+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Compression ratio for street truck and general build questions

Supporting Vendor

Status

FWIW, I just checked the cc in a new out-of-the-box Eddy 61775 cylinder head and it was 59cc.

The last head I checked with the valves unshrouded was 61.5cc.

Turbo Dakota Junky

Status

Nice job!
    Duner
    4.7 Turbocharged CC in white - 12's
    5.9 Turbocharged RC in black - 10's

1999 Dodge Dakota R/T RC Turbo: 10.51 @ 130.13 MPH

"Bleach Master"

Status

My heads back in 2006 were 64cc out the box, after larger valves, unshrouding, and cutting them I got the to 59cc

I think I got them to 59cc, getting old is hell, lol
    Last edited by slammedR/T; 06-14-2018 at 01:09 PM. Reason: old people moment
    This signature has been deleted thanks to photobucket!

Just as a frame of reference...

I have the KB107's and EQ heads. I also went with the Hipotek HPT220X 110 LSA.

Had to go with the Cometic gaskets (0.051 compressed). I had originally measured .012 out of the hole, but that was with the piston rocked in the bore. Numbers were more like .005 out of the hole on the quench side. The dynamic compression is 10.2 on the KB calculator. I just got it running - backfires out of the intake/TB. Waiting on a tuner from FRP. Hopefully here by the end of the week.

The crazy felpros were 4.180 bore! Couldn't go with the felpro race gasket - too thin. The other felpros are pure headache - they all vary in thickness!
    2001 Dakota R/T, Standard Cab...the Rat Roaster!

Status

Reviving this thread because I managed to get my hands on a good deal for eddys/comp 1.6 rockers/lifters/pushrods. I also bought an M1 2bbl and a cam a couple months ago so the parts are stacking up. Cam is Crane OPHY2634-10+1, 226/234 @.050 .552/.544 lift 110 LSA.

I ditched the whole machining idea and am now looking at Icon 741 forged pistons which should be drop in with the same weight as stock pistons but give me zero deck (same compression height as the KB107s) so no balancing required. Seems like a solid plan to me.

Assuming zero deck with those pistons and a 59cc chamber on the heads, perfect world would be Fel Pro 1008 gaskets to give me perfect quench and put me at a hair over 11.1 compression, dynamic compression 9.3 as that cam has a good amount of overlap. We'll see where the deck comes out to once the short block is assembled and I'll make my gasket choice then.

-Justin

Status

Good to read you are moving ahead on the build! If my son has his engine bay painted and ready, I will be helping him get his engine installed here in 3 weeks or so.
    p.s. My son & I both ran into bad rocker arm geometry. It turned out our pushrod guides were too thick. He found these thinner pieces and ordered them. It brought alignment back into place, so I bought a set as well. With the Eddy heads it may not be an issue, but wanted to give you a "heads-up".
    https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B001R9H7...=aa_pcomp_exp4
    99 DA CC R/T
    13.97@100 w/modded kegger & ported TB
    12.96 @103
    10:8-1 .30 over forged bottom end
    R/T ported heads
    Detroit locker 4:56 gears
    Built 46RE MSaine 3500 stall Ultra Billet
    http://imgur.com/a/lOVuZ

my 360 in my duster is 11:1 and i run pump 91....8 years now no issues...its all in cam and tuning...im fuel injected with eddy heads
    Be yourself, everyone else is already taken
    11.1 @ 120

Status

Quote Originally Posted by JamesEcker View Post
    my 360 in my duster is 11:1 and i run pump 91....8 years now no issues...its all in cam and tuning...im fuel injected with eddy heads
    Definitely not worried about the high static compression anymore as I know this cam is going to bleed a good bit off anyways.

Waiting on Ryan's input on compression / how big of a throttle body I need.

-Justin

Status

Default Converter stall speed

Trying to figure out what stall I should go with. Just got my new trans in today from Dan Palumbo - great guy to deal with. Very happy with the deal I got on this.

I was recommended 3200 at first, but wondering if I should actually go higher than that. This truck is a daily driver first above everything.

Cam card for reference:

Imgur link

-Justin
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by xjsc16x; 03-15-2019 at 10:17 PM. Reason: uploaded to imgur instead

Status

And your DA is....?
    And yeah, it matters.
    11.27 @ 118.23
    2017 NM Mopar Challenge Series Champion

Quote Originally Posted by xjsc16x View Post
    Trying to figure out what stall I should go with. Just got my new trans in today from Dan Palumbo - great guy to deal with. Very happy with the deal I got on this.

I was recommended 3200 at first, but wondering if I should actually go higher than that. This truck is a daily driver first above everything.

