+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Going through light switches on my 98 RT

Black trucks only

Status

Wink Going through light switches on my 98 RT

Hey guys I'm trying to figure out why I've gone through three light switches in the past couple of years. I put Sylvania SilverStar Ultra Headlight bulbs in a while back for better vision, but I don't think that has anything to do with it. When I replace my headlight switch it will work for a while again but it will eventually burn out.
    I did some research and I read there's something about putting a resistor in line so the switch does not overheat? I am not very good with electrical but if someone could let me know at least what I need to do, I have a shop I could have help me fix the issue. I would just like to get ahead on this before spring hits and I take it out of storage so I can drive my pride and joy again!
    Thanks in advance!
    1998 Dodge Dakota RC Black R/T 1 of 74

Status

First thing to check for when doing electical on an older vehicle is that all grounds are clean and tight . If in droubt add a ground strap. If the switch is getting hot , the new bulbs my draw too many amps . Might need to install a relay to piggyback the stock harness.

Black trucks only

Status

Quote Originally Posted by DodgeSqD View Post
    First thing to check for when doing electical on an older vehicle is that all grounds are clean and tight . If in droubt add a ground strap. If the switch is getting hot , the new bulbs my draw too many amps . Might need to install a relay to piggyback the stock harness.
    I did take the dash off and the switch behind it is getting warm. I may just try to get a new light switch and put regular headlight bulbs in if that will solve the problem. I really do like the SilverStar Ultra Headlights and would like to keep them but I am not too good with electrical and have never installed a relay to something that did not come factory with it. I'm not too bad at replacing parts with a new part though haha.
    Where would the ground be located for the light switch? Thank you so much for chiming and as well!!

Black trucks only

Status

Its weird to believe nobody else has had this issue on the 98s when ive read many other threads on it here. The only issue is nobody ever tells how to put in a relay for them. Can you swap in a 99+ switch? My 99 which i just sold never had the issue of going through switches and from what I read the 99 is a updated newer style switch so it fix the issue...
    Upon further research i think the ultra bulbs draw 4.3 amps ... what is the oem ?

+ Reply to Thread