+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cam Selection

Default Cam Selection

Ok - some of you may have seen the fun I'm having with my new R/T (my sons really)...

So will be going with the following (some are already installed), will pull SB this weekend:
    EQ heads with port match and clean up (Springs to match cam)
    KB Hyperutectic Pistons (will be about 10-10.5 to 1)...yes they come out of the hole. Had like 150-160 cranking compression @ 5280'
    M1 TB Intake
    Upgraded TB 52mm
    I-Beam Rods
    2500 stall converter (newer trans with some goodies)
    4.56 gears (Stock R/t Wheels)

Undecided on Rockers/Pushrods and Cam.

Looking/considering the Comp Cams 20-811-9 (.538/.534) or Hughes? I realize the 1.5 or 1.6 will matter on the cam specs...

Will have an Tune (of course).

We are on a budget, but want at least 400hp.
    Last edited by ShelDak; 06-05-2018 at 12:46 PM.
    2001 Dakota R/T, Standard Cab...the Rat Roaster!

Status

what do those heads flow?

I killed Goose

Status

Paging Richard, Dr. Richard

http://stores.hi-potek.com/camshaft/

He's got some good cams. I went around and around for months trying to decide on a cam only to land on one of Richard's original suggestions.

Project Maverick. I feel the need, the need for speed

Stock 1.94 intake and 1.62 Exhaust...

Lift
    100 58 59
    200 109 103
    300 168 145
    350 192 157
    400 212 165
    450 228 172
    500 236 177
    550 238 180

Status

DO NOT buy a cam from Hughes! Again I tell you from experience, a few years back I bought what was suppose to be a brand new cam from him. The engine never did run right so I pulled the cam and sent it to Reed Cams(which unfortunatley have closed due to the shitty economy a couple of years back), and the guy I knew there checked it out and it was a regrind to start. Also it wasn't ground properly, hense poor running engine. Bad guy to do business with. As said above, talk to Richard at Hi-Potek, excellent guy to deal with and very knowledgable.
    Edelbrock Magnum heads, Harland-Sharp 1:6 RR, Jomar Performance Ultra-Lite Stud Girdle, SoutheastPerformance Sheet Metal Valve Covers, Custom Hyd Roller from Reed Cams, Mopar M-1 2 Brl Intake, Hughes Stage 1 TB, JBA SS Headers, Jacobs Electronics Pro Street Ignition System and Wires, MBRP 'Cuda Style Exhaust, Western Chassis 2" drop front and rear, Edelbrock IAS Shocks, Terry DeLong Pro-Glass Shaker Hood

I'll have a chat with Richard. Thank you. Whatever happened to Mopar Performance cams? Back in the day the .509/.292 was awesome for 383/440.

I guess I really need to know what the stock computer can handle with a tune from Ryan. I think 400hp should be fairly straightforward with this combo. Add a 100 shot and it will be really interesting. It's a burnout machine...

Also wondering what the stock rockers can handle from a lift standpoint. Trying to get the best bang for the buck on what we spend. I know the old shaft mounted on the B/RB were good until .509, but their true ratio was around 1.42 to 1.43, so could go with a touch bigger cam as most were rated on the 1.5 ratio but actual was less.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by ShelDak View Post
    Ok - some of you may have seen the fun I'm having with my new R/T (my sons really)...

So will be going with the following (some are already installed), will pull SB this weekend:
    EQ heads with port match and clean up (Springs to match cam)
    KB Hyperutectic Pistons (will be about 10-10.5 to 1)...yes they come out of the hole. Had like 150-160 cranking compression @ 5280'
    M1 TB Intake
    Upgraded TB 52mm
    I-Beam Rods
    2500 stall converter (newer trans with some goodies)
    4.56 gears (Stock R/t Wheels)

Undecided on Rockers/Pushrods and Cam.

Looking/considering the Comp Cams 20-811-9 (.538/.534) or Hughes? I realize the 1.5 or 1.6 will matter on the cam specs...

Will have an Tune (of course).

We are on a budget, but want at least 400hp.
    If those pistons come outta the hole you will have to be REAL careful about piston to valve clearance. Do they have valve reliefs cut in them? The SRP pistons (my son & I are using) have -5cc reliefs in them. This is a popular grind around the club. I went with the XPII for my son's build. We haven't installed the engine yet for a sound bite.
    http://stores.hi-potek.com/hipotek-h...18-360-magnum/
    99 DA CC R/T
    13.97@100 w/modded kegger & ported TB
    12.96 @103
    10:8-1 .30 over forged bottom end
    R/T ported heads
    Detroit locker 4:56 gears
    Built 46RE MSaine 3500 stall Ultra Billet
    http://imgur.com/a/lOVuZ

I have run these pistons before - they are the quench type that have the valve reliefs. Will most likely need to run the thick head gaskets. It had the .028 thickness gaskets before I pulled everything apart. Will certainly measure the clearances on the head/valve to pistons.