Cam card for reference:

Imgur link

-Justin

No reason to go higher on a daily driver. If anything less stall.
    408, HiPoTek, FRP Tuning, Martin Saine 46re
    12.33 @ 110
    2018 Renegade Raceway Summit Series Sportsman Champion

Status

My Martin Saine billet converter stalls right at 3500. It is perfectly street-able, but probably not truly needed since I don't get to a track all that often. It does rev more when climbing a slow speed hill, (20-45 mph). I didn't like the stock converter and a milder cam, it would jump when putting it in gear.
    Last edited by 99dart; 03-16-2019 at 02:00 AM.
    99 DA CC R/T
    13.97@100 w/modded kegger & ported TB
    12.96 @103
    10:8-1 .30 over forged bottom end
    R/T ported heads
    Detroit locker 4:56 gears
    Built 46RE MSaine 3500 stall Ultra Billet
    http://imgur.com/a/lOVuZ

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Adobedude View Post
    And your DA is....?
    And yeah, it matters.
    I live in Massachusetts. So basically sea level. I don't really see elevation much, if ever. New England dragway would be where I'd be running when I do hit the strip.

-Justin

I gots to have mo'par-ts!

Status

All about this thread right now! Working on doing very similar work to my rig as well. I have almost 150k on her, and am prepping to do a top end upgrade finally. I picked up some iron R/T heads for a great price, along with a mopar performance cam P4532864 230/234 @.050, 501/513 lift 108 C/L. Apparently it was the same cam used in the Mopar 380HP crate engines. Anyways, any updates on your build? Did you decide on those Icon 741 forged pistons?
    1999 R/T CC Flame Red (what's left of the paint)
    //SHAKER// 408 Forged // TKO600 5spd // Spintech-Mids // HiPoTek 106 LOPEYCAM // FRP Tuned //

Status

Quote Originally Posted by JDreamR/T View Post
    All about this thread right now! Working on doing very similar work to my rig as well. I have almost 150k on her, and am prepping to do a top end upgrade finally. I picked up some iron R/T heads for a great price, along with a mopar performance cam P4532864 230/234 @.050, 501/513 lift 108 C/L. Apparently it was the same cam used in the Mopar 380HP crate engines. Anyways, any updates on your build? Did you decide on those Icon 741 forged pistons?
    Yes, I have everything sitting in boxes waiting to be dropped off at the engine shop on Saturday

They're going to hone the bores, install the new bearings, press the new pistons on the rods, gap the rings for me, throw the short block together, and check for piston to valve clearance and pushrod length.

I actually ended up buying my buddy's stock short block with about 133K on it so that I can keep my truck together for the time being. Also bought a Kevko oil pan from him, and picked up a built trans with an MSaine VB a few weeks ago. Have a plethora of braces on order from HiPoTek too. Going to be picking up a new powdercoated 9.25" axle too, and I'll end up throwing a detroit locker in it. No change spared here

-Justin

I gots to have mo'par-ts!

Status

Quote Originally Posted by xjsc16x View Post
    Yes, I have everything sitting in boxes waiting to be dropped off at the engine shop on Saturday

They're going to hone the bores, install the new bearings, press the new pistons on the rods, gap the rings for me, throw the short block together, and check for piston to valve clearance and pushrod length.

I actually ended up buying my buddy's stock short block with about 133K on it so that I can keep my truck together for the time being. Also bought a Kevko oil pan from him, and picked up a built trans with an MSaine VB a few weeks ago. Have a plethora of braces on order from HiPoTek too. Going to be picking up a new powdercoated 9.25" axle too, and I'll end up throwing a detroit locker in it. No change spared here

-Justin
    Nice you're really going the distance then! Good stuff!! Not sure if I can take it that far myself just yet. I'm not planning on pulling the engine out so rotating assembly is staying put. Even though it's soo temping to do the whole "well while I'm at it--mind as well" thing. I just don't have the means, I gotta get her back on the road for a fast turnaround. It's heads, cam, exhaust, and tune for me and hopefully nothing breaks lol.
    Good luck with everything, I'm definitely subscribed!
    1999 R/T CC Flame Red (what's left of the paint)
    //SHAKER// 408 Forged // TKO600 5spd // Spintech-Mids // HiPoTek 106 LOPEYCAM // FRP Tuned //

Status

Little update. Turns out, the pins included in the package when you buy these Icon pistons aren't the ones you need to run if you're looking to skip out on the balance job and I missed the memo there. I called Brian at IMM and he said he measured the factory crank to be about 20 grams overbalanced, and he uses the lightweight tool steel KB pins and that gets him close enough to not need balancing.

I'm using the pins that these came with so I'm going to need a balance job. My machinist said the stock connecting rods out of the engine I bought are out of round too so guess who's buying Scat forged I beams now

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2