would it make the throttle body sound different? I can’t remember what kind of valve seal I bought. I did install HS roller rockers and springs all at once. Bought them from Hipoteck. The guy I had install RS RR didn’t install the valve cover gaskets correctly and he re installed a new one. Maybe he mest up when he installed the Edelbrock Airgap intake manifold? I don’t have CATs on my truck so it makes it kinda hard to really see what’s coming out of exhaust.

I’m thinking I should do all new gaskets and seals again and do it with a shop that nows what there doing.
    I’d hate to invest another 3-400 hundred dollars and still have the same issue.

Status

I’ve drove my truck all day today and I’ve mostly been on the gas peddle. Theres oil build up all over my bumper and tail gate. It’s vary noticeable and when I ran my finger across it there was black oil on my finger. I’m driving my truck back home and gonna check the oil level.

I had the oil changed 115 miles ago

Status

Im 1 and half quarts low.

Turbo Dakota Junky

Status

It sounds like it's going all over your tailgate after leaking out.
    Duner
    4.7 Turbocharged CC in white - 12's
    5.9 Turbocharged RC in black - 10's

1999 Dodge Dakota R/T RC Turbo: 10.51 @ 130.13 MPH

Red trucks are faster

Status

Whens the last time you pulled and inspected spark plugs???
    If intake gaskets were not installed properly the rear seal will leak oil down back of motor and onto trans. bellhousing. Look at back of intake around distributor for wetness.
    Your problem isn't the problem. Your reaction is the problem.

http://www.dakotart.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=14597&dateline=143749  2005

+ Reply to Thread