That cam sounds mean! It's saying 9 - 9.5 compression, we should have 10-10.5. Don't want to over cam, but I like the 110 LSA. May bump it one size. I like the powerband on that cam as well. Wanting this to pull to 6k with 6250 as the rev limit set number.

"Bleach Master"

Status

How far out the hole? you don't want more than .040" of quench or you will have issues, especially with a growing ass hyper piston.
    This signature has been deleted thanks to photobucket!

I don't know yet on the pistons. Motor isn't quite out. Was going to measure everything when it's apart. Hoping I don't find anything else wonky.

Looking like I'm at least 10+ to 1, maybe 10.5 to 1. I don't have the piston part number yet to be sure.

I've been looking at the following cam:
    Comp Cams custom grind
    HiPoTek HPT220XP Performance Hydraulic Roller Camshaft
    220/230 @ .050 .512/.512 110LSA
    2000-6000 Performance street/strip cam.
    Great 408 street cam on 108-110 LSA. Mod PCM. Headers, intake, gears, 2800-3000 stall. 9.5-10:1 compression. Choppy to rough idle.

A little concerned it's not enough @ .050. Thinking more like 230/240 would be better, but do not want to buy aftermarket rockers.

The only other one I see is the Comp:
    20-813-9
    Cam Style: Hydraulic roller tappet
    Basic Operating RPM Range: 2,500-6,200
    Intake Duration at 050 inch Lift: 236
    Exhaust Duration at 050 inch Lift: 242
    Duration at 050 inch Lift: 236 int./242 exh.
    Advertised Intake Duration: 286
    Advertised Exhaust Duration: 294
    Advertised Duration: 286 int./294 exh.
    Intake Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio: 0.544 in.
    Exhaust Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio: 0.541 in.
    Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio: 0.544 int./0.541 exh.
    Lobe Separation (degrees): 110

Black Pearl

Status

A little concerned it's not enough @ .050. Thinking more like 230/240 would be better, but do not want to buy aftermarket rockers.
    Anytime you do a performance cam swap, you're going to need aftermarket adjustable rockers.
    If you haven't lived for something, you'll die for nothing.

Stock rockers are good until around .525 lift - so no, you don't always need to replace the rockers. Adjustable rockers add how much power?

Black Pearl

Status

Stock rockers are good until around .525 lift - so no, you don't always need to replace the rockers. Adjustable rockers add how much power?
    I said after a cam swap. Horsepower gain from RR's?

Read here ---> http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/eng...oller-rockers/
    Last edited by ScojoDak; 06-12-2018 at 04:21 AM. Reason: typo

"Bleach Master"

Status

You run an adjustable rocker because with a cam swap if you tried running the stock rockers you would have to measure for a custom length pushrod to get the valve train geometry and lifter pre load correct.
    This signature has been deleted thanks to photobucket!

Quote Originally Posted by slammedR/T View Post
    You run an adjustable rocker because with a cam swap if you tried running the stock rockers you would have to measure for a custom length pushrod to get the valve train geometry and lifter pre load correct.
    Thanks for explaining this

Well I did go for the Hughes Roller Rockers - found a used set on ebay. They are 1.65 ratio, so cam specs are a little more aggressive on lift.

Went with the HiPoTek HPT220XP Performance Hydraulic Roller Camshaft Dodge 5.2/5.9 (318/360) Magnum:

HPT 220XP 220/230 .512/.512 110+4 1800/2000-5800/6000 Performance street/strip cam. Great 408 street cam on 108-110 LSA. Mod PCM. Headers, intake, gears, 2800-3000 stall. 9.5-10:1 compression. Choppy to rough idle.
    110 lsa

I was going to go more Duration at .050, but need this streetable.

Compression ends up being 10.221 to 1 using the static calculator. We are also 5030' elevation.

EQ Heads are being ported. Got the matching springs for the cam. Motor isn't out yet but will be today. Hopefully we don't have any other head scratchers.

Black Pearl

Status

Tighten up the quench to minimize detonation. Shoot for .035/.045 quench pad. A tight quench nearly eliminates detonation depending on CR and fuel used.

I finally got the piston part number - they are KB107. Those are a flat top with valve reliefs. KB website shows 10.9 to 1 with a 62 cc head.

Motor is out - brandy new Eagle rods in there!

Motor back in! Not fired yet. Flyin Ryan is next on my list. Will fire this weekend. Had to order header gaskets.

Status

Hello ShelDak,

I assume you ended up finishing this build and getting it tuned by FRP. How did everything work out?

I hope to hear back from you.

Thanks

Status
    Blog Entries

THAT'S A CONSERVATIVE CAM FOR A 408 BUILD AND YOUR SPECS. [230-240 AREA @.050] ..560 AREA LIFT.... I CAN TELL YOU FROM EXPERIENCE.. UNLESS YOUR @8,000 FT. ABOVE SEA LEVEL..

+ Reply to Thread