+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Best oil catch can to use?

Status

Default Best oil catch can to use?

Hay guys after a couple years of chasing down a oil burning issue i found out my PCV might have a big roll in it. So I have a Dakota 5.9L and I was trying to figure out with is the best oil catch can to use.
    My truck eats about a quart of oil every 100 miles so I’m hoping there’s a oil catch can out there that hold more oil then most catch cans.

Thanks guys!

I killed Goose

Status

Most catch cans are not that big. A quart every 100 miles is a very excessive amount. If it's ingesting all that through the PCV system your intake manifold and spark plugs must be black as night.
    Maybe the oil control rings are shot and you're not noticing the smoke?

Project Maverick. I feel the need, the need for speed

"Bleach Master"

Status

Qquart every 100 miles is not the PCV valve unless you have it stuck into the oil pan. You either have a combination of bad bad valve seals, bad belly pan gasket, bad oil rings. I assume this is a high mileage engine? if so you could start with a belly pan gasket but in my opinion it will prolly need a refresh of the engine.
    This signature has been deleted thanks to photobucket!

CAUSEDODGEPATTERNBALDNESS

Status

Quote Originally Posted by slammedR/T View Post
    Qquart every 100 miles is not the PCV valve unless you have it stuck into the oil pan. You either have a combination of bad bad valve seals, bad belly pan gasket, bad oil rings. I assume this is a high mileage engine? if so you could start with a belly pan gasket but in my opinion it will prolly need a refresh of the engine.
    He made another post mentioning that it's already had the valve seals replaced and the kegger swapped for an Edelbrock.

Status

Has 86.000 miles and still runs smooth and strong. I fist notice the burning oil issue at 65.000 miles 5 years ago. Also I did a leak Down test. Resolts came back fine.

So if it ant the belly pan’ valve seals’ pcv and there’s no oil in cylinders. What is it? And there’s no oil leaks in my drive way!

Status

Quote Originally Posted by BIGROB View Post
    Most catch cans are not that big. A quart every 100 miles is a very excessive amount. If it's ingesting all that through the PCV system your intake manifold and spark plugs must be black as night.
    Maybe the oil control rings are shot and you're not noticing the smoke?
    Ive never notice a large amount of smoke. And I haven’t had a set of plugs in the truck long enough to see if there was oil build up. Also the intake looks like it’s coated with oil but no puddles or or oil dripping also the intake only has about 2-3.000 miles on it

I killed Goose

Status

Are you running stock valve covers with baffles? How do you have the PCV hose routed to the manifold?
    In the other thread you mention the smoke was visible coming out of the hose going to the K&N intake tube.
    That hose lets fresh air into the engine, shouldn't let smoke out. Is the throttle body black with oil?

Something is seriously wrong if the problem persisted for 20,000 miles, a quart per 100 miles means you've burned through 200 quarts of oil.

"Bleach Master"

Status

If the fresh air hose up to the K&N tube is oil soaked then to much crank case pressure is forcing oil out of the pcv and valve cover breather.
    Rings and low vacuum and bad pcv are the usual suspects for this.

Status

Are you running stock valve covers with baffles? How do you have the PCV hose routed to the manifold?
    In the other thread you mention the smoke was visible coming out of the hose going to the K&N intake tube.
    That hose lets fresh air into the engine, shouldn't let smoke out. Is the throttle body black with oil?

Something is seriously wrong if the problem persisted for 20,000 miles, a quart per 100 miles means you've burned through 200 quarts of oil.
    I got aftermarket Magnum valve covers. The hose that I see smoke coming out of is the hose that connects to a PCV Valve then into the valve cover. . I removed the hose from the intake and noticed a good amount of smoke at normal idle. I removed the k&N intake and seen a little oil build up around the throttle blades. It’s not fludded or dripping oil.

If it means anything I have HS Rollar rockers.

Status

If the fresh air hose up to the K&N tube is oil soaked then to much crank case pressure is forcing oil out of the pcv and valve cover breather.
    Rings and low vacuum and bad pcv are the usual suspects for this.
    I jammed my pinkie finger in in that hose and there was no oil on my finger.
    And u said Rings? I’m assuming u mean oil rings is there any kind of pressure test I can do?

