+ Reply to Thread

Thread: A/C Compressor clicking when turned on?

-Zen-

Status

Default A/C Compressor clicking when turned on?

Hey guys, my truck just started making a rapid clicking sound coming from the A/C compressor whenever I turn it on. As soon as the A/C is turned on the clicking happens, and goes away as soon as the A/C is turned off.
    The air still blows cold.
    The speed of the clicking goes up and down with RPM - only noticeable at idle, and just off idle (you can hear it ramp up with rpm as you take off, but then it seems to disappear above 1500'ish rpm).

The radiator electric fan is only a few months old, so I doubt that's the problem (Although I haven't run the truck up hot enough -extended idling on a hot day for example - to force the radiator fan to come on by itself)

Question - Is there some type of replaceable 'coil' on the compressor I can replace? Been looking at A/C parts online and can't seem to find a separate coil.
    Or does this sound like the clutch itself is letting go?

Compressors are relatively cheap, so I'd replace the whole thing, but if there's an external coil I can replace (without needing to discharge/recharge) that would be awesome.
    Truck has 90k miles on her.

Thanks

Status

More than likely you are on the low side of coolant and it's trying to decide if the clutch should engage or not. If the coolant pressure is low the unit won't start so there won't be any damage done. It sounds like it wants go start but the coolant pressure is on the verge of being to low. I hope this makes sense.
    Edelbrock Magnum heads, Harland-Sharp 1:6 RR, Jomar Performance Ultra-Lite Stud Girdle, SoutheastPerformance Sheet Metal Valve Covers, Custom Hyd Roller from Reed Cams, Mopar M-1 2 Brl Intake, Hughes Stage 1 TB, JBA SS Headers, Jacobs Electronics Pro Street Ignition System and Wires, MBRP 'Cuda Style Exhaust, Western Chassis 2" drop front and rear, Edelbrock IAS Shocks, Terry DeLong Pro-Glass Shaker Hood

Home School Valedictorian

Status

I agree with ^^^^

Typically the clutch can be replaced in some form on a compressor, either on it's own or as part of the pulley. The coil would be external, no need to discharge. There are possibly special tools required.

"Excuse me if I have some place in my mind, where I go time to time"

-Zen-

Status

Thanks for the ideas - probably low on coolant/juice/freezy stuff. It only needed a recharge when I bought it a few years ago to get it working.
    Probably take it to my mechanic soon to have checked out.
    Thanks guys!

Status

Also seems like your A/C needs to be charged. My truck did the same thing.... I charged my A/C and the noise stopped. This same noise happen to a couple of my other cars aswell and I did the same thing.... charge the A/C. I think it’s a Coman problem with all cars.

+ Reply to Thread