Status

I’m looking at my motor.... there’s only 3 rubber hoses. First one I see is brake booster hose. Goes from brake booster into left/driver side of Edelbrock Air Gap intake manifold.

2nd hose witch is the hose I see smoke coming out of. Plugs into left side PCV/valve cover then goes into a port on rear side of K&N intake.

3rd hose right side valve cover has a PCV valve then a hose that runs into driver side intake manifold. I don’t see smoke coming out of this hose

This seems like a normal set up to the original setup.
    Last edited by Goober rt; 06-28-2018 at 06:08 PM. Reason: Miss print

Status

You should only have one pvc valve and one open elbow fitting. The open fitting goes to the intake before the throttle body. The actual pcv valve goes to the intake manifold after the throttle body.

I killed Goose

Status

If you have smoke / oily vapor coming out of the fresh air hose the PCV valve isn't working at all or can't keep up with amount of blow-by pressure in the crankcase.
    If the oil isn't leaking out or getting into the coolant its being burned through the engine. Those are the only three possibilities.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by niebs View Post
    You should only have one pvc valve and one open elbow fitting. The open fitting goes to the intake before the throttle body. The actual pcv valve goes to the intake manifold after the throttle body.
    Yea that why I see.

Status

If you have smoke / oily vapor coming out of the fresh air hose the PCV valve isn't working at all or can't keep up with amount of blow-by pressure in the crankcase.
    If the oil isn't leaking out or getting into the coolant its being burned through the engine. Those are the only three possibilities.
    Just look at my engine.... the smoke is coming out of the elbow side of hose. Witch is on my driver side of truck.

Is it possible that my elbow and PCV valve is in the wrong spots?

Status

Maybe when the valve covers where installed they put the PCV valve where the elbow should have been.

The elbow is on driver side. Witch is the same hose as all the smoke. And the pcv is on passenger side with no smoke.

"Bleach Master"

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Goober rt View Post
    Just look at my engine.... the smoke is coming out of the elbow side of hose. Witch is on my driver side of truck.

Is it possible that my elbow and PCV valve is in the wrong spots?
    shouldn't matter, as long as you have one pcv on one side and one breather hose/fitting on the other side.
    I still say either valve guides or oil control rings are your issue, what oil are you running?

Status

shouldn't matter, as long as you have one pcv on one side and one breather hose/fitting on the other side.
    I still say either valve guides or oil control rings are your issue, what oil are you running?
    True it doesn't matter what side but the pcv valve needs to be to the manifold after the throttle body.

"Bleach Master"

Status

True it doesn't matter what side but the pcv valve needs to be to the manifold after the throttle body.
    Um, duh! it needs a manifold vacuum source, only way a PCV valve will work is with engine vacuum....

Status

Um, duh! it needs a manifold vacuum source, only way a PCV valve will work is with engine vacuum....
    Exactly. I just wanted it to be stated. Cause It may not be clear to some people.

Status

Exactly. I just wanted it to be stated. Cause It may not be clear to some people.
    Thank u! Lol. I’ve drove my truck all day today and I’ve mostly been on the gas peddle. Theres oil build up all over my bumper and tail gate. It’s vary noticeable and when I ran my finger across it there was black oil on my finger. I’m driving my truck back home and gonna check the oil level.

Just did a oil change a 115 miles ago.

Status

Synthetic 10-30. Then I started using thicker oil but it didn’t help

Status

Just checked oil and it’s 1 and half qourts low.

I killed Goose

Status

This is pretty far fetched but make sure the breather and PVC grommets aren't blocked. The cast Magnum valve covers come with a couple grommet / plugs that need to be cut open if used with the breather elbow.
    And make sure the PCV valve isn't bottoming out on the baffle inside and blocking flow.

IMG_5395.JPG IMG_5393.JPG

IMG_5391.JPG

Status

This is pretty far fetched but make sure the breather and PVC grommets aren't blocked. The cast Magnum valve covers come with a couple grommet / plugs that need to be cut open if used with the breather elbow.
    And make sure the PCV valve isn't bottoming out on the baffle inside and blocking flow.

IMG_5395.JPG IMG_5393.JPG

IMG_5391.JPG
    I’ll check it out as soon as I get home. Also I was driving home today and on high idle deceleration there’s a large amount of smoke coming out of tail pipes.

I’m now someone mechined this in one of the post.